Photo

So what the heck are we calling this system anyhow?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Zychon

Zychon

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:05 AM

Saw this discussion dispersed amongst other topics, but I think this deserves its own thread -particularly since we're close to our second installment. Is it "Star Wars Roleplaying" as it looks to be? That's fine for the publisher, but it seems too vague for the community. I get the feeling that community made content like blogs and podcasts will have to prepend everything with the publisher's name.

"This vehicle is slightly different in Fantasy Flight Games' Star Wars Roleplaying System"

That's a bit tedious, and FFG:SWR 'aint no better.

I guess "Star Wars Roleplaying" could stick, but I think that will confuse people. I've seen FFGN too, but as fun as it is to say, "Figgin" sounds off-putting.

Anyone have any suggestions? Bear in mind, I'm suggesting an shortened community nickname for the system, not a change in the official published name.

I'm always tempted to call Edge of the Empire "EoE" instead of the more accepted and logical "EotE". Ee-Oh-Ee rolls off the tongue better, but -most importantly, "EoE" kinda looks like a TIE fighter!

...mmmrrrRRROOOOOAAAAAAWWWWWRRRRwwwwwrrrr!

• Jegergryte likes this

#2 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

Well earlier iterations are dubbed WEG/D6, d20 (often differentiated between OCR and RCR) and SE - from what I understand.

I think that specifying which FFG game referred to will carry on at least until F&D is released. I think that FFGSWRPG might appear, its long though. FFGSW is shorter. Who knows. Let's see what the community comes up with. You never know, it might just stay with game referrals rather than system or group of games.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#3 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:50 AM

I would steer away from EotE since that is referring to just one part of the overall system.

Many have been calling this new narrative system developed by FFG as just that, FFG's narrative system. That started back when Warhammer was released. I would hope that any term for Star Wars which uses a new version of this system, would also have the term, "narrative". The dice are also extremely important to this system.

Why can't we drop the "FFG"? I know FFG would hate that, but in some of the examples above the company name is not used. For example, we call it "d20" not the "WotC System". So why not something based on the narrative Star Wars RPG? Or the narrative dice Star Wars RPG since the dice are so essential to the system. How about simply "dN" for this narrative system using special dice?

That was a round about way of getting to that, sorry for my thought dump. Warhammer dN and Star Wars or SWdN is simple to type and descriptive.

#4 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

How about something without an acronym. I may just be becoming a little bit of curmudgeon when it comes down to most people abbreviating everything.

The system for X-wing is called "flightpath", so why not "the chronicle system"?
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#5 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

Narrative Star Wars? N Star Wars? or as you say SWdN... why not SWN and NSW, the d isn't necessary is it? Narrative dice Star Wars? Narrative system Star Wars? I think, due to how Little and Stewart and all of them always emphasise Narrative, that we should call it Nd or just N rather than dN, but of course this is details ... and who knows. It might not catch on :ph34r:

I still think people will refer to the game they prefer/are playing, so people preferring/playing EotE will refer to that, and refer to AoR if something is borrowed from there, and vice versa.

I think, since Samophlange posted before I got to click post, that going for a non-acronym is a great idea (although any name will be acronymified, its just to be expected). Chronicle is a good idea, I think "Narrative system" or "Narration system" works too...

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

#6 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:35 AM

I think, since Samophlange posted before I got to click post, that going for a non-acronym is a great idea (although any name will be acronymified, its just to be expected). Chronicle is a good idea, I think "Narrative system" or "Narration system" works too...

When I actually SPEAK to someone about this system I've used the term, "narrative". But, when typing many of us would rather type a short acronym then something longer. When we are speaking specifically of Edge of the Empire or Age of Rebellion, we are already typing EotE and AoR. So even if we start calling the total system narrative or chronicle, it's gonna get shortened whether we like it or not.

dNar. So you can say, "Sorry guys I'm going to be late for dNar tonight". :)

#7 Yoda0VGs

Yoda0VGs

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

Me and my Friends just refer to the System as Edge. One of my friends is even converting the "Edge System" weapons and gear into a WWI campaign. Although I have no clue what we're gnna call AoR or F&D.

#8 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:48 AM

DNAAAR!

#9 fjw70

fjw70

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

I like Star Wars Roleplay (SWRP).
  • Cilionelle and Keeop like this

#10 kmanweiss

kmanweiss

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

I think we should call it the EOTEAORF&D system.  That way we don't leave anything out.

D-Narrative isn't bad.  D-Narr (pronounced D-Nare) is ok.  DN sounds off.  SWRP could honestly refer to any of the older systems too.

After sitting here for 10 minutes and repeating these names over and over (anyone listening probably thinks I'm having a stroke), I'd say the Dnarr or Dnare are the best.  We could just write it as DN or Dn but say it as Dnar or Dnare.

#11 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

I think we should call it the EOTEAORF&D system.  That way we don't leave anything out.

D-Narrative isn't bad.  D-Narr (pronounced D-Nare) is ok.  DN sounds off.  SWRP could honestly refer to any of the older systems too.

After sitting here for 10 minutes and repeating these names over and over (anyone listening probably thinks I'm having a stroke), I'd say the Dnarr or Dnare are the best.  We could just write it as DN or Dn but say it as Dnar or Dnare.

My joke was suggesting pronouncing it as "dinner", but your suggestion of "d-nare" is of course better since the "nar" part is derived from "narrative".

I suggested dN versus DN because of the relation to past systems called d6 or d20. It's a dice-based narrative system where the dice, like the d6 of WEG and d20 of WotC, are the basis of the entire system. It is only slightly easier to type DN versus dN.

#12 shidarin

shidarin

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

I've also been wondering about this, and am disappointed to see that they've created an entirely seperate forum for AoR, instead of one master General Discussion for both AoR and EotE with specific forums underneath that.

• Sturn likes this

AT-DiceRoller

#13 Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

I'm going to call it "Corky," because despite my entreaties to the Vatican, it doesn't seem that they want to call a Pope that.

• DoctorWhat likes this

"Mr. Flibble is very cross."

--Arnold J. Rimmer

#14 Tallon

Tallon

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

I've been calling it FFSW (Fantasy Flight Star Wars)

#15 gwek

gwek

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

I like "the Triumph and Despair system" or maybe "d Crazy".

#16 Red331

Red331

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

As mentioned earlier, past versions are often now referred to as WEG d6, and WotC d20. 

FFG dN     (Fantasy Flight Games d-Narrative), seems like a good fit.

Edited by Red331, 13 August 2013 - 01:01 PM.

• Sturn likes this

#17 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

How about something without an acronym. I may just be becoming a little bit of curmudgeon when it comes down to most people abbreviating everything.

The system for X-wing is called "flightpath", so why not "the chronicle system"?

Chronicle system is the official name of what greenronin designed for their song of ice and fire game.

I like "Narritive Dice system".

#18 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

Since FFG calls it "Star Wars Roleplaying" (note the lack of "Game" on the end of that), why not just call it SWFFG?

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#19 FangGrip

FangGrip

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

Since FFG calls it "Star Wars Roleplaying" (note the lack of "Game" on the end of that), why not just call it SWFFG?

Swiffig just doesn't roll of the tongue.  Unless their marketing comes up with something more palatable, I think I am going to simply call it by the individual acronyms like I have been.

Check out a truly universal RPG with Free Starter Rules at www.AlphaChronicles.com!

Check out the Consummate Gamer Blog for everything that isn't Alpha Chronicles.

#20 Endrik Tenebris

Endrik Tenebris

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

I vote we call it EotE&AoR&F&D

Or perhaps Or perhaps Age of Rebellion on the Destiny and Edge of the Empire Force.  AoRotDaEotEF, or ARDEEF!

But in all seriousness, we could call it ERF.  Empire, Rebellion, Force. 

Edited by Endrik Tenebris, 13 August 2013 - 08:22 PM.

FFG Star Wars RPG Content - Periodic Updates.  Species, items, and more:  https://www.dropbox....3x57/qXerqp6BHq

FFG Star Wars Mass Effect Conversion - In Progress:   https://www.dropbox....woxz/xr0nnETGK4

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS