• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#81 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,434 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

Yep :-) how else could it be? The world's are colliding, a thousand Arkhams converging in time and space...on my apartment. Reality cannot take much more strain, especially given the washing up in the kitchen from last night...and most of what stands between now and the end is in the hands of a little homeless girl and a catholic nun. Doomed to the power of 13.
So, i finally nailed my epic project - over 250,000 words - on Thursday afternoon. That means I have more free time remaining for August, before work on another epic volume begins in Sep. Soooo...AH fan league time :-) :-) :-)

Technically it's infinite Arkhams :')

And this sounds like string theory...

• The Professor likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#82 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:23 AM

Yep :-) how else could it be? The world's are colliding, a thousand Arkhams converging in time and space...on my apartment. Reality cannot take much more strain, especially given the washing up in the kitchen from last night...and most of what stands between now and the end is in the hands of a little homeless girl and a catholic nun. Doomed to the power of 13.
So, i finally nailed my epic project - over 250,000 words - on Thursday afternoon. That means I have more free time remaining for August, before work on another epic volume begins in Sep. Soooo...AH fan league time :-) :-) :-)

Technically it's infinite Arkhams :')

And this sounds like string theory...

Sounds like convenient yarn ;')

• The Professor likes this

#83 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:40 AM

Actually - technically, an infinitude is an infinitely infinite infinities, but this means that by definition somewhere within that infinitude there is a finite property, otherwise it is not genuinely infinite. Therefore, within the infinite Arkhams there is one Arkham where there really are only 'thousands' of other Arkhams, and therefore also one which is unaffected by the collapse of infinity itself!

And that is the Arkham I must and will find.

Probably.

Edited by dj2.0, 25 August 2013 - 02:40 AM.

#84 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

Actually - technically, an infinitude is an infinitely infinite infinities, but this means that by definition somewhere within that infinitude there is a finite property, otherwise it is not genuinely infinite. Therefore, within the infinite Arkhams there is one Arkham where there really are only 'thousands' of other Arkhams, and therefore also one which is unaffected by the collapse of infinity itself!

And that is the Arkham I must and will find.

Probably.

Good luck with that ;'D

#85 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:43 AM

Thanks Avi, I'll need that kind of luck! Heres episode 4.b to analyze and hopefully chuckle over :)

IV. The Moonlight Plague (or, ‘Give the Dog a Bone’)

Hi again. Here is my fourth missive From Hell. It howls at you from the night of the Full Moon last week, drenched in the blood of virgin sacrifices and positively dripping with gore. Leave the children at home with a babysitter where the serial killers can find them in comfort.

What You Need To Know
This is scenario four of the Arkham Horror Fan League, a connected series of games designed for experienced players. I am using a preset pool of 11 investigators and special rules that allow me to do things outside of the normal rules such as carry items over. For the previous games check the thread history and bring some of your favourite beverage. Also make sure your flesh and bones are comfortably positioned, and keep your seat belt fastened at all times when the warning stars are lit.

SETUP

Ancient One: Death
The team have already vanquished this spectre once already (see the comedy double act with Dracula in scenario 1), so they know what to watch for – the curses will fly and the monsters stop bothering to put on their makeup, so you can see all the things wriggling under their flesh. Its really quite nasty to face them under these conditions, the mind is whittled away to nothing in what would otherwise be innocuous circumstances and the only consolation is that they are so traumatized by the reality of their own ugliness that they are slightly less challenging to slip past. Even so, if you are cursed the extra Sneak does not go far, it’s just another 6 you won’t roll.
Curses in this game cannot be lost through rolling (see the scenario rules). So, it’s the Curse of Fatal Death that I have to steady myself to take on the chin, as there is little chance I can avoid it spreading to the entire team. I will have to plan to sacrifice trophies to obtain Blessings to nullify the Curses, and this means I will not be visiting the Science Building. If this plan fails someone is going to get devoured and so I will also have to plot around that eventuality should it arise.
I have other thoughts about this game too, but I will explain them as I describe the rest of the setup.

Herald: Lycanthropic Infestation
This herald regulates the time between day or night using a very neat mechanic that is really easy to keep track of and remember. At the start of the game it will be night, and every time the crescent symbol appears it will either keep it at night (crescent on black) or change the time to day (on white). Everyone who plays this game knows how common the crescent symbol is.
The tracking of day or night is important because the infestation is connected to it. At night, the infestation will spread more quickly and do more damage to the investigation. This is because any cultists or infected investigators on the board change into hulking furry killing machines and run rampant through the streets as Werewolves. Investigators are infected when they are (damaged?) shredded by these monsters, which rip 4 stamina out of your chunk of meat as they fly through the area – 8 if they happen to pass clean through that area, leaving a hole where you used to be. Damaged investigators are then infected (I used the appropriately moon-like brood tokens), and there is no mechanic for purging this infection.
The scenario rules (below) establish that Sister Mary begins with a rising fever and a curious bite mark on her milky neck at the start of the game…she sits in the bathroom of the chapel with her broken Remington ladyshaver (stolen from the future of Another Time) looking at the thick curly reams of hair clogging up the sink and wonders if life would not be easier if she were involved in a vehicular misadventure.
All cultists are rendered Elusive and Endless – they are the unending spawn of the moon, wearing their wolf skin on the inside, and like the progenitor Wolfman (who also never really dies but returns to the Woods) they do not count against the limit so I am potentials going to swarm with them, especially when and after turn 2 reaches its end (see the scenario rules). Finally, whenever the Moon monsters move all investigators with lycanthropy lose 1 san and if in Arkham they turn into Werewolves and move with the monsters, thus enabling the spread of the infection to nearby investigators. For this reason I intend to place Mary in a kind of quarantine away from where she can do trouble and in places where she may occasionally do some good for the team. A trip to Dunwich and then Innsmouth is one possibility. I must be very careful of sending her into a gate as investigators in otherworlds when the moon rises will be delayed if they are lycanthropes, but worse than this I could lose explored tokens while they wait on a gate if they fail to close it on the first try or ‘return to Arkham’ during the OW encounters.

Scenario Rules at Elder God

These establish the following
– That Mary is a lycanthrope, and that she will therefore move away from the Church in setup because the setup card is read as having only moon on black monsters moving.
– That the game begins with 4 Cultists, one each in the French Hill streets, the South Church, the Uptown streets and the Witch House and a Werewolf in the Woods, Since it is night, the Cultists are Werewolves (Werewolves are Elusive but not Endless but I figured the changed Cultists were still Endless as well as Elusive). All of these will move from their starting positions. They never damage each other (including investigators who change) and as Fast monsters they are Stalkers on their first move when the crescent appears on black.
– Cultists never go to Outskirts, they appear in the Woods instead.
– Investigators do not roll to discard Curses. A very nasty combo with Death.
– In Upkeep, two other investigators must also roll the die and try to avoid being cursed by a 1. Even nastier
– Wendys Elder Sign does not protect her from Deaths Cursing. It does however function normally otherwise.
– Beginning at the 2nd Mythos phase, a Cultist appears with every open gate in addition to whatever else normally flops through. Thus, werewolves will begin swarming everywhere very quickly.

My assessment of this deformed situation is that I have to deal with the Cultists quickly so they do not hamper the investigation too much, that I have to act especially quickly to avoid a mid-late game stumbling over Curses, and that I have to keep Mary in quarantine. That means keeping her a minimum of 3 moves away from every other investigator (good luck maintaining that when they are able to stalk you and use shortcuts, but its an ‘as much as possible deal’ here). Likewise I have to keep the cultists at a controllable level and at similar distances, the difficulty here being actually getting round their Elusiveness to be move in and crush them. The first turn/s will be spent sacrificing clues to make that happen. I can use Wendy to encounter them, but she is weak in combat and will need a massive armoury of backup to face them down. Better to send her off to OWs where she is actually winning me the game. I select investigators who start at the other end of town to Mary, leaving William in the box. Dexter is considered for his magical attacks and his positioning, but in the end Jacqueline has a far more useful ability that can forestall many kinds of disasters.
I also hatch a strategy for dealing with the main Werewolf once the first 4 cultists are eliminated. I realise that if it moves from the Woods it will be drawn to either the M.U. or Southside streets, and (from many games) I know that it will very likely go to the university area. So my plan is to use one of my investigators as bait, placing them in the M.U. area or just in the Uptown streets, but the M.U area is better because it is in a central board position and will funnel everything that comes out of the French Hill and Merchant areas onto my bait. The downside is this will leave me with only 3 investigators active in closing, but that is my usual allot, I just wont have much wiggle room for dealing with other threats.
Since she has 4 clues and starts with a decent ability for taking them down I choose Zoey Samaras as my Werewolf bone. Those clues will be burned up overcoming Elusive and clearing the board asap. Next, I arrange the order of the investigators so that Mary is last and everyone else can meet in the first turn to trade vital weaponry and equipment. She is going to be stripped naked and flung loose of the investigation to whatever fate awaits her. Her main asset will be as a temporary shield against Curses falling on the important investigators.

Order of Investigators

Jacqueline Fine: Is an Innsmouth informant trying to compile a Genealogy report. She knows the Wither and Mists of Releh spells.
Norman Withers is on Speed reading the King in Yellow with an Axe and a parchment with instructions on how to Draw Down the Storm.
Zoey Samaras has an Elder Sign – oops – and is swinging an Enchanted Sword about her head like a true Performer.
Wendy Adams still has a valid Press Pass and is not averse to a bit of Psychology.
Sister Mary sits in the bathroom with her Bravery, clutching her precious Healing Stone and muttering a Dread Curse of Azathoth under a Shroud of Shadow.

The Stone and the Pass were imported from the last round.

1st Mythos Card: The Moon is high and there are Strange Sleep Disorders baffling the town’s doctors. - strange indeed when people are waking up with giblets stuck between their teeth…A gate to Leng opens on the Esoteric Order (I note the passing of a Burst there) and a Dark Young squats outside. Clues are inaccessibly placed on the Reef. Werewolves are splayed out across the east of town and Mary comes to with troubling dreams and a rabid pack mate in French Hill.

THE MATCH

T1) In Upkeep the Stone hums and Mary feels restored. She casts Shroud of Shadow as Death passes by, draining the Werewolf she faces of half of its vitality. Jacqueline heads to Riverside to hunt. She summons the Mists of Releh to reveal the trail of the Werewolf and reels a bit at the smell of its breath as it snaps at her face but manages to Wither it away to a pitiful husk. Norman eases past the pair of Cultists in Uptown and slips into the Woods. After gathering the clue there he sets up his ritual circle and calls down a storm over the entire area. This draws the attention of an old man living in the woods who, in classic Hammer Horror movie style, claims to know the secrets of lycanthropy. He passes a Lore check to convince the hermit to tell him all, gaining 4 clues but losing his next turn by the fireside - as the Moon gathers clouds outside the old man begins his tale…Zoey springs into action to tackle Uptown with the Enchanted Sword, dramatically wading through the floodwaters and the raging tempest to behead them both, but the hunt has drained her of all her clues and her mind is now on the precipice of utter collapse. However she now has some red meat for the pot tonight, plus she is nicely placed as bait for the main Werewolf in Southside. Wendy flashes the pass at the Square and nets herself 2 clues whilst luckily avoiding the thieving gypsies. Meanwhile, with her Sneak set to maximum Mary creeps up on her furry companion and tips the Holy Water over its head, eliminating the last Cultist, but she is now adjacent to Jacqueline and within reach of Zoey should she start to feel a bit funny hungry again.
There is a Manhunt in Arkham; a gate opens on Norman at the Woods depositing him and his lost turn in Another Dimension. Doom hits 2, a skeleton wanders the trees, Wendy finds another clue among the gypsies and then the manhunt finds the Skeleton and the Dark Young, leaving both gates free. The Werewolf has failed to catch Zoey’s scent on the wind.

T2) Upkeep: Death misses out again as Mary recovers more of her sanity and holds onto her Blessing. Norman does nothing but listen to the tall tales of the old man before realising the scenery outside has changed a bit, unless the trees in the Woods have been painted a bright neon colour and he failed to observe it. Do they even have neon colours in the late 1920s anyhow, he can’t quite recall…? No, don’t be silly, its definitely Another Dimension out there. Dripping in gore, Zoey heads off to the kitchen of the Historical Society (the Hospital is not private enough) to cook up her stew, passing the Werewolf glaring at her from the bushes across the street. She scoops up the gossip and comes across an old cipher for interpreting archaic languages but she has no suitable text to apply it to. Wendy takes the train to Innsmouth and parks herself on Church Green, feeding the birds at tuppence a bag. Sister Mary is exiled to the Police Station, handing off all her gear but the Cross to Jacqueline and taking 2$ for it in return. This 2$ is immediately sniffed out by that imbecile Dingby at the station, but she refuses his bribe to hand it over for a clue. She is going to have to pay hospital fees after all. Meanwhile, taking all the loot Jacqueline hotfoots it to the Graveyard, noting the clue that is there and gathering 2 further clues by donating 3$ to the restoration of the tombs.
A gate to the City of the Great Race opens at the Unnameable and a Cultist and a Tcho Tcho arrive in Arkham. Doom rises to 3, clues show up at the Cave and those oddly thematic gypsies have a caravan arrive in Southside. Perhaps they have come to see grandma in the bushes?

T3) Upkeep: Marys Blessing fails her. She is now stripped to wearing just a Cross and a Brave attitude. Jacqueline rubs the Stone, calming her mind. It was right to take advantage of Mary, she reasons. Zoey leaves the Church to mingle with the Southside crowd, on the hunt for that original Werewolf. She ignores the very dubious gypsies and is sneaky enough to track it down and almost loses her last droplet of normality sacrificing her only clue to the horror, but the blind fury of the sword snags a limb, and the thing tucks its tail and hobbles off to its den in the Woods. That could be bad for Norman, who is due to arrive back there. Wendy heads to the Refinery with her pass for 2 more clues where she breaks into an office library and rifles through the Sumatra Queens log. There she reads about the journeys of Captain Obed Marsh in the South Pacific and draws a further clue from his ramblings about aquatic creatures and sunken cities. Mary is sent far away to the Newspaper. After the police seem disinterested in her horror story the media want pictures, and she forgot to take them when she was ripping the old ladies throat out. Shame. Jacqueline explores the double bill of clues at the Cave and is faced with a Child of the Goat, which is actually a Werewolf, so she doesn’t even bother with trying to overcome its Elusive nature and lets it go. The pitiful creature looked a lot like Granny Orne anyway…Norman finds his gate back to the Woods from The Place With The Neon Trees and figures out how to collapse and seal the portal with his clues. The first seal arrives on top of the Werewolf in its den but there are only crescent monsters aboard so Norm misses his chance to go fishing. Nevertheless, Norm (Cheers! – yes, I’m talking to you Julia!) still has 3 clues and the KiY.
Death is nót amused and opens up the dreaded Reef. Now I am in trouble. I put a Cultist and a Mi-Go on a gate to the Dreamlands there and raise Doom to 4. The Mi-Go takes off just as the taxman knocks and everyone has to bail out the banks again. Everyone loses one dollar but Jacqueline, who is robbed of 2. This sucks, as it nerfs my plan to send Wendy to the Reef – she has only got 1 dollar now. The mindless rictus grin of Death widens but Norman escapes being dog food for now.

T4) Upkeep: The narrowest of missed disasters – a 2 on all 3 Upkeep rolls. Jacqueline casts the Shroud and fondles the Stone – free spells are so nice. Wendy was headed for Falcon Point but the tax sting has made that impossible, so she throws herself through the gate to Leng at the Order. On the plateau a sleeping inhabitant of Leng fails to wake up when she steals his precioussss – a Molotov Cocktail. Mary heads to Riverside – she is unfortunately integral to my plan to deal with the Reef now, because everyone needs to pool money to get someone out there. This is what Credit Ratings are supposed to be good for, she spits. Jacqueline emerges from the Cave, drops 3$ off with Mary, then heads to the Unnameable. She wraps the area in Shroud, summons the Mists again to find the Cultist and then obliterates it with 5 successes on her truly Dread Curse of Azáthoth. She then Withers the Tcho-Tcho, loots its body of a .38 revolver and plunges forwards into the City. There she discovers to her horror that the Yithians are collecting people and after an amazing 3 successes on Lore -2 [2] she releases them all and befriends an ally of her choice from the deck. After looking through the 11 for the game I find the perfect companion for her – Father Iwanicki. She can no longer be Cursed and so I now have an investigator with immunity to the fatal Curse of Death. An amazing turn for the psychic and I decide to take full advantage of this status so Norman leaves the Woods to explore the Church, placing a Blessing on Jacqueline. She now utterly rocks. Zoey sprints across town on her way to Northside, grabbing all the cash she can from Mary on the way through Riverside. She desperately needs to catch that train this turn but collapses breathless on the sidewalk as it pulls away.
A gate opens at the Graveyard – another entrance to the City is created by a Cultist and a Ghost. Doom is 5 and there are 4 open gates. Clues appear at the Cave and Father Michael is ranting about poor homeless souls in the streets and wanting to start a Clothing Drive. Fortunately, this is not the maddeningly cruel and game-killing slowness of the original Drive but the revised version which is much cleaner mechanically. My brain relaxes, letting go of foetid memories of the amusing but annoying old Drive. But does Death care? The Werewolf certainly doesn’t, it just wants its arm back quicker so it can go for another run.
There is a bigger problem though – the Mi-Go swoops on Zoey as she drags herself up out of the gutter. I have to weigh the choice of dealing it a death blow and delaying Zoey further or trying to sneak past it while maintaining enough speed to reach Falcon Point. This could well prove to be the most critical point in the investigation…

T5) Upkeep again passes without a Curse and Jacqueline begins restoring her sanity after last turns massive magical brain drain. It is time to get Mary out of the way of Zoey, just in case her dark passenger shows up again. I exile her to the Administration Building where she sells a monograph on lycanthropy for 5 dollars. Jacqueline and Iwanicki explore the deeper chambers of the City where they find the bubbling body of a Proto-Shoggoth and investigating it costs her a clue but gains them two new ones. Norman relaxes at Mas reading the King in Yellow and listening to Jazz Mulligan (who is still playing from when Mary was last here apparently). This nets him 4 clues without any loss of sanity. I decide Zoey has to take her single sanity point and get out of the situation she is in and thank the stars for the extra sneak that death gives her as she evades the buzzing entity and trains it all the way to the Bus Station at Innsmouth, dodging the mummy shambling through the crowds. Wendy presses further into Leng where she sees a thing in the ice that she cannot remove and probably should not want to.
A meteorite smashes into the already Blasted Heath, a star stone from which oozes a Tcho Tcho and a Shan. A gate to the Abyss opens on the Unvisited Isle when a Cultist teams up with a Formless Spawn and they seem to know something about it at the Science Building as well as at Velmas. Doom hits 6 and Mary is Blessed again when she fails her PS. Zoey seems to have made it to Innsmouth just in time as next turn its marshal law. Phew! But she must still get through the Dreamlands with her mind intact…
This was a white crescent mythos, so all the Cultists are now becoming human again. I am massively relieved as I watch Mary exit the Admin building on fur and tear into the empty streets, waking in the Merchant District with another bout of fuzzy mouth syndrome but no chunks of Zoey in her mouth. Likewise, the newly regenerated Werewolf tears up the west side of town and comes to rest hungry in the M.U. streets, and the Cultist on the Isle joins Mary. Worse though is the Reef cultist who throws herself onto the jagged rocks, dribbling sacrificial blood on the Deep Ones and terrorizing the town. Erica Carlisle goes missing.

T6) Upkeep: Death spirits Marys secondary Blessing away immediately, but golden girl Jacqueline keeps hers. She returns to the Graveyard with Iwanicki, withering away the Ghost and drawing on her Lore to close the gate for the second seal. Norman has to position himself so that he can enter the Unnameable next turn so he enters the Lodge and hears their concerns over ‘celestial bodies being changed by some outside force’. Zoey pays to make the rest of the trip to the Reef, entering the Dreamlands, but is so captivated by the depths of the river she arrives on that she becomes delayed. Meanwhile Wendy has arrived back from Leng at the Order and flunks her Lore roll to seal the gate with clues. I exile Mary to the asylum for some free electro shock therapy. Hysteria is a big problem in these times, especially for women, you know?
The Next Act Begins! Mary exits the asylum – maybe that ‘treatment’ wasn’t such a great idea? She winds up in East town, the Werewolf in Northside, a humanoid Cultist with it, the Mi-Go flies up again and does some aerobics with the Shan and the Tcho Tcho sacrifices itself in the vortex. Oops. That makes 2 Dunwich and 2 Deep One tokens. Terror rises to 2 and Thomas Olney is found in pieces. Then, thanks to the Mythos, Terror rises to 3 and the shop closes as Professor Armitage is found – or more accurately, his head is found. Doom is still 6 and there are 4 open gates, but Jacqueline can now forestall the next disaster and Zoey gets a +1 on any check each turn because she grooves with theatre.

T7) Upkeep: Jacqueline is now fully healed thanks to the Stone and Iwanicki shields her from being Cursed. However, she is not all there anymore thanks to visions of despair triggering last mythos. Memories of the Cult encounter in the Cave pick at her mind…Norman makes it to the Unnameable, dodging the Formless Spawn in the Merchant streets to pass through the portal and continue the teams exploration of the City, but he wanders eerily empty streets. Zoey breaks away from staring into the dream river and narrowly evades being ambushed by a Wraith using her newfound performing skills. Figure that one out! Wendy wonders whether to try again or give it the wizardry with her Sign and since it does not save her from Deaths curse she opts for the latter, bringing Doom back down to 5, acquiring the 3rd seal and meeting her dad once more in the process. Mary is exiled to the Admin building again. She tries to help an anthropology department translate a stone tablet but her knowledge of the 10 commandments mysteriously fails her. Jacqueline heads to the Science Building next door to discuss the Yithian plot and walks away with a horde of 4 clues. She now has 6.
Jacqueline foresees a disastrous surge at the Reef as Innsmouth nearly gets restless so she navigates away from it. It would also have triggered Act II. Ghastly. Instead, Campus security is increased (‘no, there’s no Werewolf in a habit out there at all, move along, these aren’t the bloodstains you’re looking for’). A gate opens on the Square, edging Doom back to 6, and a Cultist and Shoggoth emerge from the Underworld. The Shoggoth slithers over to Northside but the campus security cannot find the Werewolf to send it back to the cup or even to the Woods. Darn those special rules.

T8) Upkeep is eventless. Zoey finally enters the second stage of the Dreamlands and starts talking to herself to pass the time. She is alarmed when she responds to her own question in a language she doesn’t know. This almost vacuums the last shred of sanity directly out of her head, but instead she teaches herself the Red Sign spell. Wendy heads to Falcon Point intending to bail Zoey out of her stranding on the Reef and meets with salty fishermen who try to negotiate a 4$ fee for a single Feds token. Bah. Mary removes herself from troubles radius at the Woods; she sees arcane symbols carved onto the trees but cannot decipher them. Jacqueline enters the gate at the Square, evading the Formless Spawn, the werewolf and a Cultist. In the Underworld she stands before an enormous bas-relief in the temple of Nodens in the Vale of Pnath. The air turns louder, darker, and she has to call on her luck-1 when her luck is 1 with no clues to spare. To fail this roll is to roll again and watch her be devoured or lose all her clues on a failure. Its 50/50 then. I take the deathly dice, do some jiggery pokery with my hands waving over the board, and cast my Blessed and ensorcelled lot…a 4. Heart in mouth time! Had I not waved my arms mysteriously I am sure it would have been a 3. Norman finds a gate back to the Unnameable and closes the City down again, bringing me 2 seals away from victory.
An attempted burst on the Witch House makes me smile remembering the danger of the other tracks being at 2 and the tie in with the witch hunt game, Doom rises to 7, initiating marshal law in Innsmouth. A portal to Yuggoth opens and a Serpent person emerges with the obligatory Cultist. As clues appear at the Science Building and Historical Society Mary is transformed again along with all the Cultists but once more she avoids discovering that she has murdered her friends when she wakes up in front of the Church. Mass movement on the board sees the original Werewolf cast around looking for fresh meat too, but it cannot find any. I place the Formeless Spawn on the Science Building as a vivisection ‘victim’.

T9) Once again Death is stymied by Iwanicki and Jacqueline is saved. However, Mary is cursed. These games are so tough on her! Onwards thinks Wendy as she remembers that Zoe does not need her and trains it back to Arkham to meet an empty station. Mary comes back to the bosom of the Church where Father Michael convinces her to donate her cross to the poor. Glorious Jacqueline penetrates the inner cave system of the Underworld and finds the tunnel that smells of Arkham and Norman joins with Wendy at the station and ignores it when a porter drops what looks like an ancient relic on the tracks. He gives her his Find Gate spell and takes the Press Pass. Zoey finally makes it back from her epic voyage and shreds the last pieces of her mind using her Elder Sign, coming down with an understandable agoraphobia but sealing the 5th gate and clawing back a Doom token.

Monsters then surge out of the Witch House, putting a Proto-Shoggoth on the Square in front of Jacqueline and the truly horrible (for this scenario) Strength of the Earth turned Mary one more time and boosted all the toughness of the crescent monsters, but nothing can stop Jacqueline and Iwanicki from sealing the last gate and finally bringing a final end to Father Michaels insanely persistent Clothing Drive.

THE BIT YOU GO TO DIRECTLY WHEN YOU NEED TO KNOW IF I WON

Results: Seals:: 6 Doom 6, Terror 3, Dunwich 2, Innsmouth 2, Score: 18

Fine: Healing Stone, Shroud of Shadow, Genealogy Report, Mists of Releh, Wither, .38 revolver, Blessing
Withers: Press Pass, Axe
Samaras: Enchanted Sword, Red Sign of Shudde M’ell, Agoraphobia
Adams: Find Gate, Psychology
Mary: Bravery, Curse

Ok, hope that was fun to read, thanks for reading and thanks again Avi and Julia for the game, I have posted some comments in the fan league thread as well. Stay tuned for part 5!

Edited by dj2.0, 27 August 2013 - 08:26 AM.

#86 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,434 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

Dj, I don't know if it's more fun reading your chronicles or playing the League. There is something in your black humour I adore (and I know for sure for Avi's the same), like "Leave the children at home with a babysitter where the serial killers can find them in comfort". Kudos to that!

And congrats for passing the Elder God mode for Scenario 4!

• dj2.0 likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#87 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

Thanks! High praise indeed! Arkham does bring out the dark humorist in me, it is so much fun to see it that way! And a lot of fun to write!
This was actually very close - I am certain I would have lost badly had Jacqueline succumbed to the temple of Nodens. I was pretty happy that nobody else got a lycanthropy token too. And the way things worked out with Jacqueline was just perfect.

Edited by dj2.0, 27 August 2013 - 08:11 AM.

• Julia likes this

#88 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

Dj, I don't know if it's more fun reading your chronicles or playing the League. There is something in your black humour I adore (and I know for sure for Avi's the same), like "Leave the children at home with a babysitter where the serial killers can find them in comfort". Kudos to that!

And congrats for passing the Elder God mode for Scenario 4!

Ditto.  I had one especially amused moment while reading your when the molotov cocktail was described as the preciousssss.  I could imagine the investigator (or Gollum) putting their finger and it losing their whole hand (arm?) as a result.  The One Ring shall henceforth be known as Fingereater.

• dj2.0 likes this

#89 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

*chuckles* I am pretty sure that Smeagol moment arcanely bled through from my current struggle to nab the fingereater in the riddles in the dark lcg quest. If only i could lob a molotov on that challenge.

#90 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,434 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:28 AM

Actually, Smeagol was nothing but a normal guy who tried to pass this League. And tried. And tried :P :P :P :P :P

• Avi_dreader and dj2.0 like this

#91 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

Actually, Smeagol was nothing but a normal guy who tried to pass this League. And tried. And tried :P :P :P :P :P

::Laughter:: oh, is that what happens to people who disappear from the forums?

#92 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:29 PM

Its one of the dark fates they can succumb to yes :-) some are still battling through games involving the original Clothing Drive. Others are LiTaS after being swallowed whole by your league, have gone permanently insane after multiple horror checks against kr-en (He Who Shall Not Be Named), or have perhaps met with happier fates. I am secretly hoping jgt met with something old, new, borrowed and beautifully blue, and vanished into the time vortex. It would have pleased him, especially this year. Perhaps he will make it back some time...

Edited by dj2.0, 28 August 2013 - 11:31 PM.

• Avi_dreader likes this

#93 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,434 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:34 AM

kr-en (He Who Shall Not Be Named)

When compared to him, Voldemort looked like a dilettante...

I am secretly hoping jgt met with something old, new, borrowed and beautifully blue, and vanished into the time vortex. It would have pleased him, especially this year. Perhaps he will make it back some time...

Actually, Jgt made a post two days ago in the thread about the most terrible investigators ever... so, he's not totally disappeared (looks like Randolph Carter returning from the Gates of the Silver Key), but I totally hope to read more of him in the days to come

• dj2.0 likes this

#94 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

V. Darkness Dawning: The End of The Beginning

And now, the end is near... Perhaps in the cold measure of aeons there is in some abyssal place a mind for whom the passing of time itself is but a moment, but not here, not in the withering circle of life that is trying to hold back The Darkness, no, not ever in Arkham...for them and for everything, time is running out with the stealthy alacrity of lightning spitting in Blackest Night.

Welcome back to my foray into total hopelessness. This is my report on scenario 5 of the AH Fan League at Elder God mode, but you probably know that already by now, so I’ll stop reminding you.

If you are planning on playing this awesome epic - and who among us wouldn’t? – SPOILERS!

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

Herbert West has assumed some kind of god-form after his ‘defeat’ in scenario 2. He was apparently using Glaaki as part of some nefarious plot and has been reborn as The Lich King Xzmundl, an interdimensional conqueror who has unleashed a plague of undead the likes of which the universes have never seen. After our heroes turn Death itself to dust at the end of the last confrontation – a temporary setback for sure – Wendy goes and plucks the Necronomicon from the pile of ragged yellowing bones and Deaths master, a thing of blindness and terror known only as The Darkness, begins to pursue her through eternity. Oops, but that’s what can happen when you go reading someone else’s diary I guess.

Ancient One: The Darkness
The Darkness is absolute – like Azathoth there is no survivable direct confrontation - everything will be devoured wholesale if this thing breaks through the gate to Arkham. Ordinarily this is no problem - with a Doom of 14 The Darkness takes a long time to dawn. But I am at the Elder God difficulty, which means it starts the game with 4 Doom tokens, so I’m in trouble there even before the first gate opens. Effectively I have a Doom of only 10.
This inky sentient darkness slowly seeping in through the crack between the nothing hampers the movement of the team (-1 MP) and insidiously terrorizes the town and spreads madness among the investigators (1st player must roll a die in Upkeep, raising Terror on a 1 - remember this - or inflict a Madness on the 1st player on a 2). Madness of any kind is the fixated and obsessive sort that means the investigator can no longer retire. All the monsters but the green and blue ones (specials and flyers) are stalkers whenever they have the immediate chance, skulking through the thickening clouds of night, and the flyers enter buildings and hunt you down rather than just keeping an eye on the streets. Remember this too. All undead have 3 extra toughness.

Herald: The Lich King Xzmundl
The artiste formerly known as The Reanimator has arrived in the ‘skies’ above Arkham on the back of a monstrous winged beast and sweeps in with an army of horrors. Such a performer! It is Blackest Night at the start of the game (the environment is drawn for the setup card). This scenario continues the mechanic of tracking time in Arkham seen in scenario IV, but this time instead of movement symbols being used the game is looking at environments that modify Sneak rolls, with a + indicating it is Night, and a – indicating Day. Only Day or Night environments can have their Mythos effects applied i.e. every environment that does not modify Sneak will have its Mythos special effect ignored (gates will still open etc.) and be discarded (I decide this will not affect the MH Acts mechanic, which state ‘immediately after a Mythos card is drawn…’). This way it will probably stay Night with Blackest Night in play all game. I’m happy with this because it means I am immune to many very nasty effects like No One Can Help You Now.
Wraith will be the first monster. This thing has 3 natural toughness; however, Xzmundl has turned ALL monsters into undead and added a further drop of toughness to them, whilst normally undead monsters have been invested with 4 extra toughness and cannot be spent. Add this to the boost given by The Darkness and the opening Wraith has 10 toughness. The other monsters are functionally just as bad:

1 toughness (1t) monsters are now 5t undead, 8t if normally undead
2t monsters are now 6t undead, 9t if normally undead,
Etc.

If Day is ever drawn (i.e. a -X Sneak Mythos card is drawn), there is a mechanic which basically gives me 3 turns until it will suddenly turn to Night again, consequently causing Arkham to be terrorized. If it ever gets to be Day the investigators benefit from Will +1 and can ignore resistances and treat immunities as resistances. Nice, but it will probably never happen, the game wants it to be Night and stay that way, and that’s fair enough, because at Night all the monsters gain physical resistance and those with physical immunity get magical resistance instead. So all the monsters are now undead with at least 5 toughness and physical resistance and the worst of them cannot even be spent. If you are foolish enough to actually slaughter any of these horrors you will be confronted with it reanimating itself with Herberts undying love juice in your 1st player Upkeep in order to battle you again, returning to the cup if you evade.

Scenario Rules: The Gate limit widens slightly, giving me more room in that direction. In addition to the Sneak boost from Blackest Night I will get another, making +2. This is a much more precious gift. All Elder Signs are turned to dust and not redrawn. So this means only clues will suffice and Wendy is down one unique item as she is a required investigator, but if you read this far you will recall The Necronomicon is in her possession now. It’s not a good thing – she can barely read it and doing so destroys her as a useful investigator. To make this even more clear, Wendy is being hounded so badly by the forces of Darkness for having it that she is on a slippery slope to utter insanity (draw one Madness each Upkeep on a  roll of 1-2). Another requirement is Zoey, who after having an epiphany can shave 2t off of all the monsters she faces – a minor de-buff on even the weakest foe that does nothing to encourage combative tactics.
About the Terror – remember there is a die in Upkeep with Terror rising on a 1, and the fact that Day will eventually trigger a Terror rise as well. Remember that the monsters are tough if not nigh impossible to destroy and that I am strongly encouraged to Sneak my way to victory and you begin to see the import of watching the Terror. But Terror has few negative consequences outside of special rules which boost it, and lo! like a prophecy fulfilled, here they come: a Glaaki servant is drawn and its swingeing bailout cuts applied to the investigation as sanctions. Here is where the bile rises in my throat and I start to choke. The number of uncontrollable Terror rises in the Mythos deck is pretty high. So for this reason alone, Jacqueline (who incidentally cannot redraw Day or Night Mythos cards) is going on my list of recruits. Oh yes, and after the Servant strikes, the 1st player has their sanity reduced to 0 – more Madness and worst of all, delay.

THE TEAM

Obviously the stratagem is to evade and use the cover of darkness to foil the plot, but surges are going to get nasty with that movement penalty. I get +2 on Sneak but -1 Movement so Speed is a big consideration here. I also need Jacqueline to gain some control over the Terror track. I look over the pool and check out the recruitment options with all this in mind and then carefully order the team rotation according to my first turn plan. Knowing the location of the first gate helps.

Dexter Drake makes his debut here because of his magical attack spells and because of his Speed – with the crunch on moving, Norman is just cripplingly slow in Arkham. So he beams up to Nodens and Dex beams down with his usual spells as well as a ritual of Greater Banishment, a Student Newspaper, knowledge of Alchemical Process and a Crystal of the Elder Things to power all his magic. This is a neat setup that gives him lots of options and addresses his main weakness – the loss of sanity. To top it off, he gets the mini Lore Blessing called Library Use as a Skill. Awesome.
Zoey Samaras is required – she is on a Divine bloodbath crusade, (hey, who am I to argue with God, who is after all a woman?).  She is hobbling around on an Enchanted Cane with an illuminated Manuscript and is all whizzed up on Speed.
Wendy Adams, also required – dribbling, gibbering, lost her dad for good in this world Wendy…she keeps the Press Pass from last game and of course the Necronomicon, which fittingly has afflicted her with the Mythos Lore Skill.
Jacqueline Fine takes the Healing Stone from the world of the lycanthropy outbreak and figures it is best to Hide away with it since by Elder God variant she will have 3 Green Corruptions. She gets the Storm of Spirits, Call Friend, and draws Primal Surge, Speak to Your Friend and Nightmarish Visions.
Sister Mary: Required Mary-no-longer-Hairy is a Sneak with Mists of Releh and the Dread Curse again. It seems to like her…

THE MATCH

A gate to R’lyeh is open at the Cave with the 10t Wraith on it. Doom is at 5.

T1) In Upkeep, Wendy narrowly avoids madness and Dex dabbles in alchemy before heading to the Unnameable where he encounters a zombie with 8t! The shambling corpse is apparently left behind as he runs downstairs, clues in hand. Zoey takes the train to Dunwich and heads to the Carnival where she gets sucked into the roundup for a display of ‘Oddities of Nature and Unspeakably Bizarre Creatures”. She could have snuck away with a desiccated corpse – but of what? – yet doesn’t really want to because of the bubbling green reanimation juice it is preserved in. Wendy goes to Hibbs where her Pass nets her a total of 3 clues, but loses 2$ to a pool shark. Jacqueline sniffs out a trail at the Unvisited Isle when she catches sight of herself in a reflection as an Egyptian priestess and gains 3 more clues but is Cursed by what she sees. Meanwhile, Mary is poking around at the Historical Society and spends some time chatting to an unimpressed Professor Armitage.  
Chanting opens a gate to Another Time at the Marsh Refinery as a Dark Young is summoned. Doom reaches 6 already. In the murk of Blackest Night the soup kitchens are looking for donations for the homeless - the undead are always so hungry, although they do wait so patiently in line. The investigators, however, claim not to be hungry and make excuses about being too busy. Jacqueline has a Primal Surge and refocuses, concocting a plan for turn 2.

T2) Upkeep sails by. Zoey leaves the freak show to head up Wizards Hill, perhaps to receive tablets (Opipramol?). Instead she finds only the cold dark but also the last clue she needs to seal a gate. Wendy Adams parks herself in the Merchant District streets, feeding the birds. Cursed Jacqueline then leaves the Isle and heads to the General Store, giving Wendy the Healing Stone and 1$. At the store she parts with more cash to walk out with a .45 as Mary heads to the Woods, finding another clue stuck to the crusty bits of a bloodied axe, which she finds useful herself. I don’t quite know what she is thinking. Even a Cultist would not succumb to the heaviest of blows she could rain down on it. Dexter then flees the Unnameable, telling Wendy to be strong as he strips her of the Healing Stone, the Necronomicon and the Press Pass and runs away to the Graveyard before she can bawl. What a hero! In the Graveyard he scrapes up 2 more clues watching Pickman paint gargoyles, but the painter is not impressed by Dexter and ignores him.
Someone accuses the Whatelys of witchcraft after a Leng Spider and Nightgaunt are spotted in the Backwoods, right in Zoeys path. A gate to Pnakotus bursts open on the Witch House, Doom rises to 7 and martial law is declared in Innsmouth. A formless Spawn slithers pathogenically from out of a tendril of The Darkness and clues show up at the Library.

T3) Upkeep: …The Dark is so soft, so inviting, so velvety…so much simpler a solution, just lying down here in the curb all curled up in The Darkness…Wendy succumbs to Narcolepsy after listening to too much bad music at Hibbs and then being robbed by Dexter, and begins dropping off at critical moments (when the moon symbol appears in the black movement box of a mythos card during the Mythos Phase, you are delayed). But amazingly Jacqueline immediately shrugs off her Curse – she is really shining lately – and Dex gathers fungi from the Graveyard and bubbles it into gold using the stone to balance the karma of introducing alien essential meaning into a harmless mushroom. Wendy throws herself sleepily at the Witch House, evading the guardian Spawn to enter the City of the Great Race of Yith. The weight of eons presses down on her yawning form, forcing her to fall back on Luck when there is none to be had, so she draws on her Mythos Lore instead and narrowly avoids losing all 5 of her clues and being Lost to the press of Eternity. Phew! Jacqueline leaves the shop for the Cave; using her skill at hiding to evade the 10t wraith lurking in the passages, she enters R’lyeh and through some kind of quantum entanglement with Wendy begins to fall asleep. She wakes up sleep-chanting and concentrating she burns up 2 clues to gain 2 clues and the Wither spell from her own Egyptian ramblings. Mary researches the clue at the Library but then it closes, moving her to the street. Dex reads the newspaper, activating the pass to suck 2 clues off of Devil Reef on his way to the Square where he finds another clue waiting and befriends the queen of the gypsies Anna Kaslow to gain a further 2, a wizardly but karmically tainted total of 5 clues this turn, now giving him 8. Zoey ponders her options and decides on sneakiness, evading the monsters in Backwoods to plunder the Whately Farm. However, after dodging the Formless Spawn thanks to the helpful caw of a watching crow she is accosted by the Nightgaunt and flown over to Innsmouth, where she is unceremoniously hurled into Another Time. Spinning mindlessly in the time vortex the sound of distant drums comes to her ears, and she floats down, down, grinning inanely but still holding it together. At least here there are some pretty lights. I had forgotten the Nightgaunt did that, it’s been so long and I usually just shoot them down.
The Merchants, having had enough of all the poor taking advantage of the absolute darkness to rob them literally blind, are protesting at the outrage of being less wealthy with a march. As Dex is dropping some cheesy line on Kaslow the world opens up underneath them and they find themselves floating next to Zoey. Doom rises to 8 with only 4 of 9 gates open and no seals! Yikes!!!! The useless merchants fail to flush out any undead, none of which move themselves, and Jacqueline surges again.

T4) Upkeep: All these walking corpses are just too much, “I have seen the future and its name is Walmart!!” screams Jacqueline in R’lyeh, as a fatal breach occurs in her mind from which she will never recover, She is now Necrophobic and had better stay well clear of all monsters and the Graveyard. Dexter dabbles with that alien essential meaning again, bringing his account to 14$ and rubbing out the memory of the experience with the stone. Undaunted, Jacqueline presses foolishly deeper towards the centre of what is after all the watery tomb of an incomprehensibly undying Thing from beyond the stars, Should we admire her, or pity her? The gods of Arkham say pity, for she is shown a second reflection of herself and comes to believe that the knowledge she has gained has been worth the sacrifice.  In doing so I can have her discard 3 clues to become Blessed, but this is not in my plan and would not work in my favour at this time. Mary moves from the University streets to the Unnameable, collecting a further clue, but needing to be swift to avoid falling through a strange gulf that opens in the ceiling as she walks over it and once again is ejected, ending up on the street. The Night seems to want her for itself, in the evil open, she thinks, but the invincible Wraith has not yet flown the Cave and so she is safe. Zoey hurls the Illuminated Manuscript at Dexter and Anna as they separate in the vortex and then they come to land on some kind of strange refraction of the floor Sister Mary has just walked across, only in this case the floor opens to reveal…nothingness. They leap to avoid tumbling into the void of time and space and are delivered safely over the breach. Zoey floats by again, gibbering helplessly, drooling as she tries to make sense of an environment that defies logic or reason. She rolls a die for each clue (5) and discards a clue for each 1 rolled, but there are none. I feel well lucky and start mocking the board, ‘Whodaman!?!’ It is foolish and I immediately know it, I feel the beast beneath the board stirring in rage... Wendy finds the heart of Pnakotus and is chased by twisted creatures, but even narcoleptic she is far too fast and cunning with her Mythos Lore to fail to outrun them – another save from relentless pursuit into LiTaS.
The Earth Trembles: a surge of monsters pour out of Another Time and into the Order of Dagon. A Serpent Person and a Dark Druid gather there, a Maniac reveals his mad plan at the Witch House, an Elder Thing scuttles out of the Cave ahead of Jacqueline and a bona fide Zombie shows up at Indie Square – clearly the same zombie Dex ran away from at the Unnameable, as it is waiting for him there. Or is it? No, because the big disaster is the movement. The Nightgaunt takes wing and the Leng Spider moves to the Commons. Then the Druid makes his dastardly on black onto the Innsmouth Green and is joined by the Serpent Person, the Wraith finally takes leave of the Cave, and all the monsters shuffle so that the zombie is now in the Uptown streets. But the Leng Spider heads directly into the vortex, triggering the Deep Ones, the Dunwich Horror and the Glaaki effect. Ugh. I cannot cancel with Jacqueline without taking a big hit in my momentum, so I let it pass and luckily get the spell Servant which only costs the team the Dread Curse, Call Friend and the now defunct Alchemical Process. However, Jacqueline is going down anyway, as she is the first player and so her sanity is reduced to nothingness and the nothingness becomes Obsessive need for possession; she can no longer trade or use items that are one shots. She is swept away on the verge of exiting R’lyeh by a simply foul wind that also triggers her Nightmarish Visions and Speak to Your Friend corruptions before dumping her like used toilet paper in LiTaS. Pity Jacqueline indeed, I reflect, and reel in my ego as Dexter suddenly finds himself a Goat Cult Initiate and grows the beard to match.
It is a brutal chain but it could have been so much worse. The Trembling Earth is a non-Sneak environment that reads: ‘At the start of each Upkeep Phase while this card is in play, roll a die. On a 1, the terror level increases by 1. While this card is in play, investigators receive 1 less movement point each turn.’ It is horrible in this scenario, so I take some solace in watching it go straight to the discard pile and in the fact that I fended off all but one of the relentless attacks against the investigation in this dreadful turn.
But then I kick myself when I remember Dex has a Greater Banishing I could have used to dispose of the Leng Spider and Nightgaunt when they appeared…

T5) Upkeep: I am determined to hit back and am encouraged when nothing bad happens in Upkeep. Dex heals then uses the Crystal to power the Banishment of the Formless Spawn, the Dark Young and that hated Dark Druid. Mary heads to the Science Building for her fifth clue and ignores the temptation to drink the bubbling brew in the lab (amazingly she is at full health for once!). Dexter and Anna then progress to the point in Another Time where they are confronted with an undead Fire Vampire (mayhap the one William extinguished with his bare hands in the Woods ‘earlier’), which they manage to swerve past. Zoey then arrives and snatches the Healing Stone before being assailed by a vortex that attempts to suck her into yet another LiTaS situation, but she fights back and avoids it. Wendy then finally returns from the City of Pnakotus and brings about the first seal at the Witch House using her Mythos Lore again. Jacqueline floats aimlessly between realities, obsessing about the dead and clutching her jewellery and .45.
The Festival arrives with a gate to Leng opening at the Woods (Doom 9) and a Star Spawn emerges. Monsters are shuffling around in droves…Mary hears the mournful wailing of the Wraith coming for her down the dark hallways of Miskatonic…The Festival packs up immediately, given that nobody can see it, and Wendy finally collapses and falls asleep on her seal…

T6) Dexter is struck by Claustrophobia - Anna turns out to be a pretty clingy gal, especially in the dark when you are hurtling through a temporal rift. Zoey uses the stone to calm her fragile mind, reliving her epiphany in the curtains of the time vortex. Dexter snatches it back from her as he and Anna spin down a continuum tunnel back to Innsmouth where they easily seal the second gate drawing on Library Use. Zoey likewise ends up back in Arkham at the Square and crushes the archway leading to hell for the third seal and banishing the Elder Thing. Wendy wakes up in the Witch House to find an artist's address book lies on a table with a list of names: Lizzie Burke, Pinkie McCormick, Tessie. She feels like she knows them all, or knew them, and feels a stab of sadness but gains a clue. Jacqueline re-materialises in the Cave and heads back to R’yleh where she has to sneak by an undead ghoul. Mary escapes the Wraith and runs for the gate at the Woods, slipping through the legs of the Star Spawn to find herself in a mad scientists laboratory. Quickly she stops a terrible lever from being pulled by a cackling version of herself and robs the machinery of its gem worth 4$.
The Darkness falters, pawing ineffectively at Wendy in the Witch House, but stirring the Deep Ones to rise to stage 2 of their activities. An Estate Sale is attempted in Uptown and immediately called off. Quietest Mythos Ever?

T7) Upkeep: Now Wendy gets Necrophobic as well. Unsurprising but a lucky escape for Jacqueline, as the duplicate would finish her.  Dexter nullifies the effect of Claustrophobia with the stone. Zoey risks pausing in the Miskatonic streets in front of the Wraith on the way to the Church. Wendy heads there too and finds Father Michael wants to ‘check her for Exhibit Items’  (oh, this is a so seriously dodgy an encounter in Wendys case…). Jacqueline reaches the spot in R’lyeh where she lost her grip on reality last time, but this time she survives a strange rash and cough by rubbing her jewellery and avariciously forgetting about it. Mary finds deep Leng to be hot and humid and wilts a little but stays standing as elsewhere Dexter and Anna debate whether or not to kill the Serpent People at the Bus Station in Innsmouth before they enter the vortex and trigger another Servant smackdown, possibly the clue Servant. She convinces him there will be plenty of time before it reanimates, and so the deed is done with a Dread Curse while avoiding the dangling webbed arm of the law.
Dire Portents Abound – Act One comes to pass. The Woods surge, delivering a crammed Arkham and Outskirts. The worst of the scrambling of monsters is that the Wraith and the Star Spawn stalk Zoey just as she feared.  The best is that killing the Serpent was oh so very, very wise.

T8) Upkeep: The Darkness fully embraces her and Wendy gets two more Madnesses  - Panic and Hysteria - in the Church!! I KNEW it! But then, running from this horror, she is met by the congregation…”YOU! You are the one who has stood against the evil that plagues this town! We are all so grateful!” Wow, Arkham, sick and disturbingly real, then sweet; I’m disturbed. She gains 2 San as the crowds surround her. Jacqueline finally closes the hole to R’lyeh, nursing the 4th seal over it and banishing the Spawn, and Zoey meets Dexter and Anna at the Station after evading the Spawn and the Wraith. It is Mary however who seizes the slip up made by The Darkness in turn 6 and 7, returning from Leng and sealing the Woods, so claiming a surprise victory through all gates being closed, each investigator having 1 gate trophy.

THE RESULT

The Darkness is unexpectedly rebuffed with 5 seals at Doom 9, Terror 1. The score is 23.

Not sure I will get to use any of these again, but for the record:

Dexter: Library Use, One of a Thousand membership, Healing Stone, Shrivelling, Crystal of the Elder Things, Press Pass, Illuminated Manuscript, Necronomicon, Anna Kaslow, Library Use (Claustrophobic)

Zoey: Speed, Knife, Cross, Enchanted Knife

Wendy: Mythos Lore (Narcolepsy, Necrophobia, Hysteria, Panic)

Jacqueline: .45 Revolver, Wither, Storm of Spirits, Enchanted Jeweller, Hide (Nightmarish Visions, Speak to your Friend, Primal Surge)

Mary: Mists of Releh, Axe, Holy Water, Cross, Sneak.

Thanks for listening and in this way being there with me in the game thanks to this strange and many angled room! And thanks again Avi and Julia, I am ready for the main event now that what I assume is the trial by fire warm-up is complete!

• Julia likes this

#95 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,434 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

Well done DJ! Indeed, the first segment (apart from Scenario 2) was just a mere warm-up, things should start getting more and more interesting from Scenario 6! But nonetheless, even in the warm-up segment you showed great skill and competence, I'm so happy you passed them all :-)

Now I have to rush to dinner, but I'll read your chronicle later, with some calm!

• dj2.0 likes this

#96 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

@Julia, the hard mode of the first five is *not* a warm up. They're intended to be bloody difficult :')

@ DJ I haven't finished reading this yet, but two things so far, the line about the diary got 5+ seconds of laughter from me, also, you're using the MH Act mechanics O_o;;...  Okay.  Just make sure not to do that for scenarios that have Act related mechanics that were designed pre-MH.

• Julia likes this

#97 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,434 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

@Julia, the hard mode of the first five is *not* a warm up. They're intended to be bloody difficult :')

:yawn: :P :P :P :P

• Avi_dreader likes this

#98 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Wendy's story in the church also got me laughing.

Hmmmm...  I noticed in a way hard mode is harder for you, since you don't have an idea of what to expect (from playing it on easy mode). (I.e. you could have lvled up Dexter in a prior scenario :') or passed on Norman's find gate to another investigator).

#99 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

They are bloody difficult! Honest! I find myself having to evaluate every decision carefully. Strategically, the games are enormously challenging, and that's fun. My flippant comment about warm ups was just me mentally pacing myself given that I know there are 20 odd games in front of me.
These games *really* amuse me. I am glad my weird tales amuse you back a bit. Yes I will revert to old Acts when the time comes, I had thought of that too, figuring you would definitely be using the original ones. And yeah it is harder going in blind of course, but more of a 'live' experience. I do think of things like passing items on so they follow through and passing Dexs story did cross my mind - hence the cash - but time and movement are the problems there.
Thanks for the encouragement Julia! I hope I can continue to beat things back this way a little while longer at least. This week however its time to hopefully finally fix the computer situation I mentioned, so Arkham is being moved to whenever I can next grab the time next week.

Edited by dj2.0, 07 September 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#100 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

They are bloody difficult! Honest! I find myself having to evaluate every decision carefully. Strategically, the games are enormously challenging, and that's fun. My flippant comment about warm ups was just me mentally pacing myself given that I know there are 20 odd games in front of me.
These games *really* amuse me. I am glad my weird tales amuse you back a bit. Yes I will revert to old Acts when the time comes, I had thought of that too, figuring you would definitely be using the original ones. And yeah it is harder going in blind of course, but more of a 'live' experience. I do think of things like passing items on so they follow through and passing Dexs story did cross my mind - hence the cash - but time and movement are the problems there.
Thanks for the encouragement Julia! I hope I can continue to beat things back this way a little while longer at least. This week however its time to hopefully finally fix the computer situation I mentioned, so Arkham is being moved to whenever I can next grab the time next week.

Well, I'll be eagerly awaiting the next installment of your epic (and epically amusing) adventures :'D

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS