White Scar Successors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

Ok, so I am writing up some ideas for Chapters and I've hit the White Scars with three ideas that I think could work. But while many other FF Chapters and their successors are fairly easy to grasp I find myself not really grasping the Sons of the Khan. 

Therefore I turn to this enlightened forum to ask if someone could give some idea about what kind of themes and mood would be good for White Scars Successors to separate them from other Space Marines and their successors. 

So far I have (and potentially a bunch of others who are thus far designated as Codex Chapters but who I may delegate some to bear the White Scar gene-seed depending on how well their themes and such mix with each other)

Silver Claws - fanatical about genetic purity in all forms, and I try to make them somewhat different from the Red Scorpions

Void Hunters - a Chapter which has taken a great oath to discover the fate of the White Scar Primarch 

Conquerors - a successful Chapter which is breaking out of the White Scar traditions of their founding to form their own customs and ways

#2 BrotherTenparo

BrotherTenparo

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

They have a few of them in the fluff , notably the Mantis Warriors.

http://wh40k.lexican...rs#.UglDKpKcd8U

#3 Korvis

Korvis

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

Post #47:  http://www.bolterand...-2#entry3028356

#4 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

Thanks guys. I'd already looked over the White Scar fluff in various places but the lack of info for their Second Founding Chapters has kind of let me in the dry in many regards. Will look over Mantis Warriors and see if it will aid me. 

#5 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

Depends how much they had to do with their 'parents'.

Broadly speaking, they have a predilection for mobile warfare, trickery (not to raven guard/alpha legion level, but more a hunter's "Where did he come from" attack), and tend to be a bit fractious in nature.

In fact, given their culture, combat style, and heraldry, I'd lay fair odds on the Storm Wardens being white scars successors...

#6 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Depends how much they had to do with their 'parents'.

Broadly speaking, they have a predilection for mobile warfare, trickery (not to raven guard/alpha legion level, but more a hunter's "Where did he come from" attack), and tend to be a bit fractious in nature.

In fact, given their culture, combat style, and heraldry, I'd lay fair odds on the Storm Wardens being white scars successors...

Thanks for the reply, this was the kind of post I was hoping for. :)

Makes sense that they are leaning this way. I'm of course not looking at creating clones of the original Chapter but ensure that they have a certain "White Scar" feeling to them. With this info I think that I have at least one or possible two more Chapters that I considered to be of Unkown Founding, that I will put as White Scar Successors. 

#7 ranoncles

ranoncles

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

Well, the white scars are based on the mongols so just take their most obvious characteristics (both historical and mythical) and then pick which suit you best. Google can lead you to many examples. And you needn't limit yourself to the mongols, other nomadic steppe warriors will do fine as well.

Typically, things as great riders and a close bond with their mounts, mounted archery, cruel & sadistic, ruthless, mobile, fluid tactics with a great emphasis on misdirecting and unsettling the opponent, terror tactics to demoralize the enemy, mob tactics instead of singular tactics, barbaric norms, distaste for 'civilization' coupled with jealousy for that civilization, great respect for hunting ability, mounted hunting mobs instead of individual hunter on foot, slavery/taking slaves to perform jobs they can't do or won't do, respect for those that fight or no respect for fighters but good terms to those that submit (either was possible). 

There are many such 'generalities' about nomadic tribes such as the mongols, huns, parthians etc. 

Just pick a few and then translate that to the setting....

#8 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

http://community.fan...rimarchs-curse/

I think you'll like this. It's some thoughts I had after reading First Found and the Horus Heresy novella Brotherhood of the Storm.

There's some spoilers there too, but since the book is a limited edition (you can might be able to buy it in e-book format) that shouldn't be too worrisome.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS