Photo

Can a tainted mutant go through the Soul Binding to become an Astropath?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The Burning Princess

The Burning Princess

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

Can a tainted (i.e. having corruption points) mutant go through Soul Binding to become an Astropath?

Just wondering if the soul-binding would do any additional harm besides the normal blindness to a mutant? Would they even allow a mutant to become soul-bound?

Also does the soul-binding remove any existing corruption or malignancies that may come from a character's Birthright? 

Mechanically I don't see anything but the flavor text implies that soul-binding cleanses the corruption.

"Those chosen to become Astropaths undergo the ritual of Soul Binding, in which the body and soul are scoured clean of the taint of the warp by the searing purity of the Emperor's beneficence."

“We are shackled gods. It is not others that restrain our potential
but ourselves. We shackle ourselves because we know what we dream
ourselves to be and fear it.”

#2 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:52 AM

You said it yourself. Mechanically, nothing happens.

Personally, I wouldn't give astropaths any more benefits than they already have, especially not Tainted (which, don't kid yourself, are overwhelmingly represented by powergamers). I also would discourage anything other than Wyrdling - which is, in effect, just a greater amount of natural talent since psykerdom is a mutation to begin with - from being coupled with Astropaths, as any significant mutation would most likely be noticed during the sanctioning process.

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#3 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:31 AM

Technically speaking, Soul-Binding is just a unique form of Sanctioning, carried out by the Adeptus Astra Telepathica. That means that to get to Soul-Binding, you must first go through all of that fun stuff, such as being subjected to The Assignment, so on and so forth.

The vast majority of psykers gets handed over to the Adeptus Astronomica, to fuel the psychic beacon on Terra. Other, more powerful psykers, go on to become Sanctioned Psykers, through a pretty horrible and gruelling process, and go through years of training, conditioning, indoctrination and receive several bionic augments aimed at keeping the psychic powers in check.

Those that fall between these two categories, which means those that are very weak, but not weak enough to not be useful other than Astronomican-food, and not strong enough to become Sanctioned Psykers (such as battle-psykers or similar), becomes Astropaths, and soul-bound to the Emperor. Becoming an Astropath is likely a process that takes just as long, if not longer, than regular sanctioning, although the Soul-binding itself is likely more or less instant.

I would find it incredibly unlikely that, during these long processes, they would not check your genetic integrity and make sure that you are not a mutant - especially since mutations and corruption is particularly prevalent amongst psykerkind.

That being said, when directly exposed to the Light of the Astronomican, the Emperor would likely sear and burn away any taint caused by chaos, including any corruption. If you're a mutant with extra limbs or whatnot, I could easily see those limbs burned clean off. That's just my personal interpretation, though.

I do not see an unnatural psyker (such as a Wyrd, with no pre-existing psychic potential before that time) surviving the process, seeing as how their soul is intimately tied to their mutation in this case.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#4 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

Also, while looking into the mechanical side of things, the Trait, Soul-Bound, is actually very straight-foward:

Rogue Trader Core Rulebook, pg. 367 said:
Soul-bound
The soul of this creature is bound to a higher purpose or being, in return for a measure of protection. When this Trait is first gained, the entity to which the soul is bound must be decided. Many Imperial psykers, especially astropaths, are soul-bound to the Emperor, for example, whereas Chaos sorcerers may be bound to one of the Ruinous Powers. A soul-bound psyker rolls an additional d10 when forced to roll on Table 6-3: Perils of the Warp on page 161, discarding whichever one he chooses to get a more favourable result.

Upon becoming soul-bound, a character must choose one of the following effects: 1d10 Insanity Points, the permanent loss of sight, the permanent loss of 1d10 from one Characteristic or a random mutation (only if soul-bound to the Ruinous Powers).

In addition, a soul-bound character is permanently indebted to the entity, which undoubtedly entails all manner of other duties and consequences.

I would argue that it could do with a re-interpretation depending on what you get soulbound to. Being soulbound to the Emperor always results in the loss of sight, for example, so why would it be a choice? Why would a Greater Daemon of Nurgle take your eyes? If anything, it should be a GM:s pick, not player's choice.

But that's just me.

Real men earn their fun

Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.

#5 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Also, while looking into the mechanical side of things, the Trait, Soul-Bound, is actually very straight-foward:

Rogue Trader Core Rulebook, pg. 367 said:
Soul-bound
The soul of this creature is bound to a higher purpose or being, in return for a measure of protection. When this Trait is first gained, the entity to which the soul is bound must be decided. Many Imperial psykers, especially astropaths, are soul-bound to the Emperor, for example, whereas Chaos sorcerers may be bound to one of the Ruinous Powers. A soul-bound psyker rolls an additional d10 when forced to roll on Table 6-3: Perils of the Warp on page 161, discarding whichever one he chooses to get a more favourable result.

Upon becoming soul-bound, a character must choose one of the following effects: 1d10 Insanity Points, the permanent loss of sight, the permanent loss of 1d10 from one Characteristic or a random mutation (only if soul-bound to the Ruinous Powers).

In addition, a soul-bound character is permanently indebted to the entity, which undoubtedly entails all manner of other duties and consequences.

I would argue that it could do with a re-interpretation depending on what you get soulbound to. Being soulbound to the Emperor always results in the loss of sight, for example, so why would it be a choice? Why would a Greater Daemon of Nurgle take your eyes? If anything, it should be a GM:s pick, not player's choice.

But that's just me.

I support this, all the Warhammer fluff has always had Astropaths being blinded by the majesty of the God-Emperor. For my Astropath who took the Tainted Elite Advance from Navis Primer we had his eyesight regenerate since he had lost his Soul Binding, and it becomes a clear sign that something's gone wrong with these Astropaths.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#6 Warsmith Khonrad

Warsmith Khonrad

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

In the background info of the 40k game and universe, this is really simple...

No there is no way a mutant could go through the Soul Binding.

All potential astropaths (all psykers in the Imperium who are found out) are taken by the Inquisitional Black Ships to Terra where they are assessed for potential use. Those that can become astropaths are sent through a number of trials and such, the final one being a meeting with the Emperor himself on the Golden Throne where in he or she is Soul Bound to the Emperor. There is no way a mutant would ever get that far into the process.

Sorry, but there's no better way a mutant makes it to meet the Emperor.

• Erathia likes this
Iron within, Iron without!

#7 WilliamAsher

WilliamAsher

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

I think being tainted significantly (10+ Corruption) would cause you to fail the 'strong enough will' part of The Assessment.  If you were stronger willed you wouldn't have gained so much.  It could also indicate that you have sided with the Ruinous Powers.  That is a quick trip to the chow line for you.  The mutation could be ok, as long as it is minor and not due to Corrupion.  As soon as the Rot within your sould starts to effect your body, I don't think you would survive The Assessment. 

#8 Wincent

Wincent

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:13 AM

I thought every psyker is a mutant, it's their genetics after all?

Real issue would be corruption, as big E is not quite its biggest fan. It's also worth remembering that not only mechanics count and good role playing the regret for sins and stuff may help.

Edited by Wincent, 20 December 2013 - 07:16 AM.

#9 WilliamAsher

WilliamAsher

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

The Psyker gene is a mutation, but being a mutant on top of that means you have some other mutation.  That indicates an even further issue.  Note that soul binding happens after years of training and that the survival rate isn't that high.  I imagine it is even lower if the Emperor is BURNING the extra corruption from your body.  No matter how you slice it the character is out of the game for a decade or more at least.

#10 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:09 AM

I thought every psyker is a mutant, it's their genetics after all?

Real issue would be corruption, as big E is not quite its biggest fan. It's also worth remembering that not only mechanics count and good role playing the regret for sins and stuff may help.

'Regular' psykers are effectively an abhuman strain, so while it is arguable that they are by definition a form of mutation, by the Imperium's standards, they're not - depending on who within the Imperium you ask, of course.

This is likely also why abhumans never (almost never?) are psykers; they're effectively a different strain of humanity and have evolved in a different direction. One could argue that there's no reason for these evolutionary varieties to be mutually exclusive to eachother simply based on the system of categorization in a fictional universe, but honestly, space magic.

Psykers aren't Mutants unless you're pretty much a Black Templar.

In the background info of the 40k game and universe, this is really simple...

No there is no way a mutant could go through the Soul Binding.

All potential astropaths (all psykers in the Imperium who are found out) are taken by the Inquisitional Black Ships to Terra where they are assessed for potential use. Those that can become astropaths are sent through a number of trials and such, the final one being a meeting with the Emperor himself on the Golden Throne where in he or she is Soul Bound to the Emperor. There is no way a mutant would ever get that far into the process.

Sorry, but there's no better way a mutant makes it to meet the Emperor.

"Meeting with the Emperor" makes it sound like they sit down and have a cup of tea together. I doubt astropaths-to-be are anywhere near the God-Emperor or even see the actual throne, more than just being marched past the base of the Golden Throne and gets to bask in the Light of the Astronomican, with the God-Emperor's psychic visage somewhere near the centre of that swirling vortex of agonized screaming singing dying uplifted witches psykers.

They're probably kilometres from the physical body of the God-Emperor himself, and asked to open their eyes and psychic senses to The Light, and it's still strong enough to physically burn their eyes out and mark their souls forever. It makes me wonder how astropaths even can work on Terra, where the psychic light of a single individual (..arguable, I guess, considering that several thousands of psykers are within the choir, and at least a hundred die every single day) is so strong as to pull extragalactic entities straight towards it from outside the galaxy.

I imagine it's much like trying to have a phonecall at a Metallica concert.. inside a train station... during a hurricane. While the Westboro Baptist Church pickets outside and Islamic Terrorists are doing drive-by suicide bombings jumping from DC-3's powered by broken diesel engines and hate.

Real men earn their fun

#11 Bankinus

Bankinus

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

No matter how you slice it the character is out of the game for a decade or more at least.

A decade is really not as much as it may seem in a Rogue Trader game.

A decade of real space time may just be enough time to fly half the way back to the Expanse and then turn around to pick the guy back up. Depending on how good the navigator is you might even actually get there and pick up some snacks on Scinitlla before flying back to Terra.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS