Photo

fatigue recovery change - when did this occur?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ZombieKnowledge

ZombieKnowledge

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

I started a new campaign last night and got into a rules dispute with a friend who is the OL in a separate campaign of his own. 

He argued that Heroes recover all fatigue after completing the first Encounter of a quest, before beginning the second. 

I bought D2E the day it was released.  The rulebook in my copy states that fatigue does not recover between Encounters, yet the one in my friend's states the opposite.  The .pdf on the FFG site also states fatigue does recover as well. 

When did this change occur?  It wasn't mentioned in the errata in the FAQ.  Also, did anything else change that isn't noted on the FAQ?  I don't want to shortchange my players. 

#2 RagsMckay

RagsMckay

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

On page 18 of the rule book it states:

When players transition from one encounter of a quest to another, they
perform the following steps:
Heroes keep all damage suffered during Encounter 1.
Heroes recover all fatigue suffered during Encounter 1.
Heroes keep all conditions they had at the end of Encounter 1.
Each hero player flips his Hero sheet faceup.
Heroes keep all search cards; any flipped cards remain flipped.
Any knocked out heroes may perform a stand up action for free.
The overlord player keeps his current hand of Overlord cards.
Players disassemble the map for Encounter 1 and refer to the Quest Guide in order to set up the map for Encounter 2.

You may have misread it, but I would check your rule book again. I also purchased my copy of the game on the week it was released.

Edited by RagsMckay, 26 July 2013 - 12:49 PM.

I die...A lot.

#3 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Both my PDF and my rule book state that heroes recover all fatigue between encounters.

"Bide your time and hold out hope."

~Count of Monte Cristo

NotesFromTheOverlord.tumblr.com

#4 ZombieKnowledge

ZombieKnowledge

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Kunzite, did you purchase the game when it was first released?  I don't question the rule; In fact I find it to make much more sense as the Heroes would have the time to chill out before diving into the second part of a Quest. 

I'm just curious as to when the change occured.

#5 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

I'm not sure when my friend purchased it or when Descent first came out. We have had the game ofr almost a year now, I know that much.

I am kind of curious as well.

• ZombieKnowledge likes this

"Bide your time and hold out hope."

~Count of Monte Cristo

NotesFromTheOverlord.tumblr.com

#6 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Kunzite, did you purchase the game when it was first released?  I don't question the rule; In fact I find it to make much more sense as the Heroes would have the time to chill out before diving into the second part of a Quest. 

I bought the game when it was first released.  Not day 1, but within a week or two, so I'm quite sure I have a first print run copy.  My copy states that fatigue is recovered between encounters.  This is not a change, it has always been the rule.

Perhaps your copy has some kind of freaky misprint.  You might consider contacting FFG and asking if you can get a replacement rulebook or something.

• Titeman likes this

#7 Bobus X

Bobus X

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, I had mine preordered and it shipped right when it came out, and my rulebook says they recover all fatigue.  Double check the wording.  A picture could really help clarify what might have happened if you can do that.

#8 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

Is it a foreign translation copy? I know that some people have talked about a number of discrepancies between the original english version and the translations; and not just small mistakenly read ones, but some where abilities have additional effects. (I think one user said that a (German?) translation of a hero (Grisban?) ability that allowed an extra attack ALSO stated that the hero had to sacrifice his defense dice for that turn...)

It's almost starting to sound like some of these companies that run the translations are second guessing FFG's decisions and changing the rules based on what they think will fly better in their own markets.

#9 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:26 AM

It's almost starting to sound like some of these companies that run the translations are second guessing FFG's decisions and changing the rules based on what they think will fly better in their own markets.

I don't think so.

At least, of what I read from the French translators, there is a lot of communication with FFG.

One has to take into account tha the translations are started way before the English game is published, so there can be some elements of pre-production rules which have been abandoned in the last stages that the translators can have omitted to remove.

That question of fatigue recovery is very strange, as FFG did not give a public erratum on the question (which should have been the case if a first edition of the rules was wrong).

I believe that the best thing to do would be to send a word to FFG to ask them what may have happened.

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
G. K. Chesterton

#10 fscx

fscx

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

Are you sure your not confusing 1st edition and 2nd edition rules.  Because in 1st edition there was no healing of wounds restoration of fatigue between dungeon lvls and encounters.

#11 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

One has to take into account tha the translations are started way before the English game is published, so there can be some elements of pre-production rules which have been abandoned in the last stages that the translators can have omitted to remove.

Excellent point. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS