Photo

Star Trek: Attack Wing copyright infringement?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

http://www.startrek....rek-attack-wing

So, I'm a big fan of Star Trek, but how is this NOT copyright infringement? I mean, everything from the ship bases, the movement templates, and even the Dice system are nearly identical. The only difference is that they haven't bothered with exact ship scales.

Does FFG license out their game mechanics to other companies?

#2 Lizrrdbreath

Lizrrdbreath

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

The movement mechanics have been licensed out, I don't know about anything else though.

• SteveSpikes likes this

3 x-wings - 2 y-wings - 3 a-wing - 2 b-wings - 1 HWK 290 - 1 YT-1300

6 Tie/ln - 2 Tie/adv - 3 Tie/in - 4 Tie/sa - 1 lambda shuttle - 1 Firespray

Howlrunner is my winggrrl.

#3 Hexis

Hexis

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

It's hard to read, but on the image you can make out:

"The FLIGHTPATHtm Game system used under license from Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc"

That's been posted plenty of other places as well.  It's not infringement in at all.  WizKids saw a good thing, licensed it and build a game around it.  We will see how well it does.

#4 stlnprfln

stlnprfln

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

WizKids has indeed paid FFG to utilize the Flight Path system. FFG were smart to partner with WK, as WK's parent Company NECA holds the license on many franchises, including Star Trek. I think this will be a good pairing. I am planning to get this at GenCon. I play some WK games & just got into X-Wing & really enjoy it, so since I like Star Trek as well as Star Wars I am going to give Attack Wing a try. Here are links to the info on WizKids' website.

http://wizkidsgames....lix-board-game/

http://wizkidsgames....game-at-gencon/

http://wizkidsgames....ek-attack-wing/

#5 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

But Jesus, how tacky does that thing look compared to X-Wing? :(

#6 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

And what's with the front and back firing arcs on the Enterprise?  Photon Torpedoes forwards only, fine, but phasers are 360, aren't they?

#7 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, it looks pretty rough comparatively. The models are the same cheap ones that they've been producing for a while.

#8 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

It's hard to read, but on the image you can make out:

"The FLIGHTPATHtm Game system used under license from Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc"

That's been posted plenty of other places as well.  It's not infringement in at all.  WizKids saw a good thing, licensed it and build a game around it.  We will see how well it does.

Okay, I was trying to see if they were mentioned, but I didn't see it.

#9 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

The problem I have with this (and I LOVE Star Trek as much as I love Star Wars) is that Trek ships don't do the same things that Star Wars ships do. At all. You're taking dogfighting mechanics and using them for ship to ship encounters. The only Federation ships that would make sense are shuttles, runabouts, and the Defiant. Also, it wouldn't make sense for the Enterprise to maneuver on the same field with a Klingon Bird of Prey. The to-scale ships are what really make X-Wing work.

#10 Hexis

Hexis

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

They are adding some interesting mechanics to the system.  Reverse maneuvers.  Non moving maneuvers.  Pilots/crew are separate from the ships.  I think they have an interesting take on it at least.  I don't think I'm going to buy into it, but at least they are adding something new and different to the system.

#11 Mykilus

Mykilus

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

And what's with the front and back firing arcs on the Enterprise?  Photon Torpedoes forwards only, fine, but phasers are 360, aren't they?

Technicaly the torps are guided as well, so it dos`nt realy matter witch end they come out,or where the target is

Edited by Mykilus, 05 August 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#12 Johdo

Johdo

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

The thing i think we need to remember is that StarWars ship combat was geared more as a "dog fight", where as StarTrek ship combat was more like real naval ship combat.  Larger ships with lots of toys, doing lots of things all at once.

My Current Fleet...

Spoiler

For a list of SE MI games = http://community.fan...games/?p=795971

#13 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'd be willing to give attack wing a chance but component quality and presentation look to disappoint. Their ship minis aren't great on details (I keep whining about how terrible the Excelsior, one of my favorite ships, was butchered looks), and the cards look really thin. Plus the damage deck backs don't look very star trek at all.

I was also hoping to see some distinction between the eras, like TNG ships on large bases and the TMP/TOS era on small bases, but it would appear that WizKids threw out all consideration of that kind to support a multi-universe multi-timeline conflict of space battles. It could have been a beautiful game if they put more consideration into it.

Just feels like WizKids is trying to find ways to get rid of their subpar miniatures and hoping to ride the FlightPath system to success. I'll give it a chance, but it's not going to tear me away from X-Wing.

#14 PenguinBonaparte

PenguinBonaparte

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

I'm even more into Star Trek than Star Wars so I'll maybe try it, but mixing eras is really really really stupid and the ships look lousy. Some mechanics sound good and the movement seems like it'll be a lot different in practice, but finding anyone to play with will be a huge challenge. Might just pass. I mean why a TOS Enterprise and a Reliant? Why not a refit at least? WHY????__

#15 Jetpack

Jetpack

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

/nod 

Very much so.

• SteveSpikes likes this

#16 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

On the Enterprise D the Main Phaser Banks are mounted in the Saucer Section and have a 270 degree firing arc (front, left and right). She also has 2 Phaser Banks (one on the Saucer and one on the Secondary Hull) mounted where the Saucer Section and Secondary Hull join together but those are only useable when the Saucer Section is separated. She also has three Photon Torpedo launchers in the Secondary Hull that can fire both fore and aft.

#17 teufelwolf@yahoo.com

teufelwolf@yahoo.com

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

...star fleet battles....now that is some mental NRG!

#18 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:51 PM

Sails of Glory also uses the flight path system.  I like Star Trek also but it appears that the minis they intend to use are horrible.

Enimo Et Fide

#19 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

...star fleet battles....now that is some mental NRG!

Bah, give me B5 Wars over SFB any day. Nothing like watching the 4 Neutron Lasers of a Minbari Sharlin Warcruiser going in one side of an EA Omega class Destroyer and coming out the other side because you rolled a crapton of damage with them.

#20 Ken at Sunrise

Ken at Sunrise

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

Never played B5, but I do agree that Star Fleet Battles (SFB) seems far more like a capital ship game that this new Star Trek Attack Wing.  But having said that I know very little about it so take my opinions lightly.

I just seems like with the license it's a different version of Star Wars X-Wing.  For Capital Ships I like to see damaged systems, repairing individual shields, etc.  For rules lawyering few things if anything beats SFB.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS