Stealth Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Venters

Venters

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

So I just played a game and we had a question about stealth come up that i was hoping you guys could help answer.

So I made a Baratheon/Nights Watch Deck and my opponent was playing a Greyjoy deck.

He begins a Power attack on me and declares stealth on my Stannis Baratheon.

Could I then kneel Recruiter for the Watch to give Stannis the Nights Watch Keyword and then kneel 3 influence to play The Feast of the Crows to give Stannis Stealth thus making him unable to stealth past, assuming of course that i had other nights watch character's in play to fulfill the rest of The Feast of the Crows event card.

My opponent said I couldn't do that because stealth had already been declared and thus it was too late.

Edited by Venters, 17 August 2013 - 11:20 PM.

#2 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:44 PM

Check the timing diagram in the FAQ. It goes like this:

1. Attacker declares challenge type and declares attackers

2. *PLAYER ACTIONS*

3. Stealth targets are chosen and defenders are declared.

4. *PLAYER ACTIONS*

more stuff follows...

So, yes, there would be an opportunity for you to give Stannis stealth between him declaring attackers and him declaring stealth.

#3 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

However, keep in mind that once stealth actually is declared, your opponent is correct that it is too late to all of that to give Stannis stealth. The question is, did the attacker give you an actual opportunity to take actions before declaring stealth.

Now, a lot of people tend to say "I attack with X, and stealth Y" when they declare their attack. If this happens, the attacker jumped the gun and has to give you a chance to play actions before they declare stealth. Of course, they get to declare stealth against someone else when you're done if they want. Effectively, they skipped #2 in radiskull's sequence above and have to go back to do it.

But a lot of people have gotten in the habit of saying "I attack with X. Is there anything you want to do before I assign stealth?" If you say "No," and they then say "I stealth Y," you cannot then take actions that affect their choice of stealth because they gave you a chance to play in #2 of the above sequence, and you waited for #4.

So it sounds like both you and your opponent could have been right. It all depends on whether #2 had been skipped, or whether you didn't think to give Stannis stealth until #4. (On the information we have, I'd guess #2 had been skipped; you'd know if he had asked "do you want to do anything before I assign stealth".)

#4 Venters

Venters

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

Well my opponent did do what radiskull said, IE I attack and declare stealth on this target.  However I also messed up as it seems since I didn't think to give stealth to stannis till as I was trying to figure out how to block his attack which i think would then be phase 4?

I can see how timing is much more important in this game than i had originally thought.

So thanks for the quick replies and clarification guys.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS