• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Pac_Man3D

Pac_Man3D

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Hi folks

What do you think of the potential for a new RPG set in the Arkham Horror universe? Arkham Horror, Mansions of Madness, the CoC LCG and Elder Sign all fit into their own niche within the mythos, sharing characters and organisations created or adapted by Fantasy Flight - surely there's scope for an RPG that uses Fantasy Flight's creations (and perhaps their narrative dice system) to great effect?

Any thoughts?

Pac_Man3D

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

I think Chaosium has covered this quite well with Call of Cthulhu!

• Julia and Pac_Man3D like this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Pac_Man3D

Pac_Man3D

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Haha! Touche. But I reckon Fantasy Flight could put their own spin on things - different system, different ambience, different (and dare I say better) artwork, presentation and support?

Edited by Pac_Man3D, 08 August 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#4 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

Why wait? I have had an Arkham Horror rpg going on for years. I use Arkham Unveiled, which has a big 3d map and is designed in a really fun way - the book works like a telephone directory with numbers on the map corresponding to entries inside. AH characters are very easy to convert, and most of the items too.
If you use rpg tools like Mythic and Mythic variations, you can even play solo...i can personally attest that the plots generated by these tools are capable of some *really* surprising twists. One game lured me into the woods investigating witch cults with a young girl looking for her brother that i was dating only to have her turn out to be my illegitimate sister, discovering that my father - a dentist - was also the head of a cult and the sire of 13. Of which i was eldest and was expected to take over after dad sadly completely lost his mind and never found it again.
This she explained casually as we made out under a tree. When i looked up, there were strange fruits, glistening entrails and bits of people up there...

Edited by dj2.0, 08 August 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#5 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,418 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:19 AM

So, just the fruits were strange, uh? :laughter:

• dj2.0 likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#6 Pac_Man3D

Pac_Man3D

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:48 AM

Though you may denounce this account as the ravings of a degenerate lunatic, I care not, for I alone in that dank forest, the gibbous moon ripening above me, bore witness to that most eldritch of stygian fruits.
  • dj2.0 and spalanzani like this

#7 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

"gibbous" and "stygian" in the same post ~ Huzzah!

• spalanzani and Pac_Man3D like this

The Professor

#8 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

Er... Isn't that Call of Cthulhu, one of the best selling and most popular RPGs of all time.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#9 Pac_Man3D

Pac_Man3D

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Erm... Realms of Cthulhu rpg, check... Trail of Cthulhu rpg, check... CALL of Cthulhu? Nope... not familiar with THAT one (scratches head)...

#10 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

I think there's a market for it potentially. I know ut's already covered by the Call of Cthulu RPG but FFG does do a very good take on the mythos that could be interesting to see in their own RPG.

#11 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:52 AM

Isn't that what Mansions of Madness was /supposed/ to be?

#12 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Isn't that what Mansions of Madness was /supposed/ to be?

Mansions of Madness is boardgamer's poor substitution to RPGs. At best.

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand in line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: we die standing."

-General Sturnn, Cadian 412th regiment

#13 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

XD Never said it was good--just that that is what they had in mind when making it.

And it seems that Eldritch Horror is another attempt at story-building.

#14 Zapranoth

Zapranoth

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

There's a 7th edition Call of Cthulhu rule set due out soon, actually (per the kickstarter that Chaosium is doing).   I'll have to check that out.

#15 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:40 AM

Yup, the books are to be released around October if I'm not mistaken. I'll just wait until they arrive in my e-mail.

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand in line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: we die standing."

-General Sturnn, Cadian 412th regiment

#16 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:19 AM

It's interesting that I'm actually backing into the CoC RPG.  I had eschewed playing it years ago as it seemed rather clunky compared to D&D.  25 years on, and now I'm a die-hard AH fan; read every Lovecraft tale out there; started a business around this game...and only last month did I back on Kickstarter, the 7th edition...funny how things happen.

The Professor

#17 Pac_Man3D

Pac_Man3D

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

@TheProfessor, what's your business?

#18 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,418 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

@TheProfessor, what's your business?

One of the most beautiful things happened in the world of boardgames since Launius created the first AH: The Crafthulhu Experience :)

• Pac_Man3D likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#19 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:33 AM

Julia,

As always, you make me <_< (I guesss that's blushing).  Richard Launius put it best in an e-mail to me..."these are exactly what is needed to bring even greater theme to the game table."

Pac_Man3D,

I can take credit for the original concept and some design ideas, but the actual crafting of our initial Masterpieces goes to my long-time friend, Rob.  He's currently in possession of over 300 pieces, in which he's painstakingly primed, painted, and sealed for delivery, albeit quite delayed, to our Backers.

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 13 August 2013 - 04:34 AM.

The Professor

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS