Design a monster

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#21 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

I want a basilisk, a two square monster, with petrify abilities (3 surge : the hero skip his next turn, no damages for example)

• Kunzite likes this

#22 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

I want a basilisk, a two square monster, with petrify abilities (3 surge : the hero skip his next turn, no damages for example)

I like the idea of petrify. Good idea. Another good monster a Caster should deal with.

Edited by Silverhelm, 27 July 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#23 SouLx

SouLx

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

I like the idea, however I would add a test to Will to see if the hero can resist the transformation before he becomes petrified. 

3 Surge: Choose a hero adjacent to this monster, he must test Will. If he fails, during his next turn the hero cannot take any action or spend any fatigue to move. He can activate his familiar as normal, if applicable.

• Silverhelm likes this

#24 Ringskipper

Ringskipper

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Petrified is a neat idea, though I'll be mad if they make something like that since that would've been perfect for Medusa.

My dream monster is a 2x2 Sphinx that can riddle the heroes with low knowledge (thus immobilizing them). It would give us a large, female monster, and I think they could do some really interesting stuff.

I also would love some merfolk enemies. They were in Runebound, so you never know. A water-themed small set with merfolk and kraken enemies and the 2nd edition Siren lieutenant... one can dream.

• Kunzite likes this

#25 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

Petrified is a neat idea, though I'll be mad if they make something like that since that would've been perfect for Medusa.

My dream monster is a 2x2 Sphinx that can riddle the heroes with low knowledge (thus immobilizing them). It would give us a large, female monster, and I think they could do some really interesting stuff.

I also would love some merfolk enemies. They were in Runebound, so you never know. A water-themed small set with merfolk and kraken enemies and the 2nd edition Siren lieutenant... one can dream.

I can see that. Lol thought your Medusa comment was funny and true.

#26 Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:21 AM

I love the Sphinx idea...but I don't know why that would be a female monster.

And, I think in the expansions if they introduce a new ability that would better suit a conversion monster it'd be neat if they would include that as a bonus. Would add value and playability, and the conversion kit wouldn't lose viability due to the heroes and the majority of the monsters

• Silverhelm likes this

#27 Ringskipper

Ringskipper

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

I love the Sphinx idea...but I don't know why that would be a female monster.

And, I think in the expansions if they introduce a new ability that would better suit a conversion monster it'd be neat if they would include that as a bonus. Would add value and playability, and the conversion kit wouldn't lose viability due to the heroes and the majority of the monsters

Sphinxes in the fantasy genre are usually female (from what I've seen anyway). That's not to say there aren't male ones, which are heavily featured in Egypt, but I feel like (or at least hope) that Descent's sphinxes would be female, so as not to be too confused with Manticores (which look pretty sphinx-like).

I would love it if they gradually reintroduced the monsters from the first edition into the second edition. Not all of them, obviously, but some of them are just such staples -- Beastmen, Skeletons, Demons, etc. It'd be great to see some of them again with an updated miniature and updated powers.

• Kunzite likes this

#28 JBouthietteJr

JBouthietteJr

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

I didn't come into this thread with any good suggestions, but some of these ideas are great! I think female sphinxes would be cool. I also like the idea of jelly cubes that could Swallow.

Taking the time to think about it, treants would be cool to have (I love me some wooden folk!). I also think some Lovecraftian monsters would be great, like nightgaunts (scratch the same itch Razorwings do, but maybe Immobilize instead of stun due to their "tickling") and Yithians (powerful small space monsters, master can essentially perform Dark Charm in an attempt to invade a hero's body).

• Kunzite likes this
TIE Fighter x7 / TIE Advanced x1 / TIE Bomber x3 / TIE Interceptor x8 / TIE Defender x3 / TIE Phantom x2 / Lambda-Class Shuttle x2 / Firespray-31 x1
X-Wing x3 / A-Wing x3 / B-Wing x1 / HWK-290 x1 / YT-1300 x1

#29 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

I didn't come into this thread with any good suggestions, but some of these ideas are great! I think female sphinxes would be cool. I also like the idea of jelly cubes that could Swallow.

Taking the time to think about it, treants would be cool to have (I love me some wooden folk!). I also think some Lovecraftian monsters would be great, like nightgaunts (scratch the same itch Razorwings do, but maybe Immobilize instead of stun due to their "tickling") and Yithians (powerful small space monsters, master can essentially perform Dark Charm in an attempt to invade a hero's body).

Treants would be cool. Those would of fit in Trollfens theme I think. Maybe will see them someday.

And maybe cream color jell cubes swallow and the master can eat an item.

Edited by Silverhelm, 28 July 2013 - 05:08 PM.

• Kunzite likes this

#30 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

I was think ot that too

a small expansion

the dark forest

with undead treants, werewolf, and a dark witch lieutenant

• Silverhelm likes this

#31 Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Well, the sphinx talk has me wondering why more mythic folk aren't here, I'd love a:

Minotaur: some type of ramming power (like a charge +knockback).

Phoenix: burn, fly, rebirth (not reinforced but returns in the same spot in 2 turns)

Cyclopes: Like a giant or ettin

Fenrir: A large wolf with a bleed ability

• Silverhelm likes this

#32 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

Well, the sphinx talk has me wondering why more mythic folk aren't here, I'd love a:

Minotaur: some type of ramming power (like a charge +knockback).
Phoenix: burn, fly, rebirth (not reinforced but returns in the same spot in 2 turns)
Cyclopes: Like a giant or ettin
Fenrir: A large wolf with a bleed ability

I'm up for Minotaurs,Sphinx they all would be interesting.
  • Sleepwalker42 likes this

#33 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

the conversion kit already has a minotaur hero, so seeing monsters as minotaur would be strange.

But a Phoenix could be fun, even if it would be funnier as a familiar.

#34 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

Here are links for some fan made monsters (pdf files) on BGG - in case someone missed them - all proposed by Rom Brown :

- Chimerahttp://files.boardga...eb495915627cb2d

- Basiliskhttp://files.boardga...9168ae2690ab3b1

- Sirenhttp://files.boardga...99bb44d6e8091f3

- Arumbayahttp://files.boardga...e274458dc027396

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
G. K. Chesterton

#35 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

I saw them already, there's some times, but he didn't propose figures with them, so it's not really fun to uses.

#36 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

I saw them already, there's some times, but he didn't propose figures with them, so it's not really fun to uses.

He proposed tokens, and proxies can be used (either figures or stand ups).
Were you expecting to be able to download figures from BGG onto your gaming table?
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
G. K. Chesterton

#37 Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

the conversion kit already has a minotaur hero, so seeing monsters as minotaur would be strange.

No differnt than Kranon and the beastmen from 1st ed

• Silverhelm likes this

#38 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

Cyclopes would look good next to Ettins.

#39 Ringskipper

Ringskipper

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

No differnt than Kranon and the beastmen from 1st ed

Or Shiver and the shades. :)

• Silverhelm likes this

#40 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

if they did a campaign out to sea or coastal (maybe Atlantis like setting?), they could do fish/merpeople! That would be super fun. Along with other fish like monsters. Maybe Leviathan as a LT?? Maybe fishing it there ^.^;; hehe.

I have thought that many a desert like theme would be fun. Scorpion would be a fun monster type. I could see them with stun and/or poison. They could conceivably be powerful and small. Snakes and sandworms could pop up. Sandworms could have swallow.

They aren't super exciting as some of the others posted here, but I would like to see them. I would like to see these environments as well ^.^;;

• Silverhelm likes this

"Bide your time and hold out hope."

~Count of Monte Cristo

NotesFromTheOverlord.tumblr.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS