Design a monster

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#41 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

if they did a campaign out to sea or coastal (maybe Atlantis like setting?), they could do fish/merpeople! That would be super fun. Along with other fish like monsters. Maybe Leviathan as a LT?? Maybe fishing it there ^.^;; hehe.

I have thought that many a desert like theme would be fun. Scorpion would be a fun monster type. I could see them with stun and/or poison. They could conceivably be powerful and small. Snakes and sandworms could pop up. Sandworms could have swallow.

They aren't super exciting as some of the others posted here, but I would like to see them. I would like to see these environments as well ^.^;;

Sea setting would be cool. It would be interesting to see how they would fit something like that in. Perhaps a campaign setting that takes place on an island and you half to interact with the surroundings of the island.

Edited by Silverhelm, 29 July 2013 - 12:24 PM.

• Kunzite likes this

#42 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

<3 Maybe the first incounter could be on a boat geting over to the island. If they lose the encounter they have to swim to the coast >D!

I want to use Kobolds on that one so they can all be running around saying "I'm on a boat! I'm on a boat!" >D! It would be epic in a stupid way.

• Silverhelm likes this

"Bide your time and hold out hope."

~Count of Monte Cristo

NotesFromTheOverlord.tumblr.com

#43 Ringskipper

Ringskipper

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

I would kill for an island-themed campaign. Maybe a merman/mermaid hero would be possible. It would also add an arsenal of water monsters (of which there are only, like what... 4 right now?).

• Silverhelm and Kunzite like this

#44 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

I, too, want something like that.

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/np2/char2/char/rikuo-original.jpg

• Kunzite likes this

#45 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

Or like this  :rolleyes: ?

130082.jpg

• Silverhelm and Kunzite like this
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
G. K. Chesterton

#46 DukeMantis

DukeMantis

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:03 PM

Can someone tell me how to find the 'create your own monster' templates?

#47 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:29 AM

There are photoshop files in the BGG files section.

http://www.boardgame...-custom-content

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
G. K. Chesterton

#48 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:36 AM

I've already done on monster or two, but for tiles, there's nothing

#49 Deathseed

Deathseed

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

colin-mochrie.jpg

Known to induce potentially lethal fits of laughter in its victims.

At the start of a heroes turn, if it is in LOS to that hero, that hero must test Willpower or suffer two fatigue.

• Husker949, Silverhelm and Kunzite like this

You think you've got problems. What are you supposed to do if you are a manically depressed robot? No, don't even bother answering. I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you, and even I don't know the answer.

#50 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

colin-mochrie.jpg

Known to induce potentially lethal fits of laughter in its victims.

At the start of a heroes turn, if it is in LOS to that hero, that hero must test Willpower or suffer two fatigue.

Lol think I lost two points of fatigue reading that. Still not a bad idea kill heros with laughter why not make the model look just like that guy too.
  • Kunzite likes this

#51 DukeMantis

DukeMantis

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

Look in the BGG files section.
There already are some fan made monsters, such as a jelly cube, a rust mondter and an Arumbaya amazonian with a blowpipe.
There are photoshop templates to create home made monsters too.

Please direct me to these files! Have not been able to find them :(

#52 BillyBabel

BillyBabel

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

U want to see some animal or human monsters. Like bandits, necromancers, etc...

Necromancer could be interesting, for his action he "casts" and you put a stamina token on his base and for every monster that dies within say 5 spaces a zombie is placed in their space and you remove a stamina token. Although they'd have to have like 3 health and brown defense die to even out.

Edited by BillyBabel, 19 August 2013 - 09:57 PM.

• Kunzite likes this

#53 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:24 AM

Look in the BGG files section.
There already are some fan made monsters, such as a jelly cube, a rust mondter and an Arumbaya amazonian with a blowpipe.
There are photoshop templates to create home made monsters too.

Please direct me to these files! Have not been able to find them :(

Arumbayas : http://www.boardgame...-custom-monster

Siren: http://www.boardgame...-custom-monster

Basilisk: http://www.boardgame...-custom-monster

Chimera: http://www.boardgame...-custom-monster

G. K. Chesterton

#54 VonEros

VonEros

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

I don't know if this has been done or not if so sorry.

Thought would be interesting to see ideas on new monsters in future.

Ill start I'm not familiar with Runebound lore but if there's a jell type a monster I'd like a relatively weak jell monster that can if he lands a hit destroy an item from the hero. And I mean removed from game Casters would be a good choice when dealing with these.

What about you any ideas?

I don't know... The idea of destroying and removing items from the game seems a bit overpowered. The game still needs to be fun. I may be the only one that recalls the DragonLance 5th Age and all of its stupid balance issues. That game had a critter that, if it landed a touch attack, would erase your character from history. What fun is that? The opportunity to obtain new gear is not something that the players get so often that the ability to take it away should be added for balance. I do like the idea of having the critter be resistant to physical attacks and making casters better suited to sorting them out.

Edited by VonEros, 20 August 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#55 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

The files were not posted, but I saw proposals of "Jelly Cube" and "Rust monster" cards within an old thread on BGG.

It would ask some spelunking abilities to find those posts, however. ;)

G. K. Chesterton

#56 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

Ill start I'm not familiar with Runebound lore but if there's a jell type a monster I'd like a relatively weak jell monster that can if he lands a hit destroy an item from the hero. And I mean removed from game Casters would be a good choice when dealing with these.

I don't know... The idea of destroying and removing items from the game seems a bit overpowered. The game still needs to be fun. I may be the only one that recalls the DragonLance 5th Age and all of its stupid balance issues. That game had a critter that, if it landed a touch attack, would erase your character from history. What fun is that? The opportunity to obtain new gear is not something that the players get so often that the ability to take it away should be added for balance. I do like the idea of having the critter be resistant to physical attacks and making casters better suited to sorting them out.
I like the physical resist idea but if the moster wasn't a heavy hitter or had something the heroes feared they would probably ignor it until greater threats where delt with. Maybe instead of eat/destroy maybe take until killed. Or maybe just giving them all grab ability with physical resists would be intresting. But yeah I see your point that might be a little to high a consequence for them.

Edited by Silverhelm, 20 August 2013 - 08:19 AM.

• VonEros likes this

#57 VonEros

VonEros

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

I like the physical resist idea but if the moster wasn't a heavy hitter or had something the heroes feared they would probably ignor it until greater threats where delt with. Maybe instead of eat/destroy maybe take until killed. Or maybe just giving them all grab ability with physical resists would be intresting. But yeah I see your point that might be a little to high a consequence for them.

I really dig the idea of having it take the items until it has been slain. It recalls to mind those really obnoxious shield-eating guys from the Legend of Zelda. It keeps well with the Gelatinous Cube model, while not being heinously overpowered. Maybe a 4 square critter with a point of Reach to simulate tentacles of slime grabbing your gear. Spend a surge to "eat" a piece of gear at random, but exclude Runes as valid targets. Canon says that they are etched into the flesh of the caster. Hard to steal that...

#58 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

U want to see some animal or human monsters. Like bandits, necromancers, etc...

Necromancer could be interesting, for his action he "casts" and you put a stamina token on his base and for every monster that dies within say 5 spaces a zombie is placed in their space and you remove a stamina token. Although they'd have to have like 3 health and brown defense die to even out.
Really hope they make a campaign with a Necromancer theme. Maybe got to stop him before raising mummies,skeletons,banshees, lesser necromancers, lesser vampires ect. Lol like that idea with Necromancer. Want him to be a nasty beast to deal with at end game. They could even add Eliza Farrow in this.

Edited by Silverhelm, 20 August 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#59 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

I really dig the idea of having it take the items until it has been slain. It recalls to mind those really obnoxious shield-eating guys from the Legend of Zelda. It keeps well with the Gelatinous Cube model, while not being heinously overpowered. Maybe a 4 square critter with a point of Reach to simulate tentacles of slime grabbing your gear. Spend a surge to "eat" a piece of gear at random, but exclude Runes as valid targets. Canon says that they are etched into the flesh of the caster. Hard to steal that...

Lol I remember those guys. Bet heroes would need to pick item taken, or if OL did then they would use blue dice so they can still punch(if weapon taken).

#60 BillyBabel

BillyBabel

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

I think something like a thief melee goblin that can steal 25 gold for an awareness check fail and 50 gold in act 2. You put a stamina token per 25 gold on the figure or 50 in act 2, and if the scenario ends without killing him, or he walks off map with it, then the heroes lose the 25 gold or 50 gold. Also let him expend a stamnia token to stun a hero on a failed strength check, with minus one to the strength check for each stamnia token still on the thief goblin, the heroes get their gold back from this. . Thematically he is carrying a bag of gold and he hits someone with it, and the heavier the bag, the more likely that you'll daze the heroes but then gold comes out of the bag when you smack someone with it.

This would counteract things like the treasure hunter and his insane gold getting ability.

Edited by BillyBabel, 20 August 2013 - 11:04 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS