My fun with the Arkham Horror League

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#41 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

Thanks Dj for putting this league back on my radar after reading your reports. It had been on my "To do list" for many months and finally I decided it was time to dive into it and check how insane it was  :).  

I did the first scenario last weekend and after completing the second one just some minutes ago...I am definitely convinced that it is for me  ;) .  

Looking forward to read your 3rd scenario report and I hope your luck doesn't abandon you.

Thanks also to Julia & Avi  for making  this sweet  nightmare possible

• dj2.0 and Julia like this

“From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.” 
― H.P. LovecraftTales of H. P. Lovecraft

#42 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

You played the first two Scenarios? And passed them both? That's great dude!

May I ask you what investigators you played? and what items are you carryin' over to Scenario 3?

Glad you had a good time :)

• eagermind likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#43 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

Thanks Julia for your interest :-)

I played both scenarios with the same investigators: Sister Mary, William, Wendy, Carolyn and Jacqueline. 

The first scenario was not that complicated.  I sent the rich girls C&J shopping and they bought good items in preparation for the second scenario. I was lucky with some Mythos cards like the one preventing flying monsters movement (Dracula did not move from the sky for 4 turns and did not attack anyone- Wendy countered him once on the street) .

The second scenario was another thing. It started pretty good with William drawing a Tommy gun and an elder sign (that Mary took form his hand) as starting equipment. After dealing with all the initial servants&cultists, I had extremely bad luck in the other worlds. Wendy was LiTaS twice and William once due to ill fated encounters in the other worlds. Mythos environment Mirages of Lakes hit the table to slow down  things even more. It was replaced after 3 turns for  KiY "Rash of Graffiti" to make closing gates more difficult. I failed the "Mad bomber" rumour,crippling everyone.  But finally I won in 16 turns.

well, for the next scenario Mary will keep her Rifle or maybe a wither spell, Jacqueline could be a shotgun or a healing stone or a gatebox (probably the last one. It helped me a lot in the second scenario). Wendy is empty handed L. I should have gathered Wendy with the other girls before the end in order to exchange items, but .....

And now I have a dilemma. Do I prefer William with a Tommy gun or Carolyn with a Cursed sphere or Necronomicon? I have to make space for Norman.

I haven’t read the next scenario yet, then I do not know if I need more muscle or more female treachery :) . We'll see.

I can’t decide now. I am still celebrating my victory over the 2nd scenario.

Edited by eagermind, 10 August 2013 - 01:11 PM.

#44 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

And you're absolutely right! Cheers loudly and celebrate your victory!

And good catch forcing Dracula to stay in the Sky for a while :)

Good luck with the third one!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#45 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

Thanks Dj for putting this league back on my radar after reading your reports. It had been on my "To do list" for many months and finally I decided it was time to dive into it and check how insane it was  :).  

I did the first scenario last weekend and after completing the second one just some minutes ago...I am definitely convinced that it is for me  ;) .  

Looking forward to read your 3rd scenario report and I hope your luck doesn't abandon you.

Congrats on your first two wins.  Technically you should also be thanking everyone whose content was used ;')

Also, just a note, someone remind me to change the Atlach Hard Mode rules (it needs to be that when investigators can potentially seal or close a final turn Arkham Encounters can be done in any order— otherwise that will be insanely difficult to time— I want it to be hard, not borderline impossible making final combat a *much* better idea for winning chances).

;') By someone, I mean Julia copy paste this to me in a letter when you see this? ;'D ::Laughter:: 

Edited by Avi_dreader, 10 August 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#46 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

I played both scenarios with the same investigators: Sister Mary, William, Wendy, Carolyn and Jacqueline. 

The first scenario was not that complicated.  I sent the rich girls C&J shopping and they bought good items in preparation for the second scenario. I was lucky with some Mythos cards like the one preventing flying monsters movement (Dracula did not move from the sky for 4 turns and did not attack anyone- Wendy countered him once on the street) .

The second scenario was another thing. It started pretty good with William drawing a Tommy gun and an elder sign (that Mary took form his hand) as starting equipment. After dealing with all the initial servants&cultists, I had extremely bad luck in the other worlds. Wendy was LiTaS twice and William once due to ill fated encounters in the other worlds. Mythos environment Mirages of Lakes hit the table to slow down  things even more. It was replaced after 3 turns for  KiY "Rash of Graffiti" to make closing gates more difficult. I failed the "Mad bomber" rumour,crippling everyone.  But finally I won in 16 turns.

well, for the next scenario Mary will keep her Rifle or maybe a wither spell, Jacqueline could be a shotgun or a healing stone or a gatebox (probably the last one. It helped me a lot in the second scenario). Wendy is empty handed L. I should have gathered Wendy with the other girls before the end in order to exchange items, but .....

And now I have a dilemma. Do I prefer William with a Tommy gun or Carolyn with a Cursed sphere or Necronomicon? I have to make space for Norman.

I haven’t read the next scenario yet, then I do not know if I need more muscle or more female treachery :) . We'll see.

Yeah.  I designed scenario one to be quite easy (just so people could gear up for the second scenario), although in retrospect, it's *too* easy.  I might have overdone it because Dracula was landing from the sky A LOT in my game— then again, maybe I got unlucky with that and you guys got lucky, who knows ;')  I think that anyone capable of handling this league could manage it on hard mode (and would enjoy it a lot more that way).  Sometimes I wish I changed the hard mode version of scenario one to the basic mode and made hard mode even harder :'P ;'D  Anyway...  If you want to actually have a fun challenge with scenario 1, I'd say retry it with the investigators, or even a random team of investigators.  It'll just be a tough fun fight.

Wendy's definitely Dracula's achilles heel ;') which is why the scenario can play out quiiiiite differently with random investigators.  No Wendy, no Mary, no Yorrick, no curse shields :')

Edited by Avi_dreader, 10 August 2013 - 10:18 PM.

#47 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

Oh, we're both interested, we've been waiting a long time for other players to get into this :'D

Teeeeechnically you're not supposed to read future scenario text until after you choose your carry over items ;') but you're also allowed to go back to previous scenarios if you *really* screwed up on item selection so that you can repick afterward.  I sort of hope you don't ruin all your pleasantly unpleasant surprises ;') Although to be honest, the second scenario is the cruelest surprise in terms of game mechanics.  I never quite screw over investigators like that again.  Well, not with surprises anyway :'D

Edited by Avi_dreader, 10 August 2013 - 10:23 PM.

• Julia and eagermind like this

#48 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

At first I was wondering why cursed sphere, then I realized she has sanity healing :')

#49 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

Teeeeechnically you're not supposed to read future scenario text until after you choose your carry over items ;')

Oops... I did not know it. I will do it from now on. It makes sense and I guess it is more exciting :-).

So before I check the next scenario- Line up for 3rd scenario is going to be:

Mary - Rifle (instead of her cross)

Jackie - Gatebox (instead of  enchanted jewelry)

William- Tommygun

Wendy- 

Norman-

and now I can take a peek on the next AO...Hecate...wow..she looks disturbingly sexy ?! Oh Corruptions..yes I love them :-)

#50 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

Teeeeechnically you're not supposed to read future scenario text until after you choose your carry over items ;')

Oops... I did not know it. I will do it from now on. It makes sense and I guess it is more exciting :-).

So before I check the next scenario- Line up for 3rd scenario is going to be:

Mary - Rifle (instead of her cross)

Jackie - Gatebox (instead of  enchanted jewelry)

William- Tommygun

Wendy- 

Norman-

and now I can take a peek on the next AO...Hecate...wow..she looks disturbingly sexy ?! Oh Corruptions..yes I love them :-)

Interesting that you're chucking a cross (that was actually always my favorite part of Mary's starting items).

On an unrelated note, try not to get too corrupted ;'D

Edited by Avi_dreader, 11 August 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#51 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

III. Rivalries of the Gods (or, ‘Holy Heart Attack, Batman!’)

Will there be no end to this sanity rending tome of reports on the increasing strangeness unfolding in already fabled Arkham..? Less than a week after Sister Mary and co. send Glaaki slithering back to the bottom of the Glen they are confronted with a sudden upsurge in paganism…

What you need to know

This is scenario 3 of the fan league and after my last 2 games went smoothly I ramped up the difficulty to Avis new ‘Elder God’ difficulty. I think he might be running out of cosmic titles if he wants to make it any harder, so he is probably going to start retroactively converting the normal scenarios into their EG versions. So I figured this would be a good test of this scenario at EG level.

Ancient One: Hecate
Queen of the Witches Sabbath, Hecate requires complex and time consuming rituals to call forth (Doom 13) but makes gates that open at the Witch House unsealable. She breathes a noxious curse over the entire game that makes it necessary for investigators to push their luck harder (an extra success on all Luck checks) and this really hurts in the game, you may as well forget about Luck and focus on Lore instead. If investigators lose their minds, they will need that Lore to avoid going to Yuggoth and encountering there before they find their way to the Asylum, and if they lose sanity in that encounter the loss is permanent brain damage (loss of max San instead). Her cultists stalk the investigation and the members are particularly loathsome to look upon (-2 Horror, 2 damage). Worse, if a Yuggoth gate is open investigators have to wilfully resist being drawn there for their first two movements (Will -1). I wasn’t sure how this would interact with Mythos cards that restrict movement like the impassable roads from my last game, - should Mythos card effects take precedence over Ancient One effects? - but I figured I’d worry about that if it came up.

So that’s my foe. She has help.

Herald: Brown Jenkin
BJ vs. dj and BJ is very nasty. He comes with The Black Man who pops up in front of the First Player as ‘a monster appears!’ whenever Arkham is terrorized. If you fail the Luck check he calls for its goodbye to you, but if you only get 1 success (remember that extra Luck difficulty?) then the Scenario rules (below) have a surprise for you. So with this ploy the option of setting Lore to max becomes less attractive and pretty darn dangerous. What else? Well, gates opening on the Witch House add 2 doom, and surges there add a doom and double the number of monsters. It’s A Very Bad Place and of course it cannot be sealed. Monsters appearing there in the Mythos phase will always involve a Witch or Rat Thing, unless there are none, leading the surge. Witches have 2 toughness, are immune to magic, horrific to encounter (Horror -3, 4 damage) and also move like Earth based monsters (crescents) as well as Carcosan and Yuggoth entities (circles).
BJ is not done yet. He likes to nuzzle up to you at night, and so in the morning (Upkeep) you roll a die and if you get a 1 or 2, anyone in a stable location has had strange dreams and lost a sanity, anyone in unstable locations has met with a rat infestation and been gnawed loose 1 stamina, and the Terror increases by 1 for every investigator in the French Hill area.

Scenario rules at Elder God: Here is where it gets more tricky and the above starts to really look sore for the team. I must use Sister Mary, Jacqueline Fine and Norman Wiithers and Normans ability can remove corruptions. This is important for two reasons a) if the Luck test against the Black Man fails, it gives the investigator 3 Corruption (and gain no clues). b) if any investigator moves adjacent to a Witch or vice versa, they gain 1 Corruption. If they actually have the temerity to attack a Witch, they get a red Corruption. Witches are buffed with 3 additional toughness, bringing it to 5 with the BJ buff, they are made Endless, are not affected by closing gates, never count towards the limit and turn up at the Witch House if placed in the Outskirts. If Hecate awakens, she gains 2 Doom for every Corruption in play. And the final kicker is that you ignore the instructions pertaining to the first gate and instead put a Yuggoth gate on the Witch House, (which will if course start you with 2 Doom and call for Will checks on the very first turn and every turn it remains open just to get anywhere).
Additionally, cultists have some considerable additional buff too: before I make a combat check against a Cultist, I must discard two items or automatically fail. For Night Nuzzling with BJ, each time I roll a 1-2 I place a random Cultist from the cup at the Witch House. I treat Cultists as spawn that can be in the cup and return to the cup if defeated and if they are placed in the Outskirts, I place them in the Witch House instead.
Finally, I only get to move over 2 items from my last game – I chose the carbine rifle and the press pass – and Mary automatically fails her personal story when the Doom Track reaches four. If she passes it, it only allows her to reroll dice for herself and if she is devoured before the doom track is at 6, I lose.

All this turns out to not only be tough to beat but tough to play, as remembering it all is going to be hard and so I decide to take this game slowly. I perhaps should have made a sheet which summarised all these effects together. I read the whole thing over a few times before starting and kept referring to it throughout, and I don’t think I forgot anything.

So how did I do..? Well, I was born on Samhain and so I was not at all intimidated by this armada of witchery, it was an integral part of every birthday of my long and winding life. In fact, setting up the game was almost like laying the dinner table for guests. I intended not to be the main course, and to ensure that possibility did not occur I decided to enlist the aid of 5 investigators:

SETUP

Sister Mary came with her usual gear plus the carbine rifle from her last game. She had read up on Egyptology for this inquisition and came equipped with the Book of the Dead, which was handy as it would let her claim the Witches as trophies. Burn The Heathens!!!

William Yorrick: Drew a nice 6 toughness of trophies again a rifle and telescope, the Silver Key, the Blue Watcher of the Pyramid and the awesome Endurance skill. I really like William, he always seems to come well kitted.

Norman Withers: Walked up in Disguise with an Enchanted Cane, muttering about the secrets of Astral Travel with a Time Bomb strapped under his vest and the usual quick ways to get back to planet Earth. I was very content and happy with this too, it gave me some much needed wiggle room for him should the plans I had go curvy.

Jacqueline Fine: Was actually an Athame wielding, Isis Marked Initiate, Shrouded in Shadow. I found this really interesting as it was blatantly thematic and seemed to be an invitation to explore parts of the game long gathering dust. Since I do not look at cards until they arrive in play, this excited me.

Wendy Adams: Good old Wendy had the Elder Sign as usual and the Press Pass brought forward from the last game and she came equipped with a sharp eye (Spot Hidden) that would help her with those dreadful Luck checks. So long as she scored 1 success and had not exhausted her skill, she would be able to spot the Black Man hiding in wait for her…This gave me an idea – explore the French Hill when it is Wendys turn, and try to arrange it that she is in the streets too. That way I could evade the Black Man a little more.

Setup: Doom rises to 2 as a gate to Yuggoth opens at the Witch House and the Witch responsible moves into the streets, creating a major corruption fissure on the board immediately. The gate that wanted to open was a burst at the Refinery, so I note that for later as it means a sealed Refinery is slightly less likely to crumble. The Mythos is telling me that Someone’s Watching Me, (luckily not a mystic environment, as I am using MH Act mechanics) and I feel the Blessing of the forumites hovering over the room…ok, lets do this guys…

The gist of all this is that at the beginning of the game I have a big problem that needs shutting down quickly, just as in the last game. I need to eliminate the Witch before the entire team falls to corruption just from gathering clues, and I have to close that gate to Yuggoth before anything really bad spews out of it and the team are sucked into a vortex I cannot stop. Norman will be especially badly done in if I make a horrible botch as he will take 2 steps forwards to Yuggoth and one step back each turn. I have been aware of that beforehand and have set my team up in a certain order to maximise my chances of being able to achieve both objectives by turn 2. This was done before handing out equipment – my decision was mostly about who could reach the Witch House on turn 1 and be capable of dealing with the Witch so that Norman could launch himself to Yuggoth and promptly return.
The problem is the Witch is no pushover; she is a (Horror -3, 4 damage), magically immune (Combat -3/2 damage) FIVE toughness super-biiiiyaaatch!!!
Oh my.
There is only one thing for it, and that’s to throw the Sister From Hell at her. Of course, that means leaving people in the French Hill area on the first turn…an open invitation to meet the mask.

THE MATCH

T1) As Mary leaves the Church she grabs the Blue Watcher from William but on the way through the streets to French Hill she catches a whiff of corruption as she thinks jealously of Jacqueline’s jewellery as well…Endless Greed sets in. This greediness she has could now get bad, but she needs the cash. She used to have a Vatican approved credit rating for heavens sake! Facing the Witch she completely flunks her horror check and loses 4 sanity, then, dangerously wobbling on the edge of reality, she attacks the witch and becomes further corrupted by the whims of Fate and Fortune…now that is very interesting as now if the square shows up on white, Mary will lose her Blessing, but everyone else will be Blessed, meaning both William and Mary will pass their PS, and Mary will be re-Blessed. The entire team Blessed and two PS passed by a red corruption if the white square shows up!! Wow - Arkham is so amazingly surprising.
Now, a Blessed Mary wielding a carbine rifle and with her full Fight face on still needs to roll 5 successes on 5 dice to take this minx down, and the odds on that are not good. So Mary throws the Blue Watcher at her and is pan fried in the backlash, dropping to 1 stamina, but the Witch is history and Mary opens the Book of the Dead and sucks her soul into it. Mary will make sure she stays there, trapped in its arcane pages. The streets are now clear, but Mary is shriven. William heads off to the Woods where he meets an old hermit who gives him 4 clues but this delays him. Norman passes Mary on the way to the Witch House, heads through the gate to Yuggoth and there has to call on his clues to avoid having the mi-go draw 2 clues out of his brain juices and send him to the Hospital. At the Unnameable Jacqueline meets Erich Colt listening to music coming from an obviously dead radio, she rescues him from this and gathers 3 clues from the gibbering story he tells her. Sadly she could not find him in the ally deck. Wendy is up to her usual tricks at Independence Square, gathering her first clues there. As she walks along Peabody Avenue she encounters a cosmic silence as she passes under an archway, and is almost cursed and thrown through the Yuggoth gate - her Spot Hidden saves her little bacon. The evil bite of Hecates Luck curse almost takes its first chunk out of the team spirit.
A gate to Unknown Kadath appears at the Woods, bringing Doom 3, drawing the delayed William through and issuing a Proto Shoggoth – the ‘old man’ was a shoggoth trap, but at least I took his clues first. Nothing moves and Mary does not feel compelled to act on her greed nor her dilemma concerning fate and fortune. What happened to God? Her faith seems to be wavering as much as her mind and body. The feeling of someone watching over me is replaced by a carnival atmosphere as The Festival begins. Shame, the better environment only needed to last one more turn for Norman to claim a Blessing from it.

T2) William wakes up to find himself in Kadath in a cave where the ground is littered with pages of a script which contains him as a principle character. He chooses to follow the script, unhinging his mind a bit in the process, but finds himself back in Arkham. Norman uses his magic to find the way back to Arkham too, and he closes the gate to Yuggoth, releasing William from the Proto-Shoggoth. Things go awry a bit when Jacqueline heads to the Graveyard and a gate to Leng appears with a Cthonian (Doom 4, and Mary fails her PS). Delayed, Jacqueline could have picked up some useful items but the Luck penalties are too severe. Wendy goes to Dunwich where she spots a Rail Pass on Bishops Brook Bridge and Mary hobbles to the Hospital for life saving treatment - the poor girl has no money, but the attention she gets is enough to get her on her feet again.
High Tides bring a horrible surge at the Woods – a Fire Vampire and a Ghoul rise up against William, and a Gug and a Cultist mow await Jacqueline alongside the Cthonian. Nobody drowns though, and I almost trigger Marys Fate and Fortune combo – I got a black square. Grrr. Doom is still 4.

T3) Still no nuzzling from Brown Jenkin; he seems sleepy at this point, and Mary holds onto her faith for now despite grappling with existential questions and materialistic urges. Norman heads to the Historical Society to gather 2 clues and meet with Cindi Fleming, who for some reason wants to take him to the caves, but I suspect this is a ploy to trap him there and refuse. Jacqueline meets strange inhabitants of Leng who want her Athame, she refuses and they beat her senseless, but through an act of will she forces them to hand over an Obsidian Statue. At Wizards Hill Wendy has to call on her spot hidden skills again to avoid disturbing the Dunwich Horror – again, this being the third time in a row – and Sister Mary decides it is time to call on her own skills for the night and goes in search of whispers about lost exhibit items in the Miskatonic area. There she sees a crazed woman trying to actually burn an ancient Egyptian mask, and she saves it from destruction. Mary puts it on. It is the Mask of Vice, and suddenly all her dreams of avarice are realisable. (This is the first time I have seen what is on this card. I was shocked and immediately tempted to use it, just like Mary was). William extinguishes the Fire Vampire with his bare hands -!! – and takes down the Ghoul with his Rifle, sealing the Woods by literally fighting his way out of the situation. Seal 1 arrives at a very dodgy location…but it’s a step to victory, and I have Jacqueline with clues to stave off any disasters.
Mythos this turn is Missing People Return, which does not touch anyone but elevates Doom to 5. A gate to the Abyss opens at the Unnameable (that strange music of Colts perhaps?) and a Serpent Person appears as William stumbles on a clue. The Gug moves into Rivertown, the Cthonian quivers but does not shake, and Mary gets a Primal Surge as her greediness kicks in, netting her a stolen 4 dollars, but turning her into a cult conversion machine with the Speak to your Friend corruption…oh, Mary…

T4) Well, I almost had a run in with BJ and the Black Man, but the forumites held them at bay again! Thanks guys! Pressing deeper into Leng, Jacqueline somehow finds fresh water and is lightly refreshed but delayed there. Undaunted by the horror that seems to shadow her, Wendy heads to the Glen and similarly sits by a creek soothed but lacking in the Will she needs to find herself Blessed by life. But with the Press Pass she has picked up 2 further clues from around the area. ‘Sister’ Mary heads to the Curiosity Shop, Mask of Vice in hand, seeking an Elder Sign but instead plundering the (no, THE) Healing Stone, an item I have seen maybe 4 times including this one. I am beginning to see things Marys way, and wondering if the Mask is actually broken. I decide later it isn't. William heads to the Science Building, discussing his brief experience in the cave in Kadath with the learned gentlemen there, gaining a total of 3 clues during the visit. Norman gambles on a terribly risky visit to gather the clues at the Silver Twilight and is rudely knocked aside by Ruby Standish as she flees some monstrous pursuer.
The skies darken, bringing an end to The Festival but not triggering the Overture of that awful play. A Warlock opens a gate to Another Time at the Whately Farm, clues appear at the Hopyard and the Cultist at the Graveyard joins the Gug in Rivertown. Doom reaches 6, and I have 1 seal. Thanks to Dark Skies the stalkers are now moving normally and I can sneak around more easily, but seeing to Fight has become more challenging.

T5) Again, Upkeep is quiet as I dodge the familiar. Wendy robs the Hopyard of 3 clues with her pass and bumps into Zebulon Whately picking through fungus, but she has no spell to impress him with. Mary is now nicely healing up and turns to vice again, oh, such a bad girl, but that Elder Sign is still out there, she does however find the Carcosan Page, and that could be a game changer for the investigators. Now she can ferry the Find Gate Spell and the Healing Stone around. William moves over to the Unvisited Isle and encounters a vampire attacking a huddled figure, He bravely slaughters it from a very long distance away using his rifle and with the help of some endurance and then approaches the figure to find it is Asenath Waite. She takes a shine to him and the two of them join up. Norman holes up in the Library and then astrally projects himself to Another Time. In the time vortex magic manipulates his environment in unpredictable ways but his small degree of spell knowledge prevents him being lost in time and space thanks to this weirdism. Jacqueline sees a unique item buried in the ice, but again there is no way she will be lucky enough to get to it and so we will never know what it was. ..perhaps the lost Fetch Stick?
Dark Skies persists as a ghost ship docks by itself. A surge on the Unnameable puts another Serpent and the Servitor of the Outer Gods there – it is clearly stalking Wendy from the end of my last game. A Tcho-Tcho joins the Warlock and then moves into the Dunwich Backwoods, threatening to trigger all manner of nastiness if he enters the vortex, and an Elder Thing (yes, that Elder Thing again) quivers alongside the Cthonian at the Graveyard, waiting for Jacqueline. Both Serpents move into the Merchant streets and the ship has spewed a Hound of Tindalos and a Mi –Go there too. It is monster central, but Mary is not corrupted by any of this.

T6) Nuzzled! Ah, well, 5 consecutive turns of dodging is pretty cool. As a result of Brown Jenkins activity Mary loses a san but cancels it with the stone, and since nobody is in the French Hill district she avoids meeting the Black Man. William and Wendy are nibbled by rats but the rest of the team escape harm. I put a Cultist on the Witch House. Sister Mary continues her orgy of vice, looting the Sword of Glory. I decide that it seems there will be no Elder Signs this game from the shop. William and Asenath use the Silver Key to evade the Servitor on their way to the Abyss and are drained of some of their physical energy as the weight of worlds presses down on them. Norman opens a gate back to the present time and, avoiding the Warlock, he seals the Farm for the second seal, banishing the Cthonian in the process. Jacqueline likewise seals her gate at the Graveyard, causing the Elder Thing waiting there to fly past her into the third sealed rupture. Wendy heads to Gardner’s Place, still gathering clues – she now has a game ending 14. While there she is filled with unnatural vigour and her stamina temporarily rises to a ridiculous 7.
A New Dawn! Innsmouth bubbles open pustulently as a Deep One emerges through a gate to the City of the Great Race at the Esoteric Order of Dagon. Clues appear at the Reef and the Servitor and Mi-Go take to the clouds. The Hound is after Mary, cornering her in the shop, and she uses the Carcosan Page to take Normans exhausted Find Gate spell. She has a primal surge but again misses out on her superblessing stunt. Doom is now 7, bringing marshal law to Innsmouth as well.

T7) Jenkin sleeps again and Mary uses the page to hand the Gate spell to William. William successfully casts the spell and returns to the Unnameable to seal it with lore and clues, bringing the total to 4. Norman gets sneaky around the Warlock and heads to the Backwoods in disguise, stalking (and pinning) the Tcho-Tcho there. Jacqueline takes a deep breath and tackles the Gug in Rivertown. First she summons a shroud of shadow, weakening it, then she invokes her markings of Isis to survive the sight of it, and finally launches herself at it with her athame. Her valiant effort is brushed aside and she is nearly creamed and has to pull out the obsidian statue to enchant the beast for a moment before she slashes at its groin (I didn’t imagine this at all, did I?) and the backs of its knees, causing it to topple into the river, but not before bashing her to the floor in its death throes. Epic. Wendy heads out to the Innsmouth shore, gazing up at the clouds and the mysterious shapes inside them as Mary takes on the Hound, brandishing her cross against the horror of it nicely and lifting the sword to … miss completely with 7 blessed dice. It is Mary jumping the shark. She is ravaged. The Hound tears at the cross on her chest, giving her heart damage. She collapses and later wakes up in Hospital.
A Heat Wave strikes, but again, the yellow play takes no notice. Hecate tries to open a gate at the Woods and the Deep Ones take notice of her failure. The Mi-Go and Servitor swarm down on Wendy at the shoreline (as expected). The thirsty Hound swoops on William just as he seals the gate at the Unnameable.
And Mary wins the Fate or Fortune jackpot, losing her Blessing but bringing about a Blessing for the rest of the team.
It seems Mary is hell bent on an epic spiral of doom.

T8) Nuzzled! But this time I have only Mary being eaten by hospital rats and a new cultist at the otherwise vacant lot of the Witch House. William finally slaughters the Hound with Asenath and emerges unscathed. Norman is now capable of dealing with the Tcho Tcho thanks to the Blessing, so he wops it on the back of the neck with the enchanted cane and loots the ley line map from its pockets. Jacqueline decides to investigate the cult activity at the caves. There she has shattering visions given her by Shub Niggurath and she is given a peek at the top 3 Mythos and allowed to rearrange them. I see that I am just in time and bury the Innsmouth rumour, Plans in Motion, which will give me big problems very quickly. As penance, Jacqueline is savaged – her mind torn out and left hanging from her ears. She has lost a total of 4 sanity in this encounter and has gained the Nightmarish Visions corruption. She wont be sleeping well anytime soon. Wendy dodges all the monsters on her way to the City where she learns that all minds converge and so she spreads her clues around the team a bit just in case things go badly for her. Mary launches herself at the Serpent people in the Merchant district, using clues to hunt them down and succeeding in killing them but overwhelming her heart in the process and winding up in Hospital again, Feverish.
The Heatwave ends as Wizards Hill sees a gate burst (foreseen and plotted) right in front of Norman, and a gate to Yuggoth opens, spawning a Yithian. Doom hits 8. Marys Fate corruption triggers a second time, causing Jacqueline to lose her Blessing and Mary herself to become Cursed. Probably for all time, as punishment for her greed. There is Help Wanted and lots of money in it at the Newspaper, but should she take it?

T9) In Upkeep William needs to refocus to avoid the pull of Yuggoth this turn and Norman loses his Blessing. He sets the Time Bomb to go off in the next Upkeep (thanks to Jaqueline, I know when the Yithian will move) and leaves it on Wizards Hill before evading it and going to Yuggoth where he finds strange discs that turn out to be dangerous (he is slightly injured examining them). Jacqueline staggers towards the Asylum, making it as far as Downtown. Wendy reaches a place in the City that houses a horrible collection of improbable things and loses some of her composure, but has now survived her journey. Sister Mary resists the lure of Yuggoth and heads to the Church in an attempt to restore her faith; she talks to Father Michael, who eases her mind but not her spiritual and physical crisis. She passes the Find Gate to Norman. William, not wishing to take any chances at all, also heads to the Isle to explore the Underworld in case I need another seal. He forces the lid from a stone chest to find gear worth $8.
Goat like creatures are spotted in the woods but there are no Dark Young to cause any terror. A gate to Another Dimension and a Ghost appear on Independent Square bringing the Doom to 9, and Mary triggers her Speak to your Friend corruption. She joins the cult with Jacqueline.

T10) In the final turn Brown Jenkin strikes again, there is creamed Yithian served hot on top of Wizards hill, Jacqueline finally makes it to the loony bin and Sister Mary heads to the Woods where she is involved in a summoning that goes wrong and unhinges her mind further. Wendy returns and seals the Order with her sign and Norman gates back to Dunwich and finishes Hecate off with a seal at Wizards Hill, lighting the path as he lays it down.

STOP HERE IF YOU SKIPPED AHEAD!!!

Hecate is vanquished by seals at Doom 8.

Now go back and enjoy the rest ;)

Aside from Mary who is loaded the team are not in bad shape and have the following (non-starting) gear:

Mary: Healing Stone, Mask of Vice, Book of the Dead, Carcosan Page, Carbine Rifle, Sword of Glory, Egyptologist, Cult Member
Corruptions: Fate and Fortune, Endless Greed, Primal Surge (she lost the Speak to your Friend on the last turn)
Injury: Heart Damage, Feverish

William: Rifle, Telescope, Asenath Waite, Silver Key, Endurance (he also ended up with $22!)

Norman: Disguise, Ley Line Map, Enchanted Cane

Jacqueline: Shroud of Shadow, Markings of Isis, Athame, Cult membership, Initiate
Corruption: Nightmarish Visions

Wendy: Press Pass, Rail Pass

Overall there was little to threaten me in this game after the initial witch and gate problem but if Jacqueline had not had the shattering visions and something bad had happened to my otherworld explorers in turn 9 then the horror of Plans in Motion would have given me a big problem.
So onwards! I am waiting for my printer to begin functioning having exhausted it of ink and will get to that this weekend, if I get the time I will then go through scenario 4, if not it will get printed out and put aside for next week.

Thanks again for the game and thanks to anyone who actually read this!

Edited by dj2.0, 13 August 2013 - 02:39 PM.

• Avi_dreader and eagermind like this

#52 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Congratulations ! It looks like you had a fun ride :-)

Edited by eagermind, 13 August 2013 - 12:01 PM.

• dj2.0 likes this

#53 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

III. Rivalries of the Gods (or, ‘Holy Heart Attack, Batman!’)

Will there be no end to this sanity rending tome of reports on the increasing strangeness unfolding in already fabled Arkham..? Less than a week after Sister Mary and co. send Glaaki slithering back to the bottom of the Glen they are confronted with a sudden upsurge in paganism…

What you need to know

This is scenario 3 of the fan league and after my last 2 games went smoothly I ramped up the difficulty to Avis new ‘Elder God’ difficulty. I think he might be running out of cosmic titles if he wants to make it any harder, so he is probably going to start retroactively converting the normal scenarios into their EG versions. So I figured this would be a good test of this scenario at EG level.

Ancient One: Hecate

Queen of the Witches Sabbath, Hecate requires complex and time consuming rituals to call forth (Doom 13) but makes gates that open at the Witch House unsealable. She breathes a noxious curse over the entire game that makes it necessary for investigators to push their luck harder (an extra success on all Luck checks) and this really hurts in the game, you may as well forget about Luck and focus on Lore instead. If investigators lose their minds, they will need that Lore to avoid going to Yuggoth and encountering there before they find their way to the Asylum, and if they lose sanity in that encounter the loss is permanent brain damage (loss of max San instead). Her cultists stalk the investigation and the members are particularly loathsome to look upon (-2 Horror, 2 damage). Worse, if a Yuggoth gate is open investigators have to wilfully resist being drawn there for their first two movements (Will -1). I wasn’t sure how this would interact with Mythos cards that restrict movement like the impassable roads from my last game, - should Mythos card effects take precedence over Ancient One effects? - but I figured I’d worry about that if it came up.

So that’s my foe. She has help.

Herald: Brown Jenkin

BJ vs. dj and BJ is very nasty. He comes with The Black Man who pops up in front of the First Player as ‘a monster appears!’ whenever Arkham is terrorized. If you fail the Luck check he calls for its goodbye to you, but if you only get 1 success (remember that extra Luck difficulty?) then the Scenario rules (below) have a surprise for you. So with this ploy the option of setting Lore to max becomes less attractive and pretty darn dangerous. What else? Well, gates opening on the Witch House add 2 doom, and surges there add a doom and double the number of monsters. It’s A Very Bad Place and of course it cannot be sealed. Monsters appearing there in the Mythos phase will always involve a Witch or Rat Thing, unless there are none, leading the surge. Witches have 2 toughness, are immune to magic, horrific to encounter (Horror -3, 4 damage) and also move like Earth based monsters (crescents) as well as Carcosan and Yuggoth entities (circles).

BJ is not done yet. He likes to nuzzle up to you at night, and so in the morning (Upkeep) you roll a die and if you get a 1 or 2, anyone in a stable location has had strange dreams and lost a sanity, anyone in unstable locations has met with a rat infestation and been gnawed loose 1 stamina, and the Terror increases by 1 for every investigator in the French Hill area.

Scenario rules at Elder God: Here is where it gets more tricky and the above starts to really look sore for the team. I must use Sister Mary, Jacqueline Fine and Norman Wiithers and Normans ability can remove corruptions. This is important for two reasons a) if the Luck test against the Black Man fails, it gives the investigator 3 Corruption (and gain no clues). b) if any investigator moves adjacent to a Witch or vice versa, they gain 1 Corruption. If they actually have the temerity to attack a Witch, they get a red Corruption. Witches are buffed with 3 additional toughness, bringing it to 5 with the BJ buff, they are made Endless, are not affected by closing gates, never count towards the limit and turn up at the Witch House if placed in the Outskirts. If Hecate awakens, she gains 2 Doom for every Corruption in play. And the final kicker is that you ignore the instructions pertaining to the first gate and instead put a Yuggoth gate on the Witch House, (which will if course start you with 2 Doom and call for Will checks on the very first turn and every turn it remains open just to get anywhere).

Additionally, cultists have some considerable additional buff too: before I make a combat check against a Cultist, I must discard two items or automatically fail. For Night Nuzzling with BJ, each time I roll a 1-2 I place a random Cultist from the cup at the Witch House. I treat Cultists as spawn that can be in the cup and return to the cup if defeated and if they are placed in the Outskirts, I place them in the Witch House instead.

Finally, I only get to move over 2 items from my last game – I chose the carbine rifle and the press pass – and Mary automatically fails her personal story when the Doom Track reaches four. If she passes it, it only allows her to reroll dice for herself and if she is devoured before the doom track is at 6, I lose.

All this turns out to not only be tough to beat but tough to play, as remembering it all is going to be hard and so I decide to take this game slowly. I perhaps should have made a sheet which summarised all these effects together. I read the whole thing over a few times before starting and kept referring to it throughout, and I don’t think I forgot anything.

So how did I do..? Well, I was born on Samhain and so I was not at all intimidated by this armada of witchery, it was an integral part of every birthday of my long and winding life. In fact, setting up the game was almost like laying the dinner table for guests. I intended not to be the main course, and to ensure that possibility did not occur I decided to enlist the aid of 5 investigators:

SETUP

Sister Mary came with her usual gear plus the carbine rifle from her last game. She had read up on Egyptology for this inquisition and came equipped with the Book of the Dead, which was handy as it would let her claim the Witches as trophies. Burn The Heathens!!!

William Yorrick: Drew a nice 6 toughness of trophies again a rifle and telescope, the Silver Key, the Blue Watcher of the Pyramid and the awesome Endurance skill. I really like William, he always seems to come well kitted.

Norman Withers: Walked up in Disguise with an Enchanted Cane, muttering about the secrets of Astral Travel with a Time Bomb strapped under his vest and the usual quick ways to get back to planet Earth. I was very content and happy with this too, it gave me some much needed wiggle room for him should the plans I had go curvy.

Jacqueline Fine: Was actually an Athame wielding, Isis Marked Initiate, Shrouded in Shadow. I found this really interesting as it was blatantly thematic and seemed to be an invitation to explore parts of the game long gathering dust. Since I do not look at cards until they arrive in play, this excited me.

Wendy Adams: Good old Wendy had the Elder Sign as usual and the Press Pass brought forward from the last game and she came equipped with a sharp eye (Spot Hidden) that would help her with those dreadful Luck checks. So long as she scored 1 success and had not exhausted her skill, she would be able to spot the Black Man hiding in wait for her…This gave me an idea – explore the French Hill when it is Wendys turn, and try to arrange it that she is in the streets too. That way I could evade the Black Man a little more.

Setup: Doom rises to 2 as a gate to Yuggoth opens at the Witch House and the Witch responsible moves into the streets, creating a major corruption fissure on the board immediately. The gate that wanted to open was a burst at the Refinery, so I note that for later as it means a sealed Refinery is slightly less likely to crumble. The Mythos is telling me that Someone’s Watching Me, (luckily not a mystic environment, as I am using MH Act mechanics) and I feel the Blessing of the forumites hovering over the room…ok, lets do this guys…

The gist of all this is that at the beginning of the game I have a big problem that needs shutting down quickly, just as in the last game. I need to eliminate the Witch before the entire team falls to corruption just from gathering clues, and I have to close that gate to Yuggoth before anything really bad spews out of it and the team are sucked into a vortex I cannot stop. Norman will be especially badly done in if I make a horrible botch as he will take 2 steps forwards to Yuggoth and one step back each turn. I have been aware of that beforehand and have set my team up in a certain order to maximise my chances of being able to achieve both objectives by turn 2. This was done before handing out equipment – my decision was mostly about who could reach the Witch House on turn 1 and be capable of dealing with the Witch so that Norman could launch himself to Yuggoth and promptly return.

The problem is the Witch is no pushover; she is a (Horror -3, 4 damage), magically immune (Combat -3/2 damage) FIVE toughness super-biiiiyaaatch!!!

Oh my.

There is only one thing for it, and that’s to throw the Sister From Hell at her. Of course, that means leaving people in the French Hill area on the first turn…an open invitation to meet the mask.

THE MATCH

T1) As Mary leaves the Church she grabs the Blue Watcher from William but on the way through the streets to French Hill she catches a whiff of corruption as she thinks jealously of Jacqueline’s jewellery as well…Endless Greed sets in. This greediness she has could now get bad, but she needs the cash. She used to have a Vatican approved credit rating for heavens sake! Facing the Witch she completely flunks her horror check and loses 4 sanity, then, dangerously wobbling on the edge of reality, she attacks the witch and becomes further corrupted by the whims of Fate and Fortune…now that is very interesting as now if the square shows up on white, Mary will lose her Blessing, but everyone else will be Blessed, meaning both William and Mary will pass their PS, and Mary will be re-Blessed. The entire team Blessed and two PS passed by a red corruption if the white square shows up!! Wow - Arkham is so amazingly surprising.

Now, a Blessed Mary wielding a carbine rifle and with her full Fight face on still needs to roll 5 successes on 5 dice to take this minx down, and the odds on that are not good. So Mary throws the Blue Watcher at her and is pan fried in the backlash, dropping to 1 stamina, but the Witch is history and Mary opens the Book of the Dead and sucks her soul into it. Mary will make sure she stays there, trapped in its arcane pages. The streets are now clear, but Mary is shriven. William heads off to the Woods where he meets an old hermit who gives him 4 clues but this delays him. Norman passes Mary on the way to the Witch House, heads through the gate to Yuggoth and there has to call on his clues to avoid having the mi-go draw 2 clues out of his brain juices and send him to the Hospital. At the Unnameable Jacqueline meets Erich Colt listening to music coming from an obviously dead radio, she rescues him from this and gathers 3 clues from the gibbering story he tells her. Sadly she could not find him in the ally deck. Wendy is up to her usual tricks at Independence Square, gathering her first clues there. As she walks along Peabody Avenue she encounters a cosmic silence as she passes under an archway, and is almost cursed and thrown through the Yuggoth gate - her Spot Hidden saves her little bacon. The evil bite of Hecates Luck curse almost takes its first chunk out of the team spirit.

A gate to Unknown Kadath appears at the Woods, bringing Doom 3, drawing the delayed William through and issuing a Proto Shoggoth – the ‘old man’ was a shoggoth trap, but at least I took his clues first. Nothing moves and Mary does not feel compelled to act on her greed nor her dilemma concerning fate and fortune. What happened to God? Her faith seems to be wavering as much as her mind and body. The feeling of someone watching over me is replaced by a carnival atmosphere as The Festival begins. Shame, the better environment only needed to last one more turn for Norman to claim a Blessing from it.

T2) William wakes up to find himself in Kadath in a cave where the ground is littered with pages of a script which contains him as a principle character. He chooses to follow the script, unhinging his mind a bit in the process, but finds himself back in Arkham. Norman uses his magic to find the way back to Arkham too, and he closes the gate to Yuggoth, releasing William from the Proto-Shoggoth. Things go awry a bit when Jacqueline heads to the Graveyard and a gate to Leng appears with a Cthonian (Doom 4, and Mary fails her PS). Delayed, Jacqueline could have picked up some useful items but the Luck penalties are too severe. Wendy goes to Dunwich where she spots a Rail Pass on Bishops Brook Bridge and Mary hobbles to the Hospital for life saving treatment - the poor girl has no money, but the attention she gets is enough to get her on her feet again.

High Tides bring a horrible surge at the Woods – a Fire Vampire and a Ghoul rise up against William, and a Gug and a Cultist mow await Jacqueline alongside the Cthonian. Nobody drowns though, and I almost trigger Marys Fate and Fortune combo – I got a black square. Grrr. Doom is still 4.

T3) Still no nuzzling from Brown Jenkin; he seems sleepy at this point, and Mary holds onto her faith for now despite grappling with existential questions and materialistic urges. Norman heads to the Historical Society to gather 2 clues and meet with Cindi Fleming, who for some reason wants to take him to the caves, but I suspect this is a ploy to trap him there and refuse. Jacqueline meets strange inhabitants of Leng who want her Athame, she refuses and they beat her senseless, but through an act of will she forces them to hand over an Obsidian Statue. At Wizards Hill Wendy has to call on her spot hidden skills again to avoid disturbing the Dunwich Horror – again, this being the third time in a row – and Sister Mary decides it is time to call on her own skills for the night and goes in search of whispers about lost exhibit items in the Miskatonic area. There she sees a crazed woman trying to actually burn an ancient Egyptian mask, and she saves it from destruction. Mary puts it on. It is the Mask of Vice, and suddenly all her dreams of avarice are realisable. (This is the first time I have seen what is on this card. I was shocked and immediately tempted to use it, just like Mary was). William exterminates the Fire Vampire with his bare hands -!! – and takes down the Ghoul with his Rifle, sealing the Woods by literally fighting his way out of the situation. Seal 1 arrives at a very dodgy location…but it’s a step to victory, and I have Jacqueline with clues to stave off any disasters.

Mythos this turn is Missing People Return, which does not touch anyone but elevates Doom to 5. A gate to the Abyss opens at the Unnameable (that strange music of Colts perhaps?) and a Serpent Person appears as William stumbles on a clue. The Gug moves into Rivertown, the Cthonian quivers but does not shake, and Mary gets a Primal Surge as her greediness kicks in, netting her a stolen 4 dollars, but turning her into a cult conversion machine with the Speak to your Friend corruption…oh, Mary…

T4) Well, I almost had a run in with BJ and the Black Man, but the forumites held them at bay again! Thanks guys! Pressing deeper into Leng, Jacqueline somehow finds fresh water and is lightly refreshed but delayed there. Undaunted by the horror that seems to shadow her, Wendy heads to the Glen and similarly sits by a creek soothed but lacking in the Will she needs to find herself Blessed by life. But with the Press Pass she has picked up 2 further clues from around the area. ‘Sister’ Mary heads to the Curiosity Shop, Mask of Vice in hand, seeking an Elder Sign but instead plundering the (no, THE) Healing Stone, an item I have seen maybe 4 times including this one. I am beginning to see things Marys way, and wondering if the Mask is actually broken. I decide later it isn't.  William heads to the Science Building, discussing his brief experience in the cave in Kadath with the learned gentlemen there, gaining a total of 3 clues during the visit. Norman gambles on a terribly risky visit to gather the clues at the Silver Twilight and is rudely knocked aside by Ruby Standish as she flees some monstrous pursuer.

The skies darken, bringing an end to The Festival but not triggering the Overture of that awful play. A Warlock opens a gate to Another Time at the Whately Farm, clues appear at the Hopyard and the Cultist at the Graveyard joins the Gug in Rivertown. Doom reaches 6, and I have 1 seal. Thanks to Dark Skies the stalkers are now moving normally and I can sneak around more easily, but seeing to Fight has become more challenging.

T5) Again, Upkeep is quiet as I dodge the familiar. Wendy robs the Hopyard of 3 clues with her pass and bumps into Zebulon Whately picking through fungus, but she has no spell to impress him with. Mary is now nicely healing up and turns to vice again, oh, such a bad girl, but that Elder Sign is still out there, she does however find the Carcosan Page, and that could be a game changer for the investigators. Now she can ferry the Find Gate Spell and the Healing Stone around. William moves over to the Unvisited Isle and encounters a vampire attacking a huddled figure, He bravely slaughters it from a very long distance away using his rifle and with the help of some endurance and then approaches the figure to find it is Asenath Waite. She takes a shine to him and the two of them join up. Norman holes up in the Library and then astrally projects himself to Another Time. In the time vortex magic manipulates his environment in unpredictable ways but his small degree of spell knowledge prevents him being lost in time and space thanks to this weirdism. Jacqueline sees a unique item buried in the ice, but again there is no way she will be lucky enough to get to it and so we will never know what it was. ..perhaps the lost Fetch Stick?

Dark Skies persists as a ghost ship docks by itself. A surge on the Unnameable puts another Serpent and the Servitor of the Outer Gods there – it is clearly stalking Wendy from the end of my last game. A Tcho-Tcho joins the Warlock and then moves into the Dunwich Backwoods, threatening to trigger all manner of nastiness if he enters the vortex, and an Elder Thing (yes, that Elder Thing again) quivers alongside the Cthonian at the Graveyard, waiting for Jacqueline. Both Serpents move into the Merchant streets and the ship has spewed a Hound of Tindalos and a Mi –Go there too. It is monster central, but Mary is not corrupted by any of this.

T6) Nuzzled! Ah, well, 5 consecutive turns of dodging is pretty cool. As a result of Brown Jenkins activity Mary loses a san but cancels it with the stone, and since nobody is in the French Hill district she avoids meeting the Black Man. William and Wendy are nibbled by rats but the rest of the team escape harm. I put a Cultist on the Witch House. Sister Mary continues her orgy of vice, looting the Sword of Glory. I decide that it seems there will be no Elder Signs this game from the shop. William and Asenath use the Silver Key to evade the Servitor on their way to the Abyss and are drained of some of their physical energy as the weight of worlds presses down on them. Norman opens a gate back to the present time and, avoiding the Warlock, he seals the Farm for the second seal, banishing the Cthonian in the process. Jacqueline likewise seals her gate at the Graveyard, causing the Elder Thing waiting there to fly past her into the third sealed rupture. Wendy heads to Gardner’s Place, still gathering clues – she now has a game ending 14. While there she is filled with unnatural vigour and her stamina temporarily rises to a ridiculous 7.

A New Dawn! Innsmouth bubbles open pustulently as a Deep One emerges through a gate to the City of the Great Race at the Esoteric Order of Dagon. Clues appear at the Reef and the Servitor and Mi-Go take to the clouds. The Hound is after Mary, cornering her in the shop, and she uses the Carcosan Page to take Normans exhausted Find Gate spell. She has a primal surge but again misses out on her superblessing stunt. Doom is now 7, bringing marshal law to Innsmouth as well.

T7) Jenkin sleeps again and Mary uses the page to hand the Gate spell to William. William successfully casts the spell and returns to the Unnameable to seal it with lore and clues, bringing the total to 4. Norman gets sneaky around the Warlock and heads to the Backwoods in disguise, stalking (and pinning) the Tcho-Tcho there. Jacqueline takes a deep breath and tackles the Gug in Rivertown. First she summons a shroud of shadow, weakening it, then she invokes her markings of Isis to survive the sight of it, and finally launches herself at it with her athame. Her valiant effort is brushed aside and she is nearly creamed and has to pull out the obsidian statue to enchant the beast for a moment before she slashes at its groin (I didn’t imagine this at all, did I?) and the backs of its knees, causing it to topple into the river, but not before bashing her to the floor in its death throes. Epic. Wendy heads out to the Innsmouth shore, gazing up at the clouds and the mysterious shapes inside them as Mary takes on the Hound, brandishing her cross against the horror of it nicely and lifting the sword to … miss completely with 7 blessed dice. It is Mary jumping the shark. She is ravaged. The Hound tears at the cross on her chest, giving her heart damage. She collapses and later wakes up in Hospital.

A Heat Wave strikes, but again, the yellow play takes no notice. Hecate tries to open a gate at the Woods and the Deep Ones take notice of her failure. The Mi-Go and Servitor swarm down on Wendy at the shoreline (as expected). The thirsty Hound swoops on William just as he seals the gate at the Unnameable.

And Mary wins the Fate or Fortune jackpot, losing her Blessing but bringing about a Blessing for the rest of the team.

It seems Mary is hell bent on an epic spiral of doom.

T8) Nuzzled! But this time I have only Mary being eaten by hospital rats and a new cultist at the otherwise vacant lot of the Witch House. William finally slaughters the Hound with Asenath and emerges unscathed. Norman is now capable of dealing with the Tcho Tcho thanks to the Blessing, so he wops it on the back of the neck with the enchanted cane and loots the ley line map from its pockets. Jacqueline decides to investigate the cult activity at the caves. There she has shattering visions given her by Shub Niggurath and she is given a peek at the top 3 Mythos and allowed to rearrange them. I see that I am just in time and bury the Innsmouth rumour, Plans in Motion, which will give me big problems very quickly. As penance, Jacqueline is savaged – her mind torn out and left hanging from her ears. She has lost a total of 4 sanity in this encounter and has gained the Nightmarish Visions corruption. She wont be sleeping well anytime soon. Wendy dodges all the monsters on her way to the City where she learns that all minds converge and so she spreads her clues around the team a bit just in case things go badly for her. Mary launches herself at the Serpent people in the Merchant district, using clues to hunt them down and succeeding in killing them but overwhelming her heart in the process and winding up in Hospital again, Feverish.

The Heatwave ends as Wizards Hill sees a gate burst (foreseen and plotted) right in front of Norman, and a gate to Yuggoth opens, spawning a Yithian. Doom hits 8. Marys Fate corruption triggers a second time, causing Jacqueline to lose her Blessing and Mary herself to become Cursed. Probably for all time, as punishment for her greed. There is Help Wanted and lots of money in it at the Newspaper, but should she take it?

T9) In Upkeep William needs to refocus to avoid the pull of Yuggoth this turn and Norman loses his Blessing. He sets the Time Bomb to go off in the next Upkeep (thanks to Jaqueline, I know when the Yithian will move) and leaves it on Wizards Hill before evading it and going to Yuggoth where he finds strange discs that turn out to be dangerous (he is slightly injured examining them). Jacqueline staggers towards the Asylum, making it as far as Downtown. Wendy reaches a place in the City that houses a horrible collection of improbable things and loses some of her composure, but has now survived her journey. Sister Mary resists the lure of Yuggoth and heads to the Church in an attempt to restore her faith; she talks to Father Michael, who eases her mind but not her spiritual and physical crisis. She passes the Find Gate to Norman. William, not wishing to take any chances at all, also heads to the Isle to explore the Underworld in case I need another seal. He forces the lid from a stone chest to find gear worth $8.

Goat like creatures are spotted in the woods but there are no Dark Young to cause any terror. A gate to Another Dimension and a Ghost appear on Independent Square bringing the Doom to 9, and Mary triggers her Speak to your Friend corruption. She joins the cult with Jacqueline.

T10) In the final turn Brown Jenkin strikes again, there is creamed Yithian served hot on top of Wizards hill, Jacqueline finally makes it to the loony bin and Sister Mary heads to the Woods where she is involved in a summoning that goes wrong and unhinges her mind further. Wendy returns and seals the Order with her sign and Norman gates back to Dunwich and finishes Hecate off with a seal at Wizards Hill, lighting the path as he lays it down.

STOP HERE IF YOU SKIPPED AHEAD!!!

Hecate is vanquished by seals at Doom 8.

Now go back and enjoy the rest ;)

Aside from Mary who is loaded the team are not in bad shape and have the following (non-starting) gear:

Mary: Healing Stone, Mask of Vice, Book of the Dead, Carcosan Page, Carbine Rifle, Sword of Glory, Egyptologist, Cult Member

Corruptions: Fate and Fortune, Endless Greed, Primal Surge (she lost the Speak to your Friend on the last turn)

Injury: Heart Damage, Feverish

William: Rifle, Telescope, Asenath Waite, Silver Key, Endurance (he also ended up with $22!)

Norman: Disguise, Ley Line Map, Enchanted Cane

Jacqueline: Shroud of Shadow, Markings of Isis, Athame, Cult membership, Initiate

Corruption: Nightmarish Visions

Wendy: Press Pass, Rail Pass

Overall there was little to threaten me in this game after the initial witch and gate problem but if Jacqueline had not had the shattering visions and something bad had happened to my otherworld explorers in turn 9 then the horror of Plans in Motion would have given me a big problem.

So onwards! I am waiting for my printer to begin functioning having exhausted it of ink and will get to that this weekend, if I get the time I will then go through scenario 4, if not it will get printed out and put aside for next week.

Thanks again for the game and thanks to anyone who actually read this!

See, I told you hard mode wasn't so hard ;'D I liked your tactic for item selection (I'm planning on doing something similar when I replay these sequentially with Elder God difficulty) ;')

You know, I look forward to your reports all week.  I find them interesting and amusing.  And I enjoy seeing the scenarios through other people's eyes.

When I played through some of the more ::cough:: elaborate scenarios, I rewrote them on a sheet of paper (might be easier and neater to do on a computer).  I organized effects by phase order, permanent effects, monster modifications, and triggered effects (ordered from things that were likely to happen most frequently to least frequently, or last in the game, like AO awakening).  I found that fairly easy to keep track of.

Also, I got the same red corruption last time I played the scenario.  I was a little disappointed you were able to dispatch the witch with ease (it's intended to distribute a few more green corruptions before you can take it out with a blessed brute), but after all, it is an earlier scenario :'D  One question though, how did you get The Book of the Dead?  Was that a carry over item.

One thing though, I would have said extinguishes the fire vampire with his bare hands ;'D I like that mental image better.  Very Laurence of Arabia.

Anyway, good luck with scenario 4.  It should be a lot of fun.  I hope you enjoy your dance with Death in the moonlight. 4 and the hard mode version of 1 are my favorites to play of the first five scenarios.

Edited by Avi_dreader, 13 August 2013 - 01:49 PM.

• dj2.0 likes this

#54 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

Oh, just in case people were checking this thread instead of the league website for hard mode.  I revised the Atlach scenario slightly (there was a design problem that I was concerned would make it *too* chance dependent earlier).

Scenario 12: Whenever an investigator attempts to close a gate, a random monster appears that must be fought or evaded first (it does not remain on the board if evaded or if it defeats the investigator). If you are on a turn where you can potentially seal or close your final gate, investigators with explored markers may take their Arkham Encounters phase in any order (even before or after other investigators).  When an investigator attempts to close or seal the last gate, four random monsters appear. Draw and fight or evade them one at a time (do not draw all of them simultaneously and choose the order).  If knocked unconscious, devoured, or driven insane, the final gate does not close or seal.

#55 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

Thanks Avi, i enjoy enjoying and sharing :-) Mary got the book through her starting skill which comes with an exhibit item. There were only 2 imports, the press pass and carbine rifle.
Yeah the witch was dealt with mercilessly...cackles :-) and I'm retroactively extinguishing that vampire, thanks!

#56 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

BJ vs DJ is *awesome*

DJ won, though!

Thanks for the extended report :) And congrats for the new victory :)

I imagine Avi mumbling furiously about the "people keep on winning even on the EG mode. Need to make another difficulty level" :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

• dj2.0 likes this

#57 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

Interesting to notice, you can't have more than 10 emoticons per post (had to cancel some smilies)

#58 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

BJ vs DJ is *awesome*

DJ won, though!

Thanks for the extended report :) And congrats for the new victory :)

I imagine Avi mumbling furiously about the "people keep on winning even on the EG mode. Need to make another difficulty level" :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Elder's Gods' Older Brothers difficulty ;'D

• Julia likes this

#59 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:37 AM

Hi guys, based on my teeny experience I would agree that EG could be beefed up, at least for scenario 3. But I will take these comments to the other thread, along with some questions.

One of the questions though I would like to put out there to this community now, along with a suggestion. I know that Arkham is a tangled web, a very case by case basis in a lot of ways, especially in the grey areas where we are still lacking clear official rulings. And we have a lot of custom made material now  which makes more room for grey areas. Do you guys think it would be possible to hack out and agree upon  a hierarchy of priorities for such situations, something like this:

Where there is an unresolved rules conflict:

Ancient One effects generally take priority over Herald card effects

AO & Herald card effects generally take priority over Guardian card effects

AO, Herald & Guardian card effects generally take priority over Mythos card effects

AO, Herald, Guardian & Mythos card effects generally take priority over Item effects

etc.

Perhaps this kind of thing is really best left to house rulings, but maybe we could also reach some kind of consensus that will help us be more consistent and provide a framework for answering questions in the community?

#60 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

Would love to hear where you insert Institutions in the above mentioned list of conflicts :devil:

But agreed. If you have a list of conflicts, we can start reasoning on how to deal with them :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS