Next Force Set?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

Smuggler Objective Sets seem to have an advantage of having cheap costing cards to play at just about any time to mess with an opponent (thinking of you, Swindled). For Scum it seems to be reduced mostly to the 3 cost Event card Captured and Boba Fett from the Core set. I know there are a couple others but it's a pretty high cost on most cards that incorporate the capture mechanic.

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#62 Rob Martin

Rob Martin

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

Because the capture mechanic is phenomenal.  It cannot be protected and there is all but no redirect and very little cancellation  on the LS that will stop the "built in" capture effects (the events are certainly easily countered by certain cards though).  Enhancements go in the trash; the capture mechanic has all but destroyed the "typical" enhancement-heavy Jedi deck(s).  While the S&S is better than the S&V sets in EoD, overall the LS needed the boost more than the DS anyway.

#63 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:11 AM

Whatever you're smoking, I want some.  There are very good reasons why Scum capture is by far the least-represented deck archetype in tournaments.  Marquee units are too fragile, capture synergy effects too hard to pull off, not great at objective destruction like Navy OR holding the balance like Sith, with no third way to speed up the dial unique to them... this horse has been beaten to death for weeks now, it's pretty shocking that you'd come in here and just flatly assert something the commniuty has already well established is false.

#64 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:35 AM

The Gas, there is no need to be rude. Some people are having success with Scum decks. And capture is a super strong mechanic one that could easily get out of hand if allowed to. I think it will be by far the hardest one to keep balanced. 

• KennedyHawk likes this

#65 Rob Martin

Rob Martin

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

Rude doesn't bother me in the slightest.

A) Your arguments are for why Scum and Villains-only decks, as a whole, are not the best DS options.  It does not speak to topic, which is the strength of the capture mechanic itself.  Whether or not the capture has the support it needs to be top-tier alone, is not the point.

B) I do not allow any message board to move my opinions too far as vocal minorities and cults of personality too drastically sway any discussion.  Any opinion I have is based on reason and experience.  My experience is showing that capture, when part of a proper control deck, is stalking the edges of the top tier.  It does not surprise me that FFG is being cautious with how it is being applied.

Edited by Rob Martin, 10 September 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#66 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

Well we can all agree that capture is a mechanics a future set could be based on, maybe we should start a new thread or avoid an argument in this one?

#67 Rob Martin

Rob Martin

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

Well we can all agree that capture is a mechanics a future set could be based on, maybe we should start a new thread or avoid an argument in this one?

I agree that "Bounty Hunters" certainly has some legs as a theme.

#68 Stacie_GmrGrl

Stacie_GmrGrl

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

My vote goes to an Endor themed cycle but I would love to see a Shadows of the Empire cycle, a Thrawn Trilogy theme and eventually a New Jedi Order themed cycle (I don't care what anybody else says that series is my favorite star wars series of all time). :)

I could care less about the Prequel trilogy or the Clone Wars, but if they went that route than I would buy it.

• GroggyGolem likes this

#69 Starke

Starke

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

On reflection, perhaps themed cycles would be too difficult to pull off all the time because of the factions they have - rarely could you get all six moving in the same direction. Although, I suppose that would make it more difficult to guess the next cycle, because it will be focusing on something new!

How does this grab you?

Dagobah Cycle -

Jedi: Focus on Jedi Training, beyond just what's in the core. Stuff like Confrontation at the Cave, You Seek Yoda, Christmas Treeing the hell out of Luke or Leia for bonuses. Possibly a Jedi version of Leia.

Rebel: Rogue Squadron, recovering from the battle of Hoth and regrouping.

Scoundrel: Keeping key cards out of your opponent's reach, possibly a reverse of the Blockade Runner and Scout system, where attacking DS cards above a certain cost are excluded.

Neutral: We Don't Need Their Scum, tagging decks for playing cards that are off faction. Placing Tokens on an out of faction character, objective. Making out of faction objectives take unopposed damage in any successful attack. Disabling Edge Enabled Combat Icons on out of Faction units.

Sith: Hunt Down and Destroy the Jedi. Possibly a strong Sith capture objective, All too Easy or The Emperor's Prize. Possibly a Sith version of Trench Run, built around subverting one of your opponent's Jedi to the dark side (and your control).

Imperial Navy: Pursuing and hunting your opponent. Hand or Deck denial themes. I Want That Ship: Attack a target Vehicle as if it were an Objective. Focus out your objectives to reduce your opponent's reserve.

Scum and Villainy: I Want Them Alive: An alternate victory condition built around capturing opponent's cards. Possibly one that advances the Death Star Dial one tick for every capture, if you focus out the objective. A focus on actually bounty hunting, tracking specific characters down, either to kill them, or capture them.

Neutral: Emperor's New Order: focus on boosting the effectiveness of your in-faction units, and cards focused on subverting your opponent's out of faction cards.

• Holliday88 and GroggyGolem like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS