Execution and Alternate Characters

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 coastcityo

coastcityo

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

Someone pointed out that there doesn't seem to be a rule explicitly prohibiting selecting an alternate version of an executed character. I had a quick re-read of he rules myself, and had to come up with a bit of lawyering to prohibit it based on the use of the word "chooses" in the Exodus execution rule. I am of course against someone switching from O-Helo to P-Helo after an execution, and just thought I would throw this up here hoping FFG might notice for their FAQ.

#2 Mephisto666

Mephisto666

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

It appears (on page 5 DBE rules) you select which version of that character will be in use during the game, and the other one may not be select by others (period).  There is no exception listed (or reinforcement) in the execution section.

It is noted that "Sharon"'s are not alternate versions. 

#3 coastcityo

coastcityo

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

Someone pointed out the actual wording is no other player may select the alternate character. I'm all in favor of "boxing" the alternate, I'm just pointing out there isn't an official wording in Black and White saying you can't, because there is no mention of Execution in the Daybreak rules.

#4 Mephisto666

Mephisto666

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

Yes, it might have been clearer if they put in a section just prior to that explicitly stating that if there is a conflict in the rules that Daybreak takes precedence.

#5 Zarach

Zarach

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

In the Exodus Expansion, the rules for Allies on page 17 address this:

"Any time an Ally Card is drawn, if it represents a character who is being used by a player or who has been executed, return that Ally card to the box and draw a new one."

And in Daybreak P. 17 (Ionian Nebula):

"Sharon 'Athena' Agathon is not the same character as Sharon 'Boomer' Valerii.  If no player has chosen Sharon 'Boomer' Valerii, do not return the Sharon 'Boomer' Valerii Ally Card to the box when it is drawn, even if a player has chosen Sharon 'Athena' Agathon."

I do agree they could be as specific in any of the printed execution rules or FAQ.  But for now, because they clearly thought about it in the Ally design, dead is dead so remove alternate characters from the game as soon as one of their versions are chosen during character selection.

"If you were the inventors of Facebook, you'd have invented Facebook" - The Social Network.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS