Fight vs Combat, please clarify

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sorednax

sorednax

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

The rules for combat state you use your fight skills, plus any item cards (like guns/whips/etc) that give you modifiers to your combat.

But in the final bttle, it seems the write up on the ancient ones specify "your FIGHT skill" and not necessarily your combat, ergo, do you get your modifiers from items, spells, etc?  Or is is just your stright fight skill?

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

When "in Combat" against a Monster, you use the Investigator's Fight Skill along with anything (ally, weapon, spell, etc.) that adds a bonus for either Fight (Tom "Mountain" Man' Murphy's +2 Fight) or Combat (.45 Pistol's +4 to combat).

However, if an encounter requires a Fight check, only the Fight check and anything that provides a bonus solely to Fight (i.e. Sledgehammer's +1 Fight and not the Combat bonus) may be used

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

So, I think it was clarified for me like this...

When Combat is specified = Fight + Weapons

When Fight is specified = Just Fight Skill

#4 Joseph_Lavode

Joseph_Lavode

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

But in the final bttle, it seems the write up on the ancient ones specify "your FIGHT skill" and not necessarily your combat, ergo, do you get your modifiers from items, spells, etc?  Or is is just your stright fight skill?

In final battle you do get to add any applicable combat bonuses from items.

#5 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,501 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

In final battle you do get to add any applicable combat bonuses from items.

And that's the reason why we read "magical immunity" / "physicaly resistance" and so on on the AOs sheets... otherwise, if only Fight counted, we couldn't care the less about immunities or resistances...

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#6 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

So, I think it was clarified for me like this...

When Combat is specified = Fight + Weapons

When Fight is specified = Just Fight Skill

If by this you mean the same thing Professor said, then ok.  Otherwise, I think you might be slightly off course.

There are two type of bonuses, Combat bonuses and Fight bonuses.  All Fight bonuses are also Combat bonuses, but Combat bonuses are not Fight bonuses.

Therefore, in Combat, you gain all + Combat and all + Fight modifiers.  If you're maing a Fight skill check outside of combat, you only get + Fight modifiers.  This is not quite the same as saying "Combat = Fight + Weapons" because it is possible that some weapons may provide a + Fight bonus, which would apply to Fight checks equally well.

Combat = Fight Skill + Fight Modifers + Combat Modifiers

Fight Check = Fight Skill + Fight Modifiers

#7 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

or for those of you of discriminating tastes...all cognac is brandy, but not all brandy is cognac!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS