5 replies to this topic

#1 Utwarkow

Utwarkow

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

Hai, new here

-- Our third game, first with expansions --

Talisman has taken over...our D&D sessions. We grabbed Dungeon and Forstmarch expansions this week. We have a great time with this game, albeit disregarding pen and paper, we so want more Talisman.

Frostmarch didn't blow us away, but we did homebrew the warlock quests and gametime increased. I thought we played long, but not that much longer than any other group of gamers would of played. That is, until I came here and started reading a lil deeper.

Our game just lasted six hours with five of us. We went through an adventure card deck of 200 adventure cards and a half. No one really knew how to move forward fast, we just tried to compete with each other in some sort of hoarding competition. Many times I had to turn to the internet for rule clarifications, always found great answers here to most questions. So I felt you should have a good chuckle at our marathon game of Talisman.

-- Question here --

What direction should I go to better our gameplay experience? *web sites, expansions, homebrew ideas. ( We have Dungeon and Frost March expansion )

#2 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:02 AM

The Reaper expansion is the first choice, followed by the Highlands for your hoarding and topped off with the City to spend your gold! Blood Moon is my 2nd fave small box expansion and Sacred Pool my 3rd.

Ell.

#3 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

I prefer Blood Moon to Reaper, but either are better for advancing game time/goals/challenge than Sacred Pool or Frostmarch.

But the latter two are not without merit. Sacred Pool has many places you can land on that are pools or fountains that help you gain/re-gain your various strength, lives, fate, etc.

If you are looking for danger and challenge, some of us are okay with the Dragons. My co-player doesn't like the Dragons and avoids spaces that mandate those encounters, but I find that many of the objects, followers etc that you may gain are worth it.

Of course, games mostly proceed from random events and players on the top may find sudden events or encounters will totally dump them to the bottom.

Of course even "game-breaking" events, objects, etc. are no guarantee of lop-sidedness. I finally played a game where I had the Scribe as a Follower, plus the objects that allowed me to get extra spells and also Fate, so I cycled madly, but still did not win on my own (The alt ending with light/dark Fate allowed me to co-win with my also Evil opponent)

#4 Utwarkow

Utwarkow

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Oh thanks all,

Most of what you said was greek to me, but can understand the feeling involved. We are all hoarders and not rushers, so I will probably grab Highlands and Reaper, then sacred pool. I am also planning on finding a way to make custom cards, is there any "blanks" we can purchase? Or will it cost a pretty penny to get them.

Custom card idea #1: Ask forums

Custom card idea #2: Call Fantasy Flight games and see if we can buy Blanks.

Custom card idea #3: Peel off the inner cover of the card, paste new card and glue (this seems highly unlikely)

You may ask "Why would you want to make custom cards?", well we want to add a new set of creatures and area. Any clues?

#5 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

You should pose this question over in the "home brews" section of the Talisman forums. Usually that forum's link/heading appears at the top of this forum, along with the "rules" forum/sub forum.

I also recommend talismanisland.com as a place that knows about creating new cards/custom cards. I believe between these forums you should find 'printables' for the backs of cards, recommendations for card stock, etc. 

Many folks do indeed create their own custom cards, boards, etc. as you will see.

I often wonder if any of these do serve as inspiration for the designs dept. for Talisman.

#6 Utwarkow

Utwarkow

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

Mm, yeah. I meant to ask which expansion we should get, but now that I read my post, it doesn't state that. Besides, now I found out that I have to get all the expansions =).

We grabbed Highlands and Sacred Pool expansion, only because that's all our game stores had available. Just ordered Reaper, and am trying to find City Expansion.

Where can I get the City Expansion? It is out of stock everywhere.... ;(

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS