Photo

GenCon 2013 update for Talisman? Hoping for new expansion announcement?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 surferthanos

surferthanos

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hi guys,

Just wondering if Fantays Flight will annouce another big board expansion at GenCon 2013.  It would be great to add the "last corner" for a complete and epic board. 

Any ideas on what the next big board will be?

Maybe a mountain type expansion or dare I say Timescape.

I never owned the 2nd edition and thus never played Timescape.  I know there are some that are vehemently against it.

Thanks,

surferthanos

#2 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

I would expect a small box expansion to be released next. That sci-fi expansion you mentioned, I hope we never see it!

Ell.

#3 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

wELL, there was no Internet back in those days, but I still don't think so many people hated it.  Maybe 50/50, so what does that prove?

At any rate, I do believe that unless FFG is winding down (or winding up for a new 5th ED?) that we will see a small expansion before the final board, whatever it is.

How about a 4th board called "The Wilderness" and it can have all kinds of swamp, hills, forest, woods, canyons, etc. spaces?

• nodgenesor likes this

#4 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Since there is already a WH40K specific version of Talisman ( Relic) I highly doubt they will ever release Timescape as an exapansion. It would be redundant.

#5 surferthanos

surferthanos

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:38 AM

I really wonder if the Timescape expansion was not that fun or people just jump on the bandwagon to say that it was not fun.  I would like to hear from veteran Talisman 2nd and 4th edition players that like the game but do not like Timescape. 

I realize it does not fit in the fantasy setting but gameplay wise how did it work?

#6 Czev

Czev

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

We've been kicking around ideas here.  http://community.fan...n-for-talisman/

Yes ladies and gents, I really am highly concentrated WTF!!!!!!

#7 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

Hi, veteran 2nd Ed player, from the 1980s. As now, only played 2 player games, with my wife. We played other games with more people, but this one never caught on with "the gang".

Okay, we bought every expanions, I believe. I liked Timescape, a LOT. But my wife did not. And she rarely went there. Her reasons for not liking are that it's a distraction from the base goals, not that it "didn't fit".

While I understand the argument; not to mix sci-fi elements too much with Talisman/medieval-ish fantasy, I would have to say that I use the precedent of Andre Norton, grandmaster sci fi author for many years, in her Witch World series (20 books or so?) their is a slight tie in with various characters or plots who come to this fantasy medieval world through "Gates" and warps from other dimensions and times. In one or two cases it is modern era earth. Sometimes older eras of history.  And the occasional dystopian/semi-dystopian futuristic setting.

I'm sure there are other examples in sci-fi and fantasy of this combination.

Having said that, I wouldn't weep overly for the lack of Talisman. As I've mentioned before, "other dimensions, such as Hell/Chaos/Demonic/Angelic realms" could be an alternative to the more sci fi oriented Timescape.

Some poster's ideas about a Necropolis, or my previous "board-lets" thoughts are other ideas that could support extra-dimensions but stay in the fantasy/medieval context.

#8 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

Hi, veteran 2nd Ed player, from the 1980s. As now, only played 2 player games, with my wife. We played other games with more people, but this one never caught on with "the gang".

Okay, we bought every exspansion, I believe. I liked Timescape, a LOT. But my wife did not. And she rarely went there. Her reasons for not liking are that it's a distraction from the base goals, not that it "didn't fit".

While I understand the argument; not to mix sci-fi elements too much with Talisman/medieval-ish fantasy, I would have to say that I use the precedent of Andre Norton, grandmaster sci fi author for many years, in her Witch World series (20 books or so?) there is a slight tie in with various characters or plots who come to this fantasy medieval world through "Gates" and warps from other dimensions and times. In one or two cases it is modern era earth. Sometimes older eras of history.  And the occasional dystopian/semi-dystopian futuristic setting.

I'm sure there are other examples in sci-fi and fantasy of this combination.

Having said that, I wouldn't weep overly for the lack of the Timescape. As I've mentioned before, "other dimensions, such as Hell/Chaos/Demonic/Angelic realms" could be an alternative to the more sci fi oriented Timescape.

Some poster's ideas about a Necropolis, or my previous "board-lets" thoughts are other ideas that could support extra-dimensions but stay in the fantasy/medieval context.

#9 Golbez57

Golbez57

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

I really wonder if the Timescape expansion was not that fun or people just jump on the bandwagon to say that it was not fun.  I would like to hear from veteran Talisman 2nd and 4th edition players that like the game but do not like Timescape. 

I realize it does not fit in the fantasy setting but gameplay wise how did it work?

Hello!  We played many games with Timescape "back in the day."  It was definitely a departure from the fantasy setting of the rest of the 2nd Edition, but really, it was sort of a "retcon" in that it made the Talisman world one of many dimensions across the gated universe.  

Personally, I did not like the movement in the Timescape.  There were three paths from each space, and you only traveled in one direction along one of the paths.  If I remember right, 1-2 was a red path and had you going more slowly through the Timescape and encountering more of its spaces, 3-4 was the blue "average path" and 5-6 were the fast "green" path.

Spaces either had you drawing Timescape cards--weird otherdimensional enemies, high-tech gear, and occasionally rifts that had you backtracking or drawing in Adventure cards--or encountering things off a chart.  Some had poisonous or radioactive atmospheres, there was a space fortress, and to exit, you had to face down a Warp Demon, similar to 4th Edition Revised Dungeon's Lord of Darkness.  The reward was getting 2 Strength or Craft.

Some of the gear was great.  Really, MOST of it was great, unlike the trash that littered the Dungeon.  I remember the Anti-Grav platform being a prime target (carry loads of gear) and for whatever reason, our group got fixated on the unintended humor of a Combat Enviro-Suit, especially when worn by the Leprechaun and such.  

There was a different strategy to the place.  For one, you had to go in when you were pretty powerful (strong enemies) and healthy (lots of ways to lose Life).  Second, you had better have had increased carrying capacity, as if you discard an item in the Timescape, it's gone for good.  Third, it was a great place to hide out if you were a mid-game character being hunted by others for a specific piece of gear, since it's difficult to encounter one another in the Timescape--if it was even possible, I forget.

All in all, there were some good times ("Ah, yes, it's been awhile since I visited Death World... I missed this place") and it was always fun to see someone who was a sure winner draw the Horrible Black Void, be sucked there, and then stuck on the red path seemingly forever.  But I never felt it really "clicked" with the Talisman I knew and loved, due to its theme and different movement mechanics.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS