• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrClever

MrClever

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

Hi, all.

First, to forestall any potentially unhelpful suggestions, I am fully aware of house rules and how to basically make the game what I want it to be, but this is a question that maybe goes beyond the what and addresses the why.

So I was going through Miskatonic Horror, and I noticed that the Injury and Madness cards are to ONLY be used with Dunwich Horror.  Why is that?  I always thought the Injury and Madness cards were a pretty good idea.  Why does the game want me to lug out the Dunwich map and play with that, too?  From what I see, it's not integral to that expansion as much as, say the Exhibits are to Dark Pharaoh or Blights are to King in Yellow.  

I haven't played with Lurker at the Threshold yet, but I like the idea of the Relationship cards. However, the rules say "These cards are only used when playing with" Lurker.  Why is that?  Again, I may be ignorant of Lurker, but is that all there is in that little box?  So if I am playing with Relationships then I am ipso facto playing with that expansion?  

It appears you can play with Nodens or Hypnos in play, but that doesn't mean you MUST incorporate Kingsport.  

So, if there's a real reason why I can't incorporate these things, I'd like to hear about it.  

Thank you!

#2 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:02 AM

I don't think there are any limitations to using Injuries or Relationships even when not using the related expansion. I do it and I know almost everyone else does it. I think it even says in the expansion rulebooks that you can choose any number of components from the expansion and add them to the base game.

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:02 AM

I guess they intend that Lurker or Dunwich are required expansions in order to use these components, i.e. it's better not to use Relationships from Miskatonic unless you have also those from the Lurker in play. Same for Dunwich: since some new Injuries and Madnesses do interact with those from the Dunwich Horror expansion, you should not use them unless they are shuffled together with those from Dunwich

All expansions are modular, and any component can be used regardless of other parts of the same expansion to be used as well.

• The Professor likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

I think you're misunderstanding. Miskatonic's rules say it that way to inform you what some of these mystery cards might be in case you don't have, or are unaware of, the relevant expansion. Once you get that expansion, its rules will go on to say that you can use those components in any game.

#5 MrClever

MrClever

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:42 AM

That's fair enough.  I figured I could mix components where I wanted, but I was curious about those statements in Miskatonic Horror.

Thank you for your help.

#6 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

If you're clever (and your username implies you are) you can use some components without having the relevant expansion ;) .

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS