Photo

What is a specified item has already gone on Set up?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 AbslomDaak

AbslomDaak

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Actually, this didn't just happen to me....but it nearly did.

If, say, Joe is the 4th player to act on the set up? His starting items entitle him to a .45.

As it happened, Mandy drew a .45. When I flicked through the deck, I found - thankfully - there was a 2nd one. But supposing this had been drawn by another player before we got to Joe? (or if there is an investigator entitled to a card of which there is only one and it is previously randomly drawn?)

I guess the fair thing to do is to insist that the investigator who draw the last remaining specified item at random (e.g. the 2nd .45 in the core game) returns this to the deck and draws again, thereby ensuring that all investigators do actually start with their specified items.

My fallback was to give Joe the .38.

I can't find anything in any FAQ about this, so advice appreciated.

And thanks too for the very warm welcome on this forum!

Am loving this game already :-)

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

This things pops up here and there... I don't remember any official answer, but I guess you should simply give another substitutive item drawn at random from the appopriate deck. If for example you can't give Michael his Tommy Gun, give him a random substitutive common item

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

A common response is to deal a random item from the appropriate deck (as Julia says). But another common response is that the player gets nothing.

As a side note, if you're referring to the encounter that says you should search the deck and take the .45 Automatic, be advised that the encounter is officially supposed to grant you the .38 Revolver. Nobody would trust Dingby with a .45 Automatic!

#4 Mud Turkey 13

Mud Turkey 13

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

I was under the impression that you gave out all of the non-random items before characters selected their random stuff.

#5 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

I was under the impression that you gave out all of the non-random items before characters selected their random stuff.

Aye, the point is when new characters enter play because you have some others devoured. So, let's say you draw Michael and all the tommy guns are already in possession of other investigators. What should you do? This was the OP's question :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#6 Mud Turkey 13

Mud Turkey 13

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

OK.  That makes sense.  I somehow missed that point when I read the topic.

#7 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:43 AM

Aye, the point is when new characters enter play because you have some others devoured. So, let's say you draw Michael and all the tommy guns are already in possession of other investigators. What should you do? This was the OP's question :)

If all of the Investigators have tommy guns, I'd say they are probably doing pretty good already and may not need a new Investigator to join them! XD

#8 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:04 AM

Hey, folks, the OP made no mention of this being tied to an encounter (I can see the confusion since we're talking about .45s and .38s), but instead was merely talking about set-up ~ in which you make sure that each Investigator has their Starting Possessions before they start taking the Random ones.  In this case, there's absolutely no chance that Joe won't get his precious .45

Cheers,

Joe

• Julia likes this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#9 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:42 AM

Hey, folks, the OP made no mention of this being tied to an encounter (I can see the confusion since we're talking about .45s and .38s), but instead was merely talking about set-up ~ in which you make sure that each Investigator has their Starting Possessions before they start taking the Random ones.  In this case, there's absolutely no chance that Joe won't get his precious .45

Cheers,

Joe

:blush: good point Joe... aye, then, if this is to happen during set-up, you deal the fixed possessions first, and then go with the random material

#10 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

Julia,

Having just read over 1,600 "The War" related posts, a 118-page rule book, and writing an 8-page review of the game, I'm attuned to subtleties.  btw, if you get a chance, check out my review over at bgg, under the war game, The War: Europe 1939-1945.

Cheers,

Joe

• Julia likes this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#11 EarthBowser

EarthBowser

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

So is there not an official ruling on what to do if this happens when an investigator joins mid game after someone has been devoured?  I've wondered this for a while actually.  It seems to me like it would be very wrong if McGlen came without his tommy gun.  Or Sister Mary without her cross, or Jim Culver without his Golden Trumpet, or Ashcan Pete without Duke. 

The way I handle it is that whoever is currently in possession of the fixed possession gives it to the incomeing character (if there is more than one and they can't decide, first player chooses) then the person who gave up the item draws a new random item of the same type.  I explain it as that investigator came upon the item and recognized it as the other investigator's and decided to pick it up for safe keeping.  Then when the new investigator shows up to join the good fight, the item is returned to its owner, and as thanks the new investigator gives them a similar item that they had picked up on their way back to Arkham.

#12 Chronicles

Chronicles

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

I keep fixed items in the same envelope as the investigator sheet, token and personal story so they only exist when that character is in the game.

#13 EarthBowser

EarthBowser

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

I keep fixed items in the same envelope as the investigator sheet, token and personal story so they only exist when that character is in the game.

That makes sense.  I personally wouldn't like that certain items would be permanently out of the random deck, though.  It especially would suck that an Elder Sign is gone unless Wendy is in the game.

#14 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

Sounds like someone could SE up all those items into one set and then upload them to BGG. Would save a lot of hassle.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS