Another neophyte question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 worldeater33

worldeater33

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hey guys, I just bought 2 core sets. I was hoping for some advice on the best faction combinations for beginners. I've got friends coming over today to try it out. I've read a lot about mixing human and monster decks together, but I needed to know which combos are the best. Thanks

#2 Pac_Man3D

Pac_Man3D

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

Hi worldeater33

When my girlfriend and I started with the core set, we used the following combinations:

Syndicate + Yog-Sothoth - for dodginess and mystical action

Hastur + Miskatonic - for those all-important investigation icons and some nasty insanity effects

Cthulhu + Shub (or Agency) - for lots of terror and destruction

and then we shuffled in the neutrals or hand-picked the particular ones that we liked.

Hope that helps. And watch out for that Ravager from the Deep (in the Cthulhu deck) - he's a nuisance.

Best wishes

Pac_Man3D

#3 TheProfessor

TheProfessor

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

I recommend just trying various mixtures to get some sense of the characters.  Just dont' be concerned if one pairing seems to be more powerful than another - at this point you are just trying out different things and learning how to play the game.

I remember that when I played my first game I thought Insanity was way too powerful...  took a few games until I got a better sense of the balance and how it all worked.

#4 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

After getting my first Core set I did some extensive testing of all faction combinations. Maybe you will find it useful. Here's the link.

#5 worldeater33

worldeater33

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

Excellent link. Exactly what I needed. Thanks.

#6 jasonconlon

jasonconlon

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

For those new to the game, there's also a handy summary of each of 'The Factions' on the Call of Cthulhu 'Description' product page at http://www.fantasyfl...?eidm=11&esem=1

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS