• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stormwolfe

Stormwolfe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hi.

Arkham Horror has a permanent place in my heart but i have to say we played it s much befor we got into board games properly.  Too much.  Now it jsut seems so same-y.  We borrowed Dunwhich ad it just seems to dd more of the same.

I'm happy to buy an expansion if it will refresh the game for me because i want to want to play it.  

But i'm not sure which is the best expansion to buy that'll bring something new to the experience.  Any suggestions?  Any help?

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,132 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

Expansions sadly tend to be expansions, so that the game increases in variety, but the structure remain unchanged. So, if the problem is the sequence "gather clues - enter a gate - explore an OW - return to Arkham and seal - repeat six times", there are no expansions able to fix this. You could consider going with the casebooks published on the Arkham Investigation site, in order to have some twists in the normal rout.

Among all the expansions, the one probably able to inject some adrenaline is Innsmouth: the board is brutal, and the Personal Stories variant (some sort of miniquest the investigators could complete in order to receive some rewards) add spice to the game.

Not so sure if I answered your question properly; if you have a little time, some more clues on what you're searching for exactly could be helpful to address you better :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

Innsmouth Horror with Lurker at the Threshold is my favourite combination of Arkham Horror as it throws a lot of (mostly doom based) things at you. However, the King in Yellow grants the opportunity to play a very specific type of game which is quite different from anything else!

#4 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

So, if the problem is the sequence "gather clues - enter a gate - explore an OW - return to Arkham and seal - repeat six times", there are no expansions able to fix this. You could consider going with the casebooks published on the Arkham Investigation site, in order to have some twists in the normal rout.

I totally back up this post. Arkham investigation is a great option for you. 

This is the loop that partially got me out of Arkham.

To that regard, I have designed 7 scenarios where this loop is removed. Sadly, I believe only two are in english

http://i779.photobuc...ic-scenario.jpg

http://i779.photobuc...ue-scenario.jpg

You can find the other in french (I can eventually translated some of them if you want) here:

http://wiki.horreura....C3.A9rie_Noire

warm regards

Edited by amikezor, 12 August 2013 - 06:02 AM.

Mansions of Madness, Esoteric Order of Dagon

Play Arkham Horror with a Keeper

Variants for Arkham Horror

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS