Photo

Was cleaning out a closet the other day when I found these..

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cman811

cman811

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Spoils from winning the first melee championship! 

http://imgur.com/bR00GfP

Ahh, memories and Gold Dragon nostalgia.  Or anger, if you actually cut the 1gd points from the packs like we used to do at the time before wising up and just stapling 10packs together at once.  

#2 Staton

Staton

• Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

The Citadel is rewriting history! They are hiding the true first melee champion. The North Remembers. Never forget.

#3 Reek

Reek

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

All Hail!  The first rightful multiplayer world champion.

The North Remembers.

#4 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

Spoils from winning the first melee championship! 

http://imgur.com/bR00GfP

Ahh, memories and Gold Dragon nostalgia.  Or anger, if you actually cut the 1gd points from the packs like we used to do at the time before wising up and just stapling 10packs together at once.  

my apologies if this is offensive. But please enlighten those of us who do not know you (myself included) as to your identity. 

#5 kr4ng

kr4ng

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

I, too, would like to publicly recognize and praise you for your victory.

#6 cman811

cman811

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

Not the least bit offensive. My name is Charlie Wheeler. Hail from Illinois. Myself, staton and reek have been playing since Westeros, although in the last couple years, life has taken a toll on hobbies, and so my meta mates and I have been out of serious play in quite a while. Anyway at the 07 gencon they held the first melee championships. Interest and turnout was low, due to various factors, such as holding the tourney on Sunday(I think), and I remember at the time there being significant discussion whether or not melee was a viable tourney format. Anyway, there were 6 players, we played 3 rounds, tallied up the points and lo and behold I was the winner.

As for why its unknown, I think many things went into that. The low turnout, the newness of the format in tourney play also created its own hurdles, there was much fumbling along the way. The card The Gathering Storm would have been banned in melee anyway, but watching the tourney play out it was unsurprising that it happened so immediately. I tend to think that they basically say to themselves "That was good, now we know what to do and not do for the future, now lets pretend that didn't happen." But honestly I don't know.
  • mdc273 likes this

#7 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

I remember at the time there being significant discussion whether or not melee was a viable tourney format.

~You don't say! :D

Anyway, thanks for sharing, and welcome back.

#8 HoyaLawya

HoyaLawya

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

I remember at the time there being significant discussion whether or not melee was a viable tourney format.

It sounds like nothing has changed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS