New Starting Ship - Clydesdale-Class Gunboat

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sketchpad

Sketchpad

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

Back in SWSE, my group had ran across a Clydesdale-Class Gunboat that they used for their personal vessel to run missions with. As we're picking up where we left off, I made a stock version of the ship to begin modifying a bit. Below are the stats we'll be using, which are based off from the Future Armada: Jo Lynn ship designed for the d20 system. I've modified it a bit from the stock stats for the gunboat. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jo_Lynn_02.jpg

Clydesdale-Class Gunboat

Silhouette 5

Speed 3

Handling -1

Def: Fore/Port/Starboard/Aft 1/1/1/2

Armor 4

HT Threshold 30

SS Threshold 20

Hull Type/Class: Gunboat/Clydesdale-class

Manufacturer: WolfeSpace Engineering Corp

Hyperdrive: Primary: Class 2 Backup: Class 12

Navicomputer: Yes

Sensor Range: Short

Ship’s Compliment: One pilot, one co-pilot, one engineer

Encumbrance Capacity: 350 tons

Passenger Capacity: 5

Consumables: Two Months

Cost/Rarity: 150,000/6

Customization Hard Points: 4
Weapons: One Forward Mounted Medium Laser Cannon (Fire Arc: All, Damage 6, Critical 3 Range: Close)

Edited by Sketchpad, 28 July 2013 - 06:36 PM.

• troy70 and DoctorWhat like this

#2 cordonus

cordonus

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Looks good to me :)

#3 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

Clydesdale is a region in Scotland isn't it? 

Not really a Star Wars appropriate name. Be like calling your ship Spirit of Milton Keynes.

If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#4 Tenrousei

Tenrousei

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

I'm not so sure.  given the armor and the speed, I'd think it would cost more.  Say speed 3; handling -2 and i'd pull the turrets off and just make them forward facing, with a light ion cannon stuck on a forward arc as well. 

It's a game: have fun.  If is stops being fun, stop playing.

The greatest evil is the indifference of good men.

#5 DoctorWhat

DoctorWhat

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

My players had one of those in my Savage Worlds Star Wars campaign. It was last seen plunging down the chasm between the buildings on Nar Shaddaa after one of their enemy's mercenaries blow out the support struts on the landing pad it was docked on.
Followed by the cries of, "our bloody ship!" "I spent a fortune upgrading that droid!" and " My bonzi tree was still on there!"
  • lightofhand, BrashFink and FangGrip like this
Opinions stated in the above post are my opinions.
They may be different from your opinions, that is ok, that's how the world works.

#6 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

Yeah, I'm with Tenrousei in thinking this is a little on the beefy side.  It's strictly better than all the other ships available as a starting option in the book.  Without the base d20 stats to work from, hard to say what's appropriate and what's not.

Drop the speed to 3, change the weapons to light laser cannons and the cargo capacity down to no more than 200 Encumbrance and this would be better balanced.

Otherwise, I'd boost the cost by at least 50%, as this thing's a beast, and approaching the combat power of some of the Silhouette 5 ships.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#7 Bayard91

Bayard91

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hey look... It's Serenity.

• FangGrip and Jaarka like this

#8 Sketchpad

Sketchpad

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

I'm not so sure.  given the armor and the speed, I'd think it would cost more.  Say speed 3; handling -2 and i'd pull the turrets off and just make them forward facing, with a light ion cannon stuck on a forward arc as well. 

Yeah, I'm with Tenrousei in thinking this is a little on the beefy side.  It's strictly better than all the other ships available as a starting option in the book.  Without the base d20 stats to work from, hard to say what's appropriate and what's not.

Drop the speed to 3, change the weapons to light laser cannons and the cargo capacity down to no more than 200 Encumbrance and this would be better balanced.

Otherwise, I'd boost the cost by at least 50%, as this thing's a beast, and approaching the combat power of some of the Silhouette 5 ships.

I considered making the cannons forward firing. I'm going to revise the stats a bit based on what you guys said, however, I think some will stay and I'll beef up the price as well. The ship it's based on can carry 25 troops as well as a 5 person crew and cargo that's pretty impressive, so I watered it down a bit already. Thanks for the feedback! If I get a chance I may do a few others.

Hey look... It's Serenity.

Kind of. But just slightly different. If you saw the interior maps, it's obvious where the inspiration came from but where things were changed as well.

Not really a Star Wars appropriate name. Be like calling your ship Spirit of Milton Keynes.

Because Falcons and Crows are Coruscant and Corellian names. ;)

#9 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

I wonder if maybe instead of being Silhouette 4, make the ship Silhouette 5?

That way, the impressive cargo capacity you mention would make more sense, particularly in comparison to the Wayfayer, as would the high Hull and Strain thresholds.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#10 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

and Solo is fine? It just means Alone. Vader, old German for Father. Leia, Luke, Han... all normal sounding english names... and there are tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of worlds inhabited in the galaxy, so...

#11 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

and Solo is fine? It just means Alone. Vader, old German for Father. Leia, Luke, Han... all normal sounding english names... and there are tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of worlds inhabited in the galaxy, so...

Meh, go with what you like. If the name is canon in your star wars, who cares? Who knows what Clydesdale means in your universe... could be some exotic strain of Dewback. A lot of Lucas terms are borrowed from our terms used to evoke similar ideas. That said... I would have probably "Star Warsed" it up calling it Clansdale or kraytsdale. I would probably go on to say a kraytsdale is not a krayt dragon at all, but a strain of very lean and powerful Dewback.

Edited by BrashFink, 25 July 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#12 Sketchpad

Sketchpad

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

I wonder if maybe instead of being Silhouette 4, make the ship Silhouette 5?

That way, the impressive cargo capacity you mention would make more sense, particularly in comparison to the Wayfayer, as would the high Hull and Strain thresholds.

Hmm. Maybe, Donovan. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

#13 WarrenH

WarrenH

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

I'd say if its based on a ship that could carry 25 passengers, 5 makes more sense.  Just my 2 cents.

#14 vadersson

vadersson

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:36 AM

I will second the use of most the ships from the Future Armada series.  They have been making posters on Kickstarter and i have used those projects to get a bunch of the ships in PDF.  There are some cool looking ships, shuttles, and other useful stuff there.  Some of it is very inspired by other shows like this Firefly-ish ship.  There is also a Falcon-like ship and a Star Trek style saucer I know of.  

Thanks,

Duncan

Gold 109 (ret.)

Wesa need Gungans!

#15 Rookhelm

Rookhelm

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

I think we just jumped universes, lol.

Where's Mal?

#16 Sketchpad

Sketchpad

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

I think we just jumped universes, lol.

Where's Mal?

She's the captain on the vessel I posted above. You heard right, I said she. The way the campaign's worked out, the players have as much in common with the crew of the Serenity as they do Star Wars. ;)

#17 Sketchpad

Sketchpad

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

Updated the ship once again. Bumped up the Silhouette and modified the Handling by 1.

#18 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

Updated the ship once again. Bumped up the Silhouette and modified the Handling by 1.

If it's Silouette 5, it's going to need to add in port/starboard defense values unless you want it to have those unusually weak.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS