AH, MoM, ES and others

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

The LCG, of course, is just not in the same league. While it is wonderfully developed now, and such, I feel that it is just a combat card game with some wonderful art and Lovecraftian names thrown around. That's not to say I dislike it, of course, I merely have a completely different set of expectations when I get the cards out. 

This is a really good thread, both in terms of opinions and resources, and I have very little to add to it, except that the above quote has me thinking about the factors that shape my expectations of a game.  For example, I still haven't played Elder Sign, but based on the previews and videos I've seen, I imagine that the immersion would break very easily for me, and that my experience would suffer.  But at the same time, immersion failures are part of what I absolutely love about the LCG.  I defy any of you not to smile at the thought of a Clever Zoog driving a Getaway Car.  The game succeeds beautifully, but on its own terms. 

And maybe that's why MoM sparks such an ambivalent response...AH, visionary and baroque as it is, is either your kind of game or completely not your kind of game (and you can probably tell without even opening the box), whereas MoM has that "designed by a marketing committee" feeling of being almost the right game for a wider range of people, but just ends up leaving a lot of them frustrated. 

(Not that I have anything about hybrids and other crossover-type games, mind you; when they work, they're fantastic, but there's definitely a trade-off between, say, gamist and narrativist elements, and some combinations will work better for a given set of design goals than others.)

• spalanzani likes this

#22 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

I usually don't play with Zoogs, but that thought has made me grin quite a bit!  :D

The point about Elder Sign is very valid. There are probably hundreds of examples that have cropped up (as I've suddenly been playing the game a lot lately), but one that I had in mind specifically when I wrote that over the page was Harvey Walters going against The Curator. I think ES could benefit greatly from more adventure cards that have some sort of character element to them, rather than being representations of a physical object, but that's an aside. I tend to think of the tasks on adventure cards as being akin to skill checks in a RPG, say, and rather than having to roll a 6 to succeed, or whatever, you just have to roll a match. So Harvey is matching wits against the Curator to see how much he knows, and I think it took four attempts (and the intervention of Dr Fern) to succeed, which wasn't so much "the dice hate me" as "Harvey just isn't a match for the mental sparring of The Curator!" 

I'm not exactly explaining this very enticingly, but it is definitely, for me, more of an immersive and exciting game than a lot of people give it credit for. If you only expect to have fun, and enjoy the LCG, then I'd definitely recommend ES as well!  :)

• Julia and subochre like this

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#23 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:01 AM

About Call of the Wild, I did not enjoy its scenarios very much. They are geared to replayable mechanics (maybe less broken but that a point I do not care much about) but the stories are gone. It is much closer to a cluedo game than to an immersive adventure. Though, most of MoM players enjoyed a lot that extension.

Yes, it seems a lot of people have been praising this box. The cynical part of me wonders if this is merely because of the widespread dislike of Forbidden Alchemy meaning many folks were relieved with how this was by comparison. Though there are many positive reviews that are pretty articulate on the subject on bgg, so bang goes my theory! I did actually like FA - the Herbert West scenario was a lot of fun, as I recall. 

As a secondary theory, it is entirely possible that many people liked CotW because it was so liberating as regards the linear scenarios put out up to this point. This is precisely the reason that I didn't like it, however, even though there was much to enjoy. The aimless investigating just seemed a bit too haphazard to me. 

Well, anyway...

Another reasons, is that the people who praised the most that expansion were involved in the play-testing. That

is annoying I guess.

By the way, having no linear clue chain is an old idea trhat was used in several fan-made scenarios (as were Allies and most of what is used in Call of the Wild actually :-) ). Though, some of the fan mades kept an excellent narration while

removing the linearity of the clue hunt.

Mansions of Madness, Esoteric Order of Dagon

Play Arkham Horror with a Keeper

Variants for Arkham Horror

#24 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:04 AM

really, to me, nothing compare to some of the fan-mades (not all sadly). I can built a list of very good scenarios if anyone is interested.

There is only one good , knowledge, and only one evil, ignorance (Socrates)

If you have time, I'd love to see a list of home brewed scenarios, with maybe one line of description saying why it is good or bad

I'd be happy to provide my subjective opinion. I will rank and comment all the ones I have 15 fan-mades I have played in the coming week.

cheers

#25 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:05 AM

My favorite flavor these days is the stripped down to one page version of the 3.5 SRD designed by Robin Stacey called Microlite 20. It is pure poetry and it's free. An unbelievable feat for a game system that ran into the hundreds of pages to be stripped to 1 page. You can add on anything you like (yes, all my favorite games are modular thus my liking AH) but you can use anything ever written for D&D with it and it works.

I will check this one asap. It is not entirely heroic-fantasy, is it?

It works with everything. There is a guy who compiles all the different variants that people have constructed along with the base construct as well.

It has grown huge in the last few years. Here is the most recent 2 volume collection:

Vol I: http://www.mediafire...12-Volume-I.pdf

Vol II: http://www.mediafire...2-Volume-II.pdf

And here's a look at what's inside:

[...]

Anything you can imagine you can play. Mechs vs Cthulhu in the Weird West with Goblins? Check :)

(NOTE: They missed a typo.- Microlite20 Cthulthu [p 703] )

Great. Will check asap.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS