Want to explore more of the board

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GothicLez

GothicLez

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

It seems that with a new gate opening up every round and it taking 3-4 rounds to make it through a gate that we never have an opportunity to go visit locations as if we really were investigating the city(we're called investigators right?). So has anyone developed a modified rule set that could allow for more board exploration?

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

How many investigators you play? With more investigators, you have more time to explore. Additionally, you can play this wonderful Guardian created by Amikezor:

AShadowFromThePast-Guardian.jpg

• spalanzani and solidearth like this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 GothicLez

GothicLez

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

Usually 4 investigators. Sometimes we'll have someone play double to make it 5. I am liking that Guardian card ya got there. We're definitely going to be using that soon.

#4 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

Glad of being helpful then! Have fun!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#5 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

Thank you Julia for the recommandation :)

I am glad to see that some of this AH-work is not totaly lost.

• Julia likes this

Mansions of Madness, Esoteric Order of Dagon

Play Arkham Horror with a Keeper

Variants for Arkham Horror

#6 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

Amikezor, it seems like we have a new deal of Arkhamites enjoying home brewed creations, and I can't but be happy for this revival. Custom Heralds, Guardians and also two guys (one is Dj, hence "old school") who started the Advanced Players League. It's good, and it shows interest and passion for the game even after so much time has passed.

• eagermind likes this

#7 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

Alright, I'll scan the Fan section, then :)

thanks for the tip.

Mansions of Madness, Esoteric Order of Dagon

Play Arkham Horror with a Keeper

Variants for Arkham Horror

#8 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

Sorry, we got lost in translation here. Just sayin' new guys coming are appreciating some old stuff :)

Edited by Julia, 12 August 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#9 countermeasures

countermeasures

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

I play with a couple house rules I found online (one of which is directly from Richard Launius - the creator of the game):

Launius' rule:

"Choose to Travel through Gate: Locations with gates do not automatically suck
the Investigator through. Moving through a Gate is a choice for the player, unless a Gate
opens at a location where an Investigator just happens to be visiting – then they are
sucked through as noted in the Rules.
Reason for the House Rule: Enables players more choices and opportunities to have
Arkham Location Encounters. My logic for the rule is that the gate is not huge, probably
only 12 feet by 12 feet and may even be in the basement of the building. The areas at each
location are large - buildings with multiple floors and rooms, or acres of thick woods so
there is an opportunity to still have normal encounters in a location even though nasty
creatures may be slithering through a gate in the basement below."

Other rule I like from one of the Boardgamegeek forums:

"Pre-story Encounters
At the start of the game, prior to drawing the starting mythos card, each character has an encounter at their starting location. Then draw the first mythos card and begin the game as normal.
No Insteads
On the board ignore the phrase “Instead of having an encounter here”. Instead players must have an encounter at a location BEFORE using the locations ability. If the encounter moves them to another space they do not get to use the location ability.
Ursula Downs’ Quick Witted power allows her to use a locations ability without drawing an encounter, or it allows her to use a location ability, have an encounter there, then use the location ability a second time."

My combination of the two - Players can (or must if you prefer) have an Arkham Encounter before moving through the gate. Though you do run the risk of being sent elsewhere or losing sanity, stamina, items, etc., before you can travel through the gate.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS