Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4283

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

Not so sure I like this one... the real positive note is that it's clearly stated that this is not a replacement for Arkham, but another game expanding Arkham's universe...

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

I just wrote in another forum I could imagine this being a kind of sequel game, following an Arkham Horror win - taking the investigators out beyond Arkham following a local victory.

However I've only really got the time for one Lovecraft game at the moment and Arkham Horror still has lots of mileage for me.

This looks like it could be a good game, but not necessarily a better one.

#4 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

Aye, agreed with Shub. I sense some sort of merging between Arkham and other games. The "every day you get closer to the end" sounds like Elder Sign, plus the focus on Narrative and clues and other details remind me of Mansions.

I appreciate the idea of a wider campaign involving the globe (Elder Sign: Omens? maybe?); nonetheless I remain skeptical. For two reasons basically: it seems like there is nothing really new under the sun but a recombination of already seen elements, plus, I'm afraid I'm not a big fan of Corey's reworking: between Doom and Gears of War I'll always choose Doom, and between Descent 1st and 2nd Edition, I'll always pick up the 1st edition.

Plus, as Shub said, Arkham is such a wide experience I still have to play for years without getting bored

• Lilikin likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#5 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

I like the Conditions mechanic and I think I like the Mysteries, and if the gameplay is interestingly different, it'll be a welcome addition to my Arkham experience.  And I want to be optimistic, but yeah, wow, I'm with Julia in definitely not seeing much to suggest that there's anything going on here besides Corey's favorite recycled ideas from Descent 2 and MoM.

• Julia likes this

#6 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

It looks wonderful, but quite honestly, for this one I'll take a pass.  I certainly understand the draw, especially for the many Arkhamites who have clamored for an "expedition-related" expansion.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#7 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

Well, it looks great but--this is what it says to me:

Eldritch Horror - One more reason for us to take your money while not actually making anything for Arkham Horror.

Don't get me wrong, I love Elder Signs and plan on getting the expansion as soon as I can. But this game is just re-using the came characters (again), likely the same items and spells (again) with effect simply changed to suit the game mechanics. It's hard to appreciate a game when you know you're going to see the Fist of Yog-Sothoth in at least four interations with the same picture and everything.

I suppose the only thing I am curious about is the characters: Amanda Sharp and Jenny Barns are two of the BEST characters in Elder Signs, while not being anything too special in Arkham Horror. I am curious about the shifting of tiers in this new game, but I don't know if I'll rush out to buy this until I get a firm review or two.

#8 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

A short sighted mistake on FFGs part really. I have every Cthulhu IP game FFG have made but Elder Sign and many add-ons for them. After watching the video and reading the description I am left cold and wondering why I should even be interested in this. It looks very much like AH with a new board, and some new art.

I think the mistakes here are several.

1) It does not have anything to distinguish itself from the other lines in either game play or design. Perhaps previews will put this objection to rest, but I doubt it. It seems not so much inspired by AH as cribbed from it wholesale and then a few minor changes are made like changing the map and reversing he direction of the Doom track.

2) It comes on the heels of the MoM cluster disaster and trust in another new CoC game from the same guy is not going to be easy to recover.

3) It looks  *exactly* like it should be an AH expansion, right down to the logo and name, but it isn't. Just overcoming that disappointment to sell me the game will be tough. When I first saw it I immediately thought of AH. It should not have been called EH nor given the AH design features. I wonder what they thought they were doing here because this is such a basic mistake. Why try to sell me on a game that isn't AH but make it look exactly like it is? They would have scored much higher with a completely new look.

4) The board looks far too bland, simplistic and uninspired for a globally themed game that should have something more exotic. The board looks like Dunwich, not a planet.

5) Its at the moment completely unconvincing that 'every game will be different'. It does not look big enough for that yet.

6) There is very likely no room for another Cthulhu IP, at least not this one.

I pass by. Leaving a closed door that will need a shoggoth to squeeze open again.

The fact that we have new art for old characters (Akache is lovely) suggests my long made point that we are heading for a deluxe edition reprint of AH is correct.

Edited by dj2.0, 03 August 2013 - 12:13 AM.

• Lilikin, subochre and Tox like this

#9 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:25 AM

Eldritch Horror - One more reason for us to take your money while not actually making anything for Arkham Horror.

We're all die-harders after all, ain't we?

Don't get me wrong, I love Elder Signs and plan on getting the expansion as soon as I can.

Do it. Seriously. It's an amazing expansion with tons of new materials added. Practically, you have a whole brand new boardgame, much more interesting than the original :)

I suppose the only thing I am curious about is the characters: Amanda Sharp and Jenny Barns are two of the BEST characters in Elder Signs, while not being anything too special in Arkham Horror.

They aren't that bad either. Jenny keeps on pumping money in the game, and she starts loaded, while Amanda can be awesome once expansions skills arrive and you decide to invest some money to get her the third skill :) Still, they are not as good as in ES, but I'd say I'm happy when I draw them :)

#10 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:27 AM

Well said Dj, brilliant post!

• dj2.0 likes this

#11 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:04 AM

I feel myself already tiring of the question: 'which is better, Arkham or Eldritch?', even though I am likely the very first person ever to ask it...

• subochre likes this

#12 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:31 AM

I've been trying to figure out what IP, in Cthulhu IP, stands for.

I don't think any other game will ever come close to Arkham's infinite possibilities and gameplay. But that doesn't mean I don't ever want to play another game. I think I'll see how this develops before dismissing it.

#13 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:28 AM

Intellectual Property? Could be?

• Lilikin likes this

#14 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

yup, IP = intellectual property. Sorry for that confusion.

#15 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Am I the only one that seems stoked by this expansion? Admittedly I'm already looking at it and trying to work out how I could convert it to AH. Sure, we've got DtS and MoN already, but I can't imagine it'll be that hard for me to work them in somehow. I'll have to wait til the game / rulebook comes out, but from what I could see from the video, the board is split into:

London
Rome
Istanbul

San Francisco
Arkham
Buenos Aries

Shanghai
Tokyo
Sydney

City
Wilderness
Sea

The Pyramids
The Heart of Africa
The Amazon
The Himalayas
Tunguska
Antarctica

There are also unnamed cities around the board with numbers next to them which seems like a misssed opportunity. It's not that hard to put the Moscow or Helsinki next to the number. This can only add to the theme...

I'm guessing the last six are exotic locations where you have to find the hidden temple and stop the cultists making the sacrifice or whatever. City / Sea / wilderness will be generic encounters for when you stop in the relevant location. There are uncharted trails, which I suspect will require some items or a clue sacrifice to explore.

There are also OW encounters - which shouldn't be that hard to convert and the new conditions for failing loans, getting blessed, etc, can probably be converted easily enough.

• Julia likes this

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#16 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

Jake, is it an impression of mine or are you talking about a massive conversion to adapt the new game to Arkham? This is certainly an interesting option (and also a lot of work to do) but to me it's not a great reaction to a new game that should be considered stand-alone. Dunno. I mean, it's not a "can't wait to play" but a "can't wait to convert it" and this sounds not so good to my ears

Anyway, I guess we should see some previews to have a better idea of the game

#17 Fake Ghost Pirate

Fake Ghost Pirate

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:03 AM

Can't believe how this is going over like a lead balloon with my fellow Arkham inmates....

Not thrilled by the artwork at first glance. COC RPG fans might like the style of artwork, the paper rail and boat tickets etc, but it's very different from the lush style of A-H.  On first seeing the board I thought "Bleh- it looks like Fortune&Glory and Risk had a kid"- but then I watched the video a 2nd time and realized the board design is brilliant. Photos tacked to the map!! Hope there's a lot of secret locations (like Rlyeh) cause the simple board will start to look cooler with each added token.

Did you notice there's Brains and Hearts again? I like Brain and Heart tokens...

Not sure what sets it apart from A-H, cause you move around a board with roughly the same number of locations (if you don't count seldom-visited places like the Bank) fight enemies and have encounters at locations. But it looks simpler to learn and a lot less fiddly so it should draw in some non-Arkham players. The world-wide setting fits the Mythos theme: all this forbidden knowledge pieced together from remote places across the Globe, leading to some sort of shocking revelation and/or confrontation (Sure sounds Lovecraftian to me) We do plenty of globe-hopping in A-H via the Other Worlds; looks like in "Eldritch" we have to travel the hard way, by sea and rail. 

So I refuse to have my excitement dampened by all the nay-sayers. This preview could not have come at a better time (this has been a very bad week for me, personally, and I sorely needed cheering up) My coin jar should be full by the time it comes out, so we'll see how it holds up in the next couple previews- but right now those coins are burning a hole in my pocket. Can't wait to see how the various characters fare in a new setting- that's one thing I love about Elder Sign, seeing the new Investigators and AO's in a totally different setting (still haven't tried "Mansions" yet)

• spalanzani likes this

#18 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:29 AM

(this has been a very bad week for me, personally, and I sorely needed cheering up)

Sorry for this. Wish you the bad time to be over soon :)

#19 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:02 AM

Jake, is it an impression of mine or are you talking about a massive conversion to adapt the new game to Arkham? This is certainly an interesting option (and also a lot of work to do) but to me it's not a great reaction to a new game that should be considered stand-alone. Dunno. I mean, it's not a "can't wait to play" but a "can't wait to convert it" and this sounds not so good to my ears

Anyway, I guess we should see some previews to have a better idea of the game

You know me too well, Julia. :)

I'd need to see the rules and the cards, but I suspect that this won't be too difficult to convert. The encounters are already written, so it should be a case of transferring the text and making logical choices for the skill tests. 

Some of the condition flips should be relatively easy to implement. For instance, if you are already Cursed and you get another curse, draw from the twice-cursed pile. Likewise for Blessing, etc. I've some ideas for the others too.

The OWs can probably be transferred to OW cards of the relevant colour. Hopefully I can finish up Forbidden Lore in time to convert Eldritch Horror.

• Julia likes this

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#20 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

I for one am immensely excited.  Even if it is Arkham Horror redux, the Ancient One Mysteries mechanic is enough to sell me totally on it.  I love that not only will you face a different Ancient One, but you'll have to do three different things every game to stop them.  No more same-old-Elder-Sign patterns.  I love that!

The two-sided bank loans excite me too.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS