• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spazzfish

Spazzfish

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:36 AM

Hi,

After picking up the core set and really enjoying the game which I play with my partner we decided to get a few more cards to expand on the experience.

So we looked online to see what was available and...BAM! you get hit with an overwhelming array of choices (if you can find them in print).

Anyway I wanted some advice really before I take the plunge on some new cards.

Now bare in mind i won't be playing tournaments or buying any more copy's of the core deck.

I'm just going to play with my partner and have decided to probably play Highlander style.

Realistically can we just get by with one copy of each of the major expansions?

The outlay on picking up the single 60 card packs seems overly daunting and will run into silly money.

However are we missing out on anything by avoiding the single packs? I know there are probably a few good cards but I don't want to be constructing goblin decks (if there is a Cthulhu equivalent) and batter my other half by my second turn :/

It seems like the general consensus is to pick up secrets of Arkham and Order of the Silver twilight. Would it then be sensible to just carry on getting the major expansions in order?

If anyone who has experience with the card pools and especially the major expansions and can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Secrets of Arkham is what I'd get first.  If you're trying to keep costs low, you can easily postpone Order of the Silver Twilight for a long time.  It's main value is in adding a new faction to the game but to really capitalize on that you'll want to buy card packs from the later cycles that will have more Silver Twilight cards and it sounds like you'd rather not buy very many card packs if you can avoid it.

Ordinarily a second Core is desirable, but if you mostly want to play Highlander there's no reason to get it.  You probably do want to get at least the Shifting Sands card pack because this contains the current set of story cards and more story cards is pretty handy to add variety even if you never plan to play in tournaments.

You should never need more than 1 copy of any expansion, as virtually all of them contain a full playset of 3 copies of each card.  Secrets of Arkham is a small exception, it has 2 copies, but for casual play that's still "enough".  Over time you can pick up the boxed expansions for the factions you like, keep in mind that having extra cards for a faction may give them a competitive advantage by having more choices.  There are also expansions that have equal cards for everyone like the soon to be released "Terror in Venice" which are probably better buys if you want to keep everything equal.

So short version - I'd recommend Secrets of Arkham, The Shifting Sands, and Terror in Venice when it comes out as a good way to expand from the Core for guys that mainly want to play casually.  If you want to shake things up a little by adding another faction then I would say the next stage would be to get the Silver Twilight expansion and some additional card packs that will have more Silver Twilight cards in them.

#3 FensTheSpook

FensTheSpook

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hi all

New to the forums, but not new to CCGs (but this is my first LCG). My girlfriend and I started playing about 3 months ago. We currently have 2 core sets, Arkham Secrets, and Order of Silver Twilight. We also got 3 asylum packs.  

I would like to have 3 of every card in the game, but when I went to Amazon/Ebay this afternoon I noticed that a few of the packs are not available (Antediluvian Dreams) or were $900 (Dread of Night). Obviously I'm not paying that kind of money and I suspect no one else will either, but I take this to mean those are out of print and/or rare?

My question is basically: What is the status of this game with FFG. I know they are making a new Deluxe Expansion so it's not dead, but what about the old asylum packs? Am I just out of luck for the complete Dreamlands and Summons of the Deep? Do they ever reprint them? I am really hoping for a deluxe box that contains them all or something.

Thanks in advance!

#4 TheProfessor

TheProfessor

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

FFG has reprinted a number of asylum packs, and in a better format (3 of each card - not the original distribution model).  As to when Dreamlands will be reprinted, well this has been a subject of inquiry for a couple of years now.  All we can do is wait and see.

• FensTheSpook likes this

#5 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

No pack for any LCG has ever gone permanently out of print.  It may take a while, but they will be back.  In the meantime, you can work on catching up on the other cards.  Dreamlands I believe is on the schedule to start being re-released later this year.

• FensTheSpook likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS