Void Master Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cybernix

Cybernix

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

So we run a 5-6 person Rogue Trader group that has a few experienced players and 3 newer ones with one really catching on quick. We are about rank 2(almost 3) and we are running into a wall with our void master. Unfortunately he is an experienced player, but we cant seem to find him proper in game motivators. As a result he has chosen to take up his own small company of men that are only loyal to him and he wants to play the game with no regard for the rest of the group and consistently makes problems  by having his own goals that conflict with group objectives (i.e pursuing men in a bar to kill and intimidate them even though though the narrative had shown how little relevance they had to the story, or killing imperial prefects during negotiations or just other generally overly rogueish jackassery, aka he never stops being a rogue) so we decided we needed to find out what a proper objective for his character should be. What kind of goals should we help him reach rather than letting him destroy us from his glory plays. Because each of our other plays has goals that work for our greater glory(mechanicum wants to have titans, Myself(the Arch Militant) and rogue trader wish to lead a great crusade, our navigator wants to build a strong house that aligns with ours our missionary wants to build new shrine worlds) 
What roles do your guy's Void Masters fill?

#2 Cybernix

Cybernix

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

bump

#3 ThenDoctor

ThenDoctor

• Members
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

You should probably post this in the Rogue Trader forums, and not the Dark Heresy forums.

I've made an expanded Divination table for Dark Heresy Second Edition.Find it here: 

http://community.fan...general-thread/

#4 Saldre

Saldre

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

I agree- I am afraid that my only exposure to the Void-master was that Alternate rank in Hostile Acquisitions and I tell you I didn't like that one bit. Didn't capture my imagination or my attention. 

I am afraid I can't help much with this problem and would advise, as ThenDoctor suggested, to post in the Rogue trader forums instead. 

#5 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

My advice is to let the problem PC run into problems with local law enforcement. A Rogue Trader might be above the law, but that doesn't mean that everyone else aboard his ship is. If he has to depend on the rest of the party to break him out of jail, that might impress on the player the benefits of 'teamwork'...

#6 ranoncles

ranoncles

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:05 AM

Normally, if a player wants to be a asswipe because he is an asswipe, there is little you can do other than boot him out of your game, for the benefit of the other players.

If it is indeed a question of boredom/nothing to aspire to, you need to talk to the player and ideally come up with something together. Explore the background of the character for possible motivations, desires such as revenge, fame etc.

Void Masters are ace pilots. Either in small space ships, void ships or even aircraft. So if the background doesn't offer any obvious motivators, why not pick something that motivates pilots?

Flying the fastest ship in the sector?

Being the highest scoring ace?

Being as good in bed as behind a stick (or whatever they use in 40,000AD to fly an aircraft, MIU?)

Acquiring the biggest aviator watch in history?

Best his hated rival (the Black Baron) in a dogfight?

Overcome the incident in which he ran away?

There are many WWII flight movies, off course Top Gun, and even a 40k novel Double Eagle to give you ideas about what motivates void masters/pilots. The Flight Marshal elite package and best of the best talent also point at rivalry between pilots. 

It also depends on your ship. In my game, we had a carrier so flight crews and bomber strikes were an integral part of our game. A void master is then typically a CAG (commander air group) who can either lead from the CIC or lead from the cockpit. Either way, he must have the respect of his pilots (an arrogant, rowdy bunch at the best of times....).

I'd really push the rival issue. If the RT has a rival, let that rival RT be accompanied by a void master extraordinaire who really outflies your pc and taunts him while at it....

Edited by ranoncles, 12 August 2013 - 04:09 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS