Is it possible to navigate a Voidship in Deathwatch

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LordBlades

LordBlades

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:15 AM

I'm considering a new character in a hybrid Rogue Trader/Deathwatch game and I'd like to know if it's possible to make a character that can perform similar functions (in regard to navigationg the ship) as a Rogue Trader Navigator using anything in Deathwatch+the Grey Knights chapter in Dark Heresy's Daemon Hunter.

#2 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

Navigators are specifically bred for their job. I doubt an average psyker, even one as powerful as a space marine librarian, could do it. This is why space marines employ navigators on their own ships (instead of doing it themselves).

#3 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

Yup, even the Space Marines have to rely on Navigators. The Imperium simply lacks a viable alternative.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#4 Jack of Tears

Jack of Tears

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:39 AM

That said, it'd be interesting to play a unique character who, say, came from a now defunct and thought deceased Navigator lineage whom had been going through the process of becoming a Space Marine before his Navigator abilities kicked in, (or he was recognized as such by a Librarian) and so was something of a freak hybrid of the two.  There could be some interesting roleplaying possibilities in that.  (If they stopped his change before it was finished can he still reproduce?  What does that mean to his family and his place among the Space Marines?)

This is one of those long shot things I'd probably only ever allow to a good roleplayer in my group - seeing I imagine we could easily find a thousand reasons why this shouldn't be possible - but if a player brought it to me and pitched it well, I'd probably go with it.

#5 Korvis

Korvis

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

Not sure how the implant studs in the forehead would affect that third eye.  Sorry, I just don't see the hybrid thing panning out well and at what age would the individual attempt to become a Marine Initiate?

#6 LordBlades

LordBlades

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:20 AM

I see, thanks for the info. My plan of playing a Librarian pretty much hit a brick wall for reasons unrelated to navigation anyway. The campaign will be taking place on ships a singificant amount of time, and there isn't much a melee Librarian can do aboard a ship.

Low BS means I'm rather crap at shooting ship guns, most psy powers (apart from Augury and Astrotelepathy and the one that gives +10 to a roll per round) aren't too useful aboard a ship and the list of skills that come in handy on a voidship is also very limited :(

Also, I've just realized sustaining a power is a half action, so buffing and going into melee is rather hard as well.

Edited by LordBlades, 05 August 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#7 Korvis

Korvis

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

Character in Terminator Armor?

#8 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

I see, thanks for the info. My plan of playing a Librarian pretty much hit a brick wall for reasons unrelated to navigation anyway. The campaign will be taking place on ships a singificant amount of time, and there isn't much a melee Librarian can do aboard a ship.

Low BS means I'm rather crap at shooting ship guns, most psy powers (apart from Augury and Astrotelepathy and the one that gives +10 to a roll per round) aren't too useful aboard a ship and the list of skills that come in handy on a voidship is also very limited :(

Also, I've just realized sustaining a power is a half action, so buffing and going into melee is rather hard as well.

You may want to take a look at Marines Errant, their chapter advances seem pretty much tailor-made for a Rogue Trader crossover - as are their unique psychic powers.

There are quite a few powers and special rules in Rogue Trader that'll let a Librarian contribute in a voidship. If you like the idea, go for it!

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#9 blazingsquirrel

blazingsquirrel

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

If we take Black Library novels into account, I know several powerful psykers have done impromptu navigation, although it was a pretty shoddy job and they WERE Chaos Sorcerers, so they had a closer connection to the warp than Librarians. Space Marines have often taken control of guns themselves in the novels, the example off the top of my head is Nathaniel Garro in... I think it was Flight of the Eisenstein...

#10 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

None of this is true. All abilities save perhaps Survival and some select Lore abilities are as useful on ships as they are anywhere else. Completely combat-centered characters may make the player feel like they're not getting their value's worth out of their character, though, but on the other hand, that would be just as true in almost any circumstance that isn't a combat scenario - and conversely, for obvious reasons, characters that completely eschew combat capabilities will have similar issues in those instances that are combat-heavy.

A Rogue Trader ship is an enormous, self-contained city floating in the void. Treat it as such.

In addition, there's an great amount of things a Librarian can do that the weak Astropaths on the ship can't. Librarians are enormously powerful psykers, with access to capabilities most psykers - astropaths in particular - could only dream about.

I don't know much about the scenario presented and I know even less about your actual character, so it's hard to come with suggestions.

Edit: Assuming you are the only Space Marine on the ship, and the only Librarian, probably the only truly capable psyker....

Have you considered the fact that you are a virtual angel among men, capable of throwing lightingbolts from your fists and inspiring those around you to lay down their lives in the name of the Emperor by your mere presence? The Astartes are practically deified in the eyes of the average citizen, and just having you by their side, leading charges onto enemy ships, or standing by the side of the Lord-Captain during deliberations, could have far-reaching effects.

If truly bored, even a space marine might start to take an interest in the mundanes. If nothing else, start filling up the ship Librarium.

Edited by Fgdsfg, 29 September 2013 - 03:56 PM.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#11 blazingsquirrel

blazingsquirrel

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Assuming you are the only Space Marine on the ship, and the only Librarian, probably the only truly capable psyker....

Have you considered the fact that you are a virtual angel among men, capable of throwing lightingbolts from your fists and inspiring those around you to lay down their lives in the name of the Emperor by your mere presence? The Astartes are practically deified in the eyes of the average citizen, and just having you by their side, leading charges onto enemy ships, or standing by the side of the Lord-Captain during deliberations, could have far-reaching effects.

If truly bored, even a space marine might start to take an interest in the mundanes. If nothing else, start filling up the ship Librarium.

It also isn't unheard of for a chapter to like a Rogue Trader enough to lend the family a Space Marine for a guard. The example I can think of is the Space Wolves with that Rogue Trader house in the book Fist of Demetrius. There are also a couple of chapters where the marines are totally chill with mortal humans, such as the Iron Snakes and the Space Wolves.

EDIT: Oh, forgot about the Salamanders too.

Edited by blazingsquirrel, 30 September 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#12 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

Assuming you are the only Space Marine on the ship, and the only Librarian, probably the only truly capable psyker....

It also isn't unheard of for a chapter to like a Rogue Trader enough to lend the family a Space Marine for a guard. The example I can think of is the Space Wolves with that Rogue Trader house in the book Fist of Demetrius. There are also a couple of chapters where the marines are totally chill with mortal humans, such as the Iron Snakes and the Space Wolves.

EDIT: Oh, forgot about the Salamanders too.

Can't remember ever hearing about the Iron Snakes, but yeah, Space Wolves and Salamanders are total bros. The vast majority of Space Marines are utter twats when regular humans are involved, but Space Wolves and Salamanders.. way more chill than anyone that's been brainwashed by the Codex Astartes, no matter how nice Rowboat Girlyman tries to make himself sound.

Edited by Fgdsfg, 30 September 2013 - 08:10 PM.

• Routa-maa likes this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#13 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:19 AM

It also isn't unheard of for a chapter to like a Rogue Trader enough to lend the family a Space Marine for a guard. The example I can think of is the Space Wolves with that Rogue Trader house in the book Fist of Demetrius.

See the William King Space Wolves books for more details; you get to see Ragnar Blackmane actually serve with the Wolfblade (the name for the Belisarius bodyguard).

Err...I wouldn't go so far as to call the wolves exactly friendly in most cases. The Salamanders, definitely, are people you'd invite round for tea, but the Rout...the Vyka Fenryk have gotten a lot, lot less sociable over the years to anyone who doesn't meet their standards as a 'warrior' (see everything from Lone Wolves through to Blood of Asaheim). At least, not massively more so than any other chapter. They're still better in that respect than the Marines Malevolent or the Dark Angels, though.

There are other chapters who do interact with 'normal' people a lot; Marines Errant, as noted - simply because they spend so much time as broken-down squads on Rogue Trader expeditions, up to groups like the White Consuls, who directly rule fortress worlds around the Eye of Terror and interact with the populace on a daily basis as commanders and leaders rather than a secretive warrior-brotherhood off on a moon or a mountain or whatever.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS