Beginner Questions?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 worldeater33

worldeater33

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

No time to comb the forums. Just recently started reading H.P. Lovecrafts work. I absolutely love it. I am also a very avid gamer and was wanting to get into the CoC lcg. I was gonna start with the core set but I was wondering if any experienced players had some advice for me. I've been hearing that its a good idea to purchase multiple copies of the core set. My question is how many? I wont be playing any tournaments any time soon, I just want the game to play with my regular board and card game friends. However, I want the opportunity to build some decks that have some synergy. I just don't feel that 1 copy of every card will provide that synergy. So, is it 2 or 3 copies I should go for. I also need to know if the newer deluxe expansions have 3 copies of each card in them. I don't feel I have the money to buy all of the Asylum packs, so I was just going to stick with the deluxe expansions. Provided that they contain a play set of each card. 

#2 worldeater33

worldeater33

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

One other thing. I would like to keep the different factions reasonably balanced. Which expansions would allow me to do that? I was able to buy all the deluxe expansions for AGoTs and it kept the decks equal in power. I was hoping to do the same for CoC. Is this possible?

Edited by worldeater33, 14 August 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#3 TheProfessor

TheProfessor

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

As you know, the core set has 1 or 3 copies of cards depending on a "rarity" system that is now obsolete.  If you want to play in tournaments, you probably want 3 of everything, but just for fun, it really doesn't matter.

Older asylum packs also had 1 and 3 copies, but the newer ones all have 3.  The recent Deluxe expansions have 3 of each card, but the first one (Secrets of Arkham) had only 2.  

#4 worldeater33

worldeater33

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Thanks. I didn't realize that there was a rarity factor in the earlier boxes. I assumed it was similar to AGoTs in that most of the cards were 1 of's. So maybe I should start with just 1 core set and see how it goes. The later expansions seem like a better buy. Considering the 3 copies of each. 

Edited by worldeater33, 12 August 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#5 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

That is not correct.  The Call of Cthulhu Core set has exactly 1 of every card, it does not use a lumpy distribution system.  Some other LCGs do in their core sets, but Cthulhu does not.

Many years ago when the idea of an LCG first formed, the earliest packs were 40 cards with 10 "Commons" that had 3 copies apiece and 10 "Rares" with 1 copy apiece.  However, this was abandoned a long long time ago and all the packs except the Dreamlands cycle have been re-released with 60 cards (20x3 each).  Dreamlands is on the schedule to be reprinted starting later this year I believe.

Generally I would say that a good start is a Core + Secrets of Arkham.  If you can afford it, a 2nd Core is highly desirable but you can put off the 3rd Core for a long time.

FFG is in the process of putting out faction boxes for all the factions, but so far only two out of eight factions are out (Miskatonic and Yog-Sothoth).  So, it will be a few years to finish them all at the current rate of 3 boxes per year.

If you want to keep things roughly equal, you can add any of the Asylum Packs, or the upcoming Terror in Venice expansion - all of these have roughly equal releases for all factions.

#6 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

Indeed, CoC has the most efficient core set for buying multiples of - the only things you double up on are the board, tokens, and story cards. Even the additional six domain markers could potentially come in useful for things like Eldritch Nexus giving you extra domains. Secrets of Arkham, however, is currently of the "lumpy" distribution method as outlined.

There are currently 8 factions, but the core set will only give you seven, so you'd have to get the Order of the Silver Twilight box to add the eighth in. A lot of people recommend getting the Yuggoth cycle (the red packs) because there are some good 'alternatives' of cards in there (but no Silver Twilight), but I would also add that the Ancient Relics cycle has some really excellent flavoursome cards from around the world - and the first pack, Shifting Sands, has the most up-to-date Story deck for you to use. Each pack gives all factions some cards with a different international feel, so for example the Curse of the Jade Emperor will take Cthulhu to China. It has what I suspect will be a nice feel for when Terror in Venice hits, giving Cthulhu an Italianate charm  :)

Looking at the decks I have currently set up, most of the non-core cards either come from the Yuggoth cycle or the last one, the Revelations cycle. Not that I want to be elitist, or anything, but I would probably stay away from Revelations for a while because a lot of the cards seem to build on earlier cards, which as a new player you might not have. The famous day/night mechanic was introduced in the Dreamlands cycle, which has been mentioned as awaiting reprinting in the 60-card format. There are a few other cards in later expansion cycles that assume you have the cards to make it day or night, but comparatively few cards that will actual do the job, so there are some reasons to avoid later cycles. 

All asylum packs have cards for all factions, though, so you should still be able to get a balanced deck out of buying any of them. If you're going to buy any, though, I would heartily recommend Shifting Sands, just for the Story Cards  :)

Have fun, and I hope you enjoy the game!!!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#7 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:35 AM

Secrets of Arkham, however, is currently of the "lumpy" distribution method as outlined.

Well, lumpy isn't quite the correct word, since it contains the same number of copies of every card. Buy two boxes and sell the fourth set of cards to someone who only bought a single box, yet. THe bigger problem right now is probably, that Secrets of Arkham seems to be out of print.

#8 worldeater33

worldeater33

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

Many thanks guys. I just ordered 2 core sets and I look forward to trying it out. I'll be skulking around the forums now. See you then.

#9 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:35 AM

Secrets of Arkham, however, is currently of the "lumpy" distribution method as outlined.

Well, lumpy isn't quite the correct word, since it contains the same number of copies of every card. Buy two boxes and sell the fourth set of cards to someone who only bought a single box, yet. THe bigger problem right now is probably, that Secrets of Arkham seems to be out of print.

Of course! Thanks for correcting me, I'd forgotten to come back and edit my response. This is, actually, what I did a few months ago, amazon having it cheap. Quite glad I did, as it is now double the price of a deluxe expansion on there...

• jhaelen likes this

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS