Welcome to BattleLore Second Edition!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 ffgjosh

ffgjosh

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

Welcome to the community forums for BattleLore Second Edition, the board game of intense, squad-based warfare for two players!

You can learn all about what BattleLore Second Edition holds in store for you by reading our announcement of the product and the game's description page. You can also find an interview with Richard Borg, the original designer of BattleLore, in which he shares his thoughts on this new edition.

Then feel free to share your thoughts with others. Just remember to keep your language and content family-friendly. Enjoy!

#2 Lilikin

Lilikin

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Looks very Runewars artwork,  could be interesting?

Edited by Lilikin, 14 August 2013 - 09:34 AM.

Wait lassie what's that noise? A few people telling FFG on a forum how to make their own games, well lassie that told them

I have three more ships than you so my opinion is twice as valid!!

#3 farrlinn

farrlinn

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

Does this have similar mechanics like Memoir 44? The cards displayed look very familiar for issuing orders. 

#4 Sanjay

Sanjay

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

I recently started playing Descent 2nd edition.  Never played Battle Lore, but may have to give it a go.  Am I correct that the game uses the same scale of figures as Descent? It would be cool to have some extra monster types.  Granted, I'd have to come up with some stats.  Not hard.

#5 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

First thing I thought of when reading the announcement! Wonder if this will mean Runewars has had its day?

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#6 ByronC

ByronC

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

I'm quite excited, that Battlelore will be revived, but quite disappointed at the same time, that the new miniatures will have a different scale. It seems that all my painted minis cannot be reused as it was possible for Descent...

#7 rickert

rickert

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

Will it be shown at GenCon in about 20 hours?

#8 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

Yep. There are pics of BattleLore2 from GenCon up at BGG right now.  

#9 Lilikin

Lilikin

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

First thing I thought of when reading the announcement! Wonder if this will mean Runewars has had its day?

I seriously hope not, runewars is great :(

Wait lassie what's that noise? A few people telling FFG on a forum how to make their own games, well lassie that told them

I have three more ships than you so my opinion is twice as valid!!

#10 toddrew

toddrew

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

Not the announcement I was hoping for, but C&C:Terrinoth does look like it will be fun.  Hope this does well.

• SolennelBern likes this

#11 Stacie_GmrGrl

Stacie_GmrGrl

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

I never got into the first BattleLore.... it was before I entered this wonderful hobby... so I am so stoked for this coming out. :) 

#12 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:46 PM

I've had my eyes on Runewars for about a year and have been increasingly interested in the Runebound universe. I love Rune Age and got my extended family hooked on it as well. With this new announcement, I'm not sure if I should get Runewars next year or go for BattleLore. Both look interesting...

However, I think Runewars still wins out in my book. I like that it has four armies instead of just 2. My wife doesn't really approve of the Uthuk Y'llan and their demon worship, so I have trouble imagining that this game would hit the table. If an expansion is released with the Latari Elves and Waiqar the Undying, I think I might pick this up.

Still, I'll be watching this one closely. The war-faction aspects of the Terrinoth appeal much more to me than the hero aspects.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#13 toddrew

toddrew

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:09 AM

However, I think Runewars still wins out in my book. I like that it has four armies instead of just 2. My wife doesn't really approve of the Uthuk Y'llan and their demon worship, so I have trouble imagining that this game would hit the table. If an expansion is released with the Latari Elves and Waiqar the Undying, I think I might pick this up.

Wager heavily that more races will be coming out within a year - and likely the Elves and Undying would both be included at some point.  Not sure if that helps to gain your wife's favor for this game, but it should be possible to play without involving the Uthuk Y'llan before too long.

#14 poet1001

poet1001

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

Why should it? Battlelore is not a replacement for runewars. These games are absolutely different. BattleLore is a tactical game for two players. Runewars is a strategic game for up to 4 players. I still have hopes that they will anounce new expansion for runewars (with new races and possibility to play the game with up to 6 players).

Edited by poet1001, 15 August 2013 - 06:01 AM.

#15 simpatikool

simpatikool

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

I am a fan of anything Terrinoth. Will most likely have to get this!

#16 Velos

Velos

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

Just take my money.... Take it!!
  • Manchu8990 and SolennelBern like this

#17 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Why should it? Battlelore is not a replacement for runewars. These games are absolutely different. BattleLore is a tactical game for two players. Runewars is a strategic game for up to 4 players. I still have hopes that they will anounce new expansion for runewars (with new races and possibility to play the game with up to 6 players).

True. I had hoped that, following Oath & Anvil last year, we'd be seeing Orcs and Dwarves for Runewars shortly. However, it was just a gut instinct that this now feels like Runewars. Maybe because I've only played Runewars two-player. 

And Budgernaut - good to see you back  :)

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#18 Roberious

Roberious

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

Very excited about this, I regularly play Battlelore and love the game for it's quick and easy playing style, being a huge tabletop miniatures fan but not always having the time to play, Battlelore has many of the elements I enjoy especially miniatures. Now looks as though the revision will add even better elements to the game play such as the scenario design and building your own forces, can't wait. 

#19 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

And Budgernaut - good to see you back  :)

Thanks!

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#20 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

Does this have similar mechanics like Memoir 44? The cards displayed look very familiar for issuing orders. 

The original Battlelore used the same system (Command & Colors system) as the one used in Battlecry, Memoir '44, etc.

This 2nd edition has some twisted in the system though as it is announced.

Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS