Question about standing up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Haergrim

Haergrim

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hey guys, new to Descent here, and after being steamrolled by the Overlord I was wondering about something : if after knocking a hero out, the OL puts a figure on top of the hero token, is the hero then unable to stand up while the monster figure is still on top of him?

Also, unrelated to the title : we only got to play two on one and felt somewhat at a disadvantage (the heroes did), does the game balance out better with more heroes?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

No. The hero is placed in the nearest empty square.

See rulebook, p. 10 : "If another figure occupies the space containing the hero token, the standing hero figure is placed in the closest empty space to his hero token of that hero player's choice.*

• jab1012 likes this
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
G. K. Chesterton

#3 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

The game balances the best with four heroes.
It favours the heroes with three heroes - if you take into account the fact that large monsters are not more (a master replaces a minion) and that the number of actions is a key element in the game.

Edited by Robin, 28 July 2013 - 02:21 PM.

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
G. K. Chesterton

#4 SouLx

SouLx

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

That is incorrect, the hero may take an action to stand up, and is then placed in the closest empty space of his choice.

Just the 'no' was incorrect. 

Yes you may take a stand up action if a figure occupies the space your hero token is in. 

-----

As Robin said, the quest(s) are best balanced around four hero play. If you are looking for a slight advantage in the heroes favor, three heroes is pulled more towards them in terms of balance.

Edited by SouLx, 28 July 2013 - 11:40 PM.

#5 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:00 AM

That is incorrect, the hero may take an action to stand up, and is then placed in the closest empty space of his choice.

Just the 'no' was incorrect. 

Yes you may take a stand up action if a figure occupies the space your hero token is in. 

-----

As Robin said, the quest(s) are best balanced around four hero play. If you are looking for a slight advantage in the heroes favor, three heroes is pulled more towards them in terms of balance.

????

The question was : " is the hero then unable to stand up while the monster figure is still on top of him?"

My answer was No and it was correct (i.e. "No, the hero is able to stand up and is placed in the closest free space").

I don't understand your nitpicking, but if it makes you happy, all the better for you.

BTW, standing does "take an action", but that is the only action the hero can take - your answer is uncomplete (see, I also can cut hair in four).

p. 10 of the rulebook : "When a hero is knocked out, he can only perform a stand up action".

Edited by Robin, 29 July 2013 - 04:04 AM.

G. K. Chesterton

#6 SouLx

SouLx

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:12 AM

????

The question was : " is the hero then unable to stand up while the monster figure is still on top of him?"

My answer was No and it was correct (i.e. "No, the hero is able to stand up and is placed in the closest free space").

I don't understand your nitpicking, but if it makes you happy, all the better for you.

BTW, standing does "take an action", but that is the only action the hero can take - your answer is uncomplete (see, I also can cut hair in four).

p. 10 of the rulebook : "When a hero is knocked out, he can only perform a stand up action".

I apologize, I had read the question as "Is the hero able to stand up...", which I believed your answer to this was no.

And in response to the bolded. That is actually irrelevant as the question wasn't; "Is this the only action I can take?", and I had stated that you may take an action to stand up.
However, I had misread the question, and your first answer was correct. 

Edited by SouLx, 29 July 2013 - 05:27 AM.

#7 Haergrim

Haergrim

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

Aha! Ok, missed that in the reading of the rules. Silly me ^^'. Thanks for the quick responses!

#8 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

We are all learning.
Welcome to the club!
  • Kunzite likes this
G. K. Chesterton

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS