• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 shidarin

shidarin

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

Removed by request

Edited by shidarin, 27 August 2013 - 04:06 PM.

• FangGrip likes this

AT-DiceRoller

#2 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

The term is Copyright, not copywrite. The law is about the Right to Copy, not the Right to Write.

#3 shidarin

shidarin

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for catching that, I always mistype that if I'm not paying attention.

AT-DiceRoller

#4 FangGrip

FangGrip

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:48 AM

Very Pretty.  :D

Check out a truly universal RPG with Free Starter Rules at www.AlphaChronicles.com!

Check out the Consummate Gamer Blog for everything that isn't Alpha Chronicles.

#5 Rookhelm

Rookhelm

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'd love this for iPad.  I don't have a laptop at the moment to use during a game.

#6 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

I'd love this for iPad.  I don't have a laptop at the moment to use during a game.

I'd bet money that as soon as he puts it out for iPad or Android, he will get sued by FFG, seeing as they already have a Star Wars Dice App for those platforms.  He's already breaking copyright now (by calling it Star Wars Dice), but they might not care since their app doesn't have a Windows or OSX version.

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s, 4 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 3 Phantoms

#7 shidarin

shidarin

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

If it goes on iPad or Android, it won't be under this name (think of Unofficial SWD as a working name..), but if they wanted to it wouldn't make a difference- as it still uses dice icons, etc. If they want to, they'll C&D, and I'll comply.

However, they haven't shut down Empire Dice yet, and he's charging for it (I don't plan to).

Edited by shidarin, 20 August 2013 - 12:01 PM.

AT-DiceRoller

#8 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

I'd bet money that as soon as he puts it out for iPad or Android, he will get sued by FFG, seeing as they already have a Star Wars Dice App for those platforms.

Sue? no. A cease and desist letter from FFGs lawyers, almost certainly.

#9 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

If it goes on iPad or Android, it won't be under this name (think of Unofficial SWD as a working name..), but if they wanted to it wouldn't make a difference- as it still uses dice icons, etc. If they want to, they'll C&D, and I'll comply.

However, they haven't shut down Empire Dice yet, and he's charging for it (I don't plan to).

Well... there are a billion apps that do not have to go through quite the same process as Apple ones. Perhaps you JUST NOW let FFG know about it. lol.

Also I will point out something that it seems no one making these apps is paying attention to. There is a game useful mechanic to being able to see what dice you failed on. No one seems to get this.

My players when playing in person would do things like... look at the failures on the setback die and point out "It was not my fault! it was the damn weather/cover/etc (whatever the setback dice were for)"

Edited by BrashFink, 20 August 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#10 Colyer

Colyer

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

Well... there are a billion apps that do not have to go through quite the same process as Apple ones. Perhaps you JUST NOW let FFG know about it. lol.

Also I will point out something that it seems no one making these apps is paying attention to. There is a game useful mechanic to being able to see what dice you failed on. No one seems to get this.

My players when playing in person would do things like... look at the failures on the setback die and point out "It was not my fault! it was the damn weather/cover/etc (whatever the setback dice were for)"

Yeah. When narrating a roll it can be really helpful to know where it went wrong. My most common is in starship combat. The dice clearly tell you when a shot misses and when a shot hits but the shields hold. Those two outcomes have a significantly different feel despite having an identical mechanical outcome.

Edited by Colyer, 20 August 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#11 shidarin

shidarin

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hmm, let me think on how to clearly represent what each dice is coming up with.

Maybe a small line at the top of the results area, with individual results color coded by dice type?

So 1 yellow success, 1 green success, 1 green advantage, 1 purple threat, 2 grey failures?

Thoughts?

• BrashFink likes this

AT-DiceRoller

#12 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

But in what order are you doing the cancels? And there really isn't a difference between the Green and Yellow or the Purple and Red when doing the summation. Reason being, you can't tell the difference between a high skill, low characteristic character and a high characteristic, low skill character since the pools are the same.

#13 Colyer

Colyer

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

But in what order are you doing the cancels? And there really isn't a difference between the Green and Yellow or the Purple and Red when doing the summation. Reason being, you can't tell the difference between a high skill, low characteristic character and a high characteristic, low skill character since the pools are the same.

Sure you can. You just have to apply it in the context of the character. Just because the Green and Yellow can represent either doesn't mean you don't know which represents which in each roll.

That said, I really only care about Boosts and Setbacks, myself.

#14 shidarin

shidarin

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

I don't need to tell the difference- but the GM and Player could certainly tell which is which by what skill they rolled- and like Colyer said most won't care- they'll only care about the boost/setback since those are the most important to the narrative.

AT-DiceRoller

#15 Zev Linare

Zev Linare

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:11 AM

Very cool, but why did the Force die get no love?

#16 Rookhelm

Rookhelm

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

If you want to know "which dice matter" in terms of success or failure, you'd have to establish a cancel order. Like, cancel successes in the following order:

-boost

-proficiency

-skill

That way, you'd know which success "helped".

#17 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

Yeah we usually do not per se cancel in order or get that detailed, but it comes up sometimes when it is obvious. Stuff like:

...failures were both on the  2 Setback dice, so it is outside forces

...ALL the failures on the Red dice... your adversary's skill level ruined everything

...No successes on yellow dice... the characters own skill was not enough to overcome situation

You can also even just use it for successes overall. Did the successes come from green or red? You can tell if it is natural ability or skills.

#18 shidarin

shidarin

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

Removed by request

Edited by shidarin, 27 August 2013 - 04:06 PM.

AT-DiceRoller

#19 Zev Linare

Zev Linare

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

Sweet addition with the Critical rolling! I love this program.

So what's this Adversary and Encounter management?

#20 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

This is looking pretty badass.

EDIT: I, actually I had very little use for this since we play online and have to use the roller built into the Google+ hangout... but then I saw the Crit Roller... WHEW! pretty cool!

Edited by BrashFink, 27 August 2013 - 12:56 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS