ranged question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Netch

Netch

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

The rules says that an enemy doesn't have any boundaries when i comes to ranged, when the COG is in line of sight. But there must be some sort of max ranged for Locust? The other day while playing, i got shot and died from a Locust attack from over 3 boards away(!!!) because nothing disturbed its LOS. 

#2 ThisIsMyBoomstick

ThisIsMyBoomstick

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

There is no maximum range for the Locust, and that's why it's suggested that you take cover as often as possible, because the way LoS works in the game is that if you are not on cover and the enemy is not on cover, then there is LoS as long as both sections that the attacker and defender are in can be met without any walls separating.  If you're on cover though, the LoS has to be drawn from the enemy's board section to your exact location, thus there is a great chance that it will intersect a wall and the Locust can't attack.  If the Locust is on cover, then LoS goes from his exact location to the board section you're on, and if you're both in cover, then LoS is from his exact location to your exact location.

You can always make a house rule saying that certain Locust can't fire beyond a certain range.  You could make the Locust ranges equal to that of the amount of damage they do when they attack.  Easy to implement and easy to remember.  And then from there, any AI Cards that say "If a COG player is in LoS," you also include the range there, so if he's out of range, you'll refer to the "Otherwise" section of the AI Card.

Hope that helps clarify the rule for you and gives you some idea of what you can do to change it if you don't like it.  : )

Edited by ThisIsMyBoomstick, 16 August 2013 - 11:02 AM.

• Netch likes this

#3 Netch

Netch

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for clarifying it for me! It's only when i play solo it is a problem. When it's with other i just think it will give the game a more thrilling experience :) 

• ThisIsMyBoomstick likes this

#4 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Just gotta hope the setup is kind and creates a twisty map, but if you get a straight corridor of sorts with LOS from one end to the other, particularly Boomers and Theron Guard can ruin your day from far beyond your range of guarding them first.

• willmanx and Netch like this

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#5 Netch

Netch

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

Yeah i experienced that tonight! Auch... 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS