My fun with the Arkham Horror League

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#61 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:16 AM

I think I would put Institutions above Items and below Mythos card effects. The overall point is to give the mythos priority, and some Guardians have intentionally deleterious effects, unlike Institutions.

I dont have a list of conflicts though, so I cant back this up with good examples sadly, maybe we could test it out against some of the questions that do come up in future as they arise?

Edited by dj2.0, 14 August 2013 - 03:18 AM.

#62 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

Hi guys, based on my teeny experience I would agree that EG could be beefed up, at least for scenario 3. But I will take these comments to the other thread, along with some questions.

One of the questions though I would like to put out there to this community now, along with a suggestion. I know that Arkham is a tangled web, a very case by case basis in a lot of ways, especially in the grey areas where we are still lacking clear official rulings. And we have a lot of custom made material now  which makes more room for grey areas. Do you guys think it would be possible to hack out and agree upon  a hierarchy of priorities for such situations, something like this:

Where there is an unresolved rules conflict:

Ancient One effects generally take priority over Herald card effects

AO & Herald card effects generally take priority over Guardian card effects

AO, Herald & Guardian card effects generally take priority over Mythos card effects

AO, Herald, Guardian & Mythos card effects generally take priority over Item effects

etc.

Perhaps this kind of thing is really best left to house rulings, but maybe we could also reach some kind of consensus that will help us be more consistent and provide a framework for answering questions in the community?

Mmmm...  I feel like generally when there's a problem with custom content, it's that a designer didn't think of something.

As for the difficulty level, in retrospect for the hard mode, I should probably make Witches be treated as spawn monsters that can only be claimed by combat.  I should also force redraws of that one red corruption card ;') I have a feeling that it made your game a liiiiittle easier.  But.  On the other hand, I'm okay with one scenario being a little easier, I don't want to do any redesigns.  Other players are free to suggest a redesign and if I think it's balanced (still allows investigators a decent chance of winning scenario 3, I'll consider just copy pasting it over the current scenario 3 text).

#63 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

Problem is that often in these Scenarios you have a very difficult monster to deal with / a difficult initial situation. After you passed this problems, the game is kinda easy. Wanna have something nasty? "Every time an investigator succesfully closes a gate, he gains the top red corruption card", and then leave the Scenario as it is :devil:

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#64 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Problem is that often in these Scenarios you have a very difficult monster to deal with / a difficult initial situation. After you passed this problems, the game is kinda easy. Wanna have something nasty? "Every time an investigator succesfully closes a gate, he gains the top red corruption card", and then leave the Scenario as it is :devil:

::Laughter::

True.  Often if you can get past the initial hurdle, you can get by the scenarios.  (Which is one of the reason why I liked the trigger concept, brings up a lot of tension in the later game too).

But actually, every time an investigator closes a gate they draw a corruption card would be an interesting game mechanic.

Edited by Avi_dreader, 15 August 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#65 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

But actually, every time an investigator closes a gate they draw a corruption card would be an interesting game mechanic.

I'm gonna Herald this :-)

• Avi_dreader likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#66 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:54 AM

Well...I passed yesterday the 3rd scenario.  It was a breeze, but I needed an easy&funny scenario after the second one. 

I did not play it EG version. I guess I could have done it...but I decided since I started in normal mode, I will continue this league like that and if I am not driven insane when I finish, I might attempt hardcore mode after some holidays in "The dreamlands" :-).

I totally agree with Julia. I definitely want to try this game mechanic.

"Every time an investigator succesfully closes a gate, he gains the top red corruption card", and then leave the Scenario as it is :devil:

Maybe It could also be added "Upkeep: the first player rolls a die. On a 1 draw a corruption" or "Upkeep: the first player makes a Lore(-1) check. On a failure draw a corruption".  Then there will be even more corruptions. There were too few corruptions in my game :-(.

As for the scenario, I won in 10 turns, 10 doomers, Terror level 2.

Mary killed the witch on the first turn and got Vessel of Mythos Corruption and of course white hexes were moving on the next 2 mythos cards adding extra doom tokens. End of turn 2 there were 6 doom tokens on the doom track. I was lucky gathering clue tokens thanks to Jacquie's spell "Revelation of script" and "Press pass" and coz she had the gatebox, she could gatedive anywhere . I also got  lucky encounters awarding her even more clues to cancel nasty mythos.

Mary got 3 extra green corruptions from the black man...but Norman removed 2 of them. Apart from that it was a fast game without a big thread apart from the doom track in the beginning. The familiar only nuzzled three times and It didn't cause much trouble...only a couple of injuries/madnesses.

For the next scenario I carry over:

Norman : Press pass

William : Tommy gun

Jacqueline: Gatebox

Wendy: Carbine Rifle.

I have a question:  I treated Darkdruids/ChildofGoat,... as cultists in the last scenario. I have just read the next scenario. If I draw them,  will they also be treated as night werewolves, ?I guess so, am I right? 

The scenario looks fun and I love the thematics...first vampires, then witches and after werewolves...I guess the spiders will come at some point, won't they? :-)

Edited by eagermind, 16 August 2013 - 03:22 AM.

“From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.” 
― H.P. LovecraftTales of H. P. Lovecraft

#67 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'm gonna Herald this :-)

I was hoping you would when I said that :')

Also, it could be two corruption cards.

And/or there could be some game mechanism for distributing red corruptions.  Perhaps whenever an investigator goes insane?  Or fails a horror check, heh heh heh...

Edited by Avi_dreader, 16 August 2013 - 08:51 AM.

#68 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

Well...I passed yesterday the 3rd scenario.  It was a breeze, but I needed an easy&funny scenario after the second one. 

I did not play it EG version. I guess I could have done it...but I decided since I started in normal mode, I will continue this league like that and if I am not driven insane when I finish, I might attempt hardcore mode after some holidays in "The dreamlands" :-).

I totally agree with Julia. I definitely want to try this game mechanic.

"Every time an investigator succesfully closes a gate, he gains the top red corruption card", and then leave the Scenario as it is :devil:

Maybe It could also be added "Upkeep: the first player rolls a die. On a 1 draw a corruption" or "Upkeep: the first player makes a Lore(-1) check. On a failure draw a corruption".  Then there will be even more corruptions. There were too few corruptions in my game :-(.

As for the scenario, I won in 10 turns, 10 doomers, Terror level 2.

Mary killed the witch on the first turn and got Vessel of Mythos Corruption and of course white hexes were moving on the next 2 mythos cards adding extra doom tokens. End of turn 2 there were 6 doom tokens on the doom track. I was lucky gathering clue tokens thanks to Jacquie's spell "Revelation of script" and "Press pass" and coz she had the gatebox, she could gatedive anywhere . I also got  lucky encounters awarding her even more clues to cancel nasty mythos.

Mary got 3 extra green corruptions from the black man...but Norman removed 2 of them. Apart from that it was a fast game without a big thread apart from the doom track in the beginning. The familiar only nuzzled three times and It didn't cause much trouble...only a couple of injuries/madnesses.

For the next scenario I carry over:

Norman : Press pass

William : Tommy gun

Jacqueline: Gatebox

Wendy: Carbine Rifle.

I have a question:  I treated Darkdruids/ChildofGoat,... as cultists in the last scenario. I have just read the next scenario. If I draw them,  will they also be treated as night werewolves, ?I guess so, am I right? 

The scenario looks fun and I love the thematics...first vampires, then witches and after werewolves...I guess the spiders will come at some point, won't they? :-)

Yes.  They will also be treated as werewolves :'D

Actually, the spiders belong to the second scenario segment (more animal-like enemies).

The third is Nyarlathotep's.

The fourth is...  Well, you'll see :')

• eagermind likes this

#69 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

If you are finding the league as is too easy, I'd recommend just bumping off one of your investigators.  You're playing how many?  (If you're playing four, don't go below that, probably).

#70 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hi guys, thanks for feedback. Sorry, midsummer week-end here, I'm alone in the shop and finding time to stay on the net it's just crazy. So:

@ Avi: sorry, I'll answer the e-mails tomorrow night / sunday. Some more patience

Corruption Herald: aye, a good mechanic triggering nefarious things is certainly needed. I want this guy to be nasty but without rolling dice to see if you're lucky or not. So no rolls during Upkeep. For sure, investigators with corruptions won't be allowed to retire. Let's see. Still have to finish two Heralds before this one (well, they are done, I need some good art, which means time to scan some CoC LCG cards). I'm thinking about some nasty triggers related to trophies or equipment. Need to carefully think about this because corruptions can make the game end very, very, very badly

• eagermind likes this

#71 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:59 AM

If you are finding the league as is too easy, I'd recommend just bumping off one of your investigators.  You're playing how many?  (If you're playing four, don't go below that, probably).

Thanks avi for your answers :-). I am playing always 5 investigators and I am fine with it for now. Even though some scenarios might be easier, it does not mean they are boring...not at all :-). I hope I can play 4th scenario tomorrow... I am really impatient to see what it is coming next :-). 

• Avi_dreader and Julia like this

#72 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

eagermind, would you please start a new thread for your next games, I would like this thread to be spoiler free so I can continue reading it in a relaxed state. Currently I am at scenario 4, but you will soon overtake me. Thanks :)

Edited by dj2.0, 19 August 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#73 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

Sure no problem. I won't post here anymore :-)

#74 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

eagermind, would you please start a new thread for your next games, I would like this thread to be spoiler free so I can continue reading it in a relaxed state. Currently I am at scenario 4, but you will soon overtake me. Thanks :)

::Laughter:: now I will have to subscribe to a second thread :'D

• dj2.0 likes this

#75 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

Thanks avi for your answers :-). I am playing always 5 investigators and I am fine with it for now. Even though some scenarios might be easier, it does not mean they are boring...not at all :-). I hope I can play 4th scenario tomorrow... I am really impatient to see what it is coming next :-). 

And I am impatient to hear about your triumph or terror and whether you enjoyed or did not enjoy scenario 5 :')  Good luck!

I'll keep my eyes open for your new thread or better yet, just link to it from here :') so everyone here but DJ can find it.

Edited by Avi_dreader, 20 August 2013 - 12:39 PM.

• eagermind likes this

#76 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

One thread became two, two became four...and slowly, but surely, they drew him back out of the Stygian shadows and into the inexorable tentacular embrace of the Great Old Ones again...was there to be no escape from the gibbous eye of Cthulhu?

Edited by dj2.0, 20 August 2013 - 12:46 PM.

• Avi_dreader likes this

#77 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

We are all doomed, Dj, you know this, right? :)

• dj2.0 likes this

#78 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:16 AM

Yep :-) how else could it be? The world's are colliding, a thousand Arkhams converging in time and space...on my apartment. Reality cannot take much more strain, especially given the washing up in the kitchen from last night...and most of what stands between now and the end is in the hands of a little homeless girl and a catholic nun. Doomed to the power of 13.
So, i finally nailed my epic project - over 250,000 words - on Thursday afternoon. That means I have more free time remaining for August, before work on another epic volume begins in Sep. Soooo...AH fan league time :-) :-) :-)
  • Avi_dreader likes this

#79 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yep :-) how else could it be? The world's are colliding, a thousand Arkhams converging in time and space...on my apartment. Reality cannot take much more strain, especially given the washing up in the kitchen from last night...and most of what stands between now and the end is in the hands of a little homeless girl and a catholic nun. Doomed to the power of 13.
So, i finally nailed my epic project - over 250,000 words - on Thursday afternoon. That means I have more free time remaining for August, before work on another epic volume begins in Sep. Soooo...AH fan league time :-) :-) :-)

Technically it's infinite Arkhams :')

• dj2.0 likes this

#80 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

So, i finally nailed my epic project - over 250,000 words - on Thursday afternoon.

Sounds like a book was finished :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS