Ship battle - Hex or square grid?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 LanceND

LanceND

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

How do you prefer to run ship battles in your games? Do you se Hex or square Grid battle maps?

Im thinking of using square grid and calling diagonal movements 1unit per box, rather than say 3 units for every 2 diagonal boxes to keep things simple. I was thinking Hex as 45deg moves are easy, but not so much wth 90deg moves.

#2 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

We have a reversable battle map, and for space combat I like the Hex map. 90 degrees mapping to two turns is a little weird, but it makes calculating firing angles and distances really easy.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#3 LanceND

LanceND

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

Erathia, you really are excellent! Thanks with all this help.

How big a battle map do you use, a 30x30 grid?

Also how do you mark it up, just whiteboard pens and then draw in "blobs" to represent asteroids/nebulae/radiation pockets? I ask because i have read mention of Battlefleet Gothic templates being used, so i ask incase there was a template sheet i can download to help being it more alive with better imagery beyond my mediocre sketches.

#4 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

We use a Chessex battlemap, which I think is 26x26. For ships and some markers we use the BFG official markers from Games Workshop's site here: http://www.games-wor...questid=2297342

Search for Battle Fleet Gothic Resources on Google to find it.

For ships I do the same thing where I take the pictures of the ships in the PDF, then scale them and print them out double/sided with a marker on them and use those to represent ships in the combat itself.

When all else fails, pennies and string!

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#5 LanceND

LanceND

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

I knew the rules were on there, but templates and scenarios also? Wow, that has just made my life more fun now. And with that i have all i need for a little project im working on. Wait out for pictures, it should be entertaining at the very least :)

#6 JasonMi

JasonMi

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

I've been looking at using a hex map for my game... one weird thing is the turns become 60 degree increments instead of 45. This means a single turn (done for free) can bring a ship directly to your aft into your Starboard or Port firing arcs. With a square map, a Cruiser would have to pull off a Come to New Heading maneuver to make that happen. So using a hex map instead of a square map nullifies some of the tactical options small ships have to engage larger ships.

Edit: NECRO!!

Edited by JasonMi, 17 January 2014 - 12:58 PM.

#7 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

I recommend squares for ship combat, as well as for pure vehicle/craft/aeronautica battles. The reason being that everything is done in either ninety or forty five degrees. Hexes all the way for character battles though, where positioning is generally more important than movement.

• Tenebrae likes this

#8 WilliamAsher

WilliamAsher

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

We actually use miniatures and a measuring tape.  We use 1cm per VU.  Everything is based on the front point of the ship base/miniature (put a dot on the base).  You can even paint in arcs on the bases that way if you want.

• Nameless2all and Tenebrae like this

#9 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

Edit: NECRO!!

I've never seen anyone complain about Necromancy in any of the WH40KRP threads- feel free to Raise The Dead with impunity!

#10 Tantavalist

Tantavalist

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

I found that just having the ship miniatures and a measuring tape worked fine for the games I ran. 1 inch to 1VU was the scale I used, but that might just be the miniatures I had looking too big with a 1cm scale (I used the Twilight Imperium ships as my minis for space battles). With engagement range being 20VU, I found that we had more than enough space for the average engagement.

Maybe it's just having more wargames experience in the group I played with, but we never found calculating arcs and turning hard without any squares or other aids.

• Nameless2all likes this

#11 Fortinbras

Fortinbras

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

I use an ASCIII map, which requires it to be a square grid unfortunately.

#12 Cavgunner

Cavgunner

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

Why use a map grid at all? Battlefleet Gothic didn't, and things worked out just fine. Just make 1 VU = 1 unit of measurement of your choice.

#13 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:31 AM

Because you can draw on it.

#14 Chaki

Chaki

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

For testing purposes, i tested both and think square fits better. Hex is just too much of a hassle to properly measure and do turns. But then, we use roll20 mostly for our games, wo i can turn it off on a whim if we get the feeling to do some more "freeform" :)

#15 Musclewizard

Musclewizard

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:28 AM

In the game I ran we played with the BFG Miniatures one of the players owned and used the conversion of 1 VU = 1 Inch. Worked out really well.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS