Photo

How Does One Start (Looking in DFW TX area)?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jesterhawk

jesterhawk

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

Hello,

So, eons ago when the Game of Thrones card game was a collectible card game, I had a friend in the area and we played the game like crazy.  Loved it.  My friend moved away and then I got money strapped and sold my old cards.  Which wouldn't amount to much anyway now that the game is an LCG.

So I have two questions.  If I was to play again, how would I even get started with so much out and would I even have a chance given the amount of cards I would not be able to purchase right off the bat?

Second, I am in the DFW area (close to the DFW Airport), is there players out here to play with?  Are they not teenagers (sorry but I tried to stay in the game when my friend left and the local store had a couple of teenagers and being then in my thirties, now forties, it was not a good experience)?  What would be ideal was if there was a couple who played where then I could get my wife to play again (she played before but prefered multiplayer games with her, me and my friend).

Anyway, I thought I would throw this out there and see what is what.

Thanks in advance,

JH

#2 Eric B

Eric B

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

Hello,

So, eons ago when the Game of Thrones card game was a collectible card game, I had a friend in the area and we played the game like crazy.  Loved it.  My friend moved away and then I got money strapped and sold my old cards.  Which wouldn't amount to much anyway now that the game is an LCG.

So I have two questions.  If I was to play again, how would I even get started with so much out and would I even have a chance given the amount of cards I would not be able to purchase right off the bat?

Second, I am in the DFW area (close to the DFW Airport), is there players out here to play with?  Are they not teenagers (sorry but I tried to stay in the game when my friend left and the local store had a couple of teenagers and being then in my thirties, now forties, it was not a good experience)?  What would be ideal was if there was a couple who played where then I could get my wife to play again (she played before but prefered multiplayer games with her, me and my friend).

Anyway, I thought I would throw this out there and see what is what.

Thanks in advance,

JH

Hi Jesterhawk, I am a new player looking to play online via OCTGN and Skype (I'm in Maine).  I am also in my 40s.  I have read the rules pdf, and have ordered a core set to get familiar with the game.  Perhaps we could play some core set games, then gradually ramp up with some expansions?  My Skype name is Eric_B.

Anybody interested in helping a new player play as described above, please feel free to PM me.

#3 jesterhawk

jesterhawk

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

I can't use OCTGN as I am on a MAC.  I appreciate the offer.

I spoke with my wife today and she actually wants to play this game again.  I am pysched.  Now, if I could find some other players in the area.

JH

#4 Visskar

Visskar

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

Area 51 in Grapevine just recently started some league play with the main night being Mondays around 6:30-7:00 pm start.

#5 jesterhawk

jesterhawk

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

I am looking at coming out.  Just had my car go out and $500 later I am a bit short on things.  But I will be out as soon as I can.  Probably another couple weeks as next week I have my daughter move in for college.

Thanks!!

#6 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

Madness Games and Comics in Plano also has a pretty large group that plays regularly on saturday afternoons.

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 2xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

10xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 2xDecimator

#7 jesterhawk

jesterhawk

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

Ok, so I am back.  Life kind of batted me around a bit and I was not able to start like I wanted too.  The good news is that my wife is interested in playing with me as well in a casual fun setting.  And my birthday is next week and I told everyone I want GOT LCG Core set plus whatever else they want.  So I am thinking I will be able to start next week and am really excited.

WOOHOO!

So are there any players around?

#8 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:28 PM

LoL. Did you check the Find Players Nearby thread onf CardGameDB.com?

#9 LordRevan

LordRevan

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

Hey sir, we have a pretty good meta in the DFW area. Some of us meet at Area 51 in Grapevine on monday evenings. Many other meet at Madness Games & Comics in Plano on Sundays. Most of us are in our 20s, 30s and some 40s. Please send me a message if you are still interested.

Edited by LordRevan, 01 May 2014 - 11:41 AM.

Cos' this, people reckon, and me included, is why pubs and drugs were kindly invented... To calm us all down, stop us going mental.

#10 squidbee

squidbee

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

My fiancee and I just started playing and would like to meet other people that play the game. We are from the dfw area.

#11 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

Can someone add the meta to this map?

Thanks!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS