Edge of the Empire Form Field PDF

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 Voice

Voice

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

And as I was filling out a couple examples using characters I've built, I had a couple more ideas that *kind of* mesh with another suggestion made by someone else, the page of talents?

Having talents at the bottom of one page, and the top of another splits them unnecessarily, and means you have to handle the pages more often, unless you actually have room for a 3 page spread at the gaming table.  If the 'talent' page just had the 'equipment log' and 'critical injuries sections, with the Motivation, obligation, misc, and description sections moved to the top of the 3rd page (Background and Notes), I think it would involve less fiddling with the pages at the table.  That way, combat ends up using pages 1 & 2 (with room for more Talents on page 2 mitigating the need for the 'page of talents', though probably not eliminating it entirely), and all the characterization and background information on one page.  (Possibly page 2 so that when they're printed duplex, you don't have to flip it to keep the skills/etc and talents all visible during play.)

Just some thoughts.

• DylanRPG likes this

#62 Caied

Caied

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

Some quick notes regarding the way things are done with Acrobat.  The dice pools are using fonts, which means The color can be controlled but things like stroke outlines aren't possible.  That said I can definitely change the colors to help them stand out a bit more.

Also keep in mind the primary design (and why they were done originally) is for digital use on a tablet or computer where the layout calls for slightly different approach than a print out.  I'll take a look at the high contrast version and see about rearranging some things, but it makes editing or updating more difficult with each difference between the two versions.

Edited by Caied, 30 July 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#63 Zychon

Zychon

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

I worked up some of my own with dice pools (using webdings), but I'm too scriptually challenged to have it auto calculate. Muy Bueno, Sir!

Edited by Zychon, 02 August 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#64 Caied

Caied

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

been a bit busy finishing up projects at work and travel, i'll probably be revisiting the vehicle sheet this weekend as well as polishing a couple tab-order issues with the latest character sheet

#65 Slay125

Slay125

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:53 AM

Love this sheet :D! My group started playing Edge of the Empire last friday and this made filling the character and ship sheet so much easier!

I've found one thing missing though... the Surveillance (Int) skill. We've put it in the custom skill list for now, but maybe it's an idea to add this one to the next version of the pdf ;)

#66 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

Surveillance was removed during Beta. There seem to be a few references to it hanging around in the book, but they shouldn't be there and should reference either Perception or Computers, IIRC.

#67 Slay125

Slay125

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:40 PM

Ah, I didn't know that. Apparently we're using the beta books, so that should explain why we found that skill in the first place. Thanks for clearing that up Kallabecca.

#68 Valdier

Valdier

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

Ah, I didn't know that. Apparently we're using the beta books, so that should explain why we found that skill in the first place. Thanks for clearing that up Kallabecca.

Piracy is bad m'kay?

You guys really should get at least a copy of the rulebook, it has quite a bit of info in it that is different than the beta.

Edited by Valdier, 19 August 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#69 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

Piracy is bad m'kay?

You guys really should get at least a copy of the rulebook, it has quite a bit of info in it that is different than the beta.

People have been selling the Beta books on Ebay. m'kay.

#70 2percentright

2percentright

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

Anyone else having an issue when printing to pdf of the career skill check box coming out as white circle instead of a black circle? 

#71 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

Haven't heard of it before. I don't really print out much anymore, so haven't seen this issue.

Which sheet is this happening to. I'll try and take a look at it.

#72 2percentright

2percentright

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

It's on the most recent character sheet. 

Here's a screen grab to see what it looks like on my end:

k9WCs4d.png

The weird thing is, when I fill it out, the circles are black. But when I print to PDF the circles are white as shown. Not sure what the deal is. 

Haven't heard of it before. I don't really print out much anymore, so haven't seen this issue.

#73 MrDodger

MrDodger

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

Has anyone had any luck getting this to work on a mac? I've tried five different pdf readers now (including foxit, preview, adobe reader and pdf reader x), and not one of them shows the dice symbols. Running on 10.9.4 btw.

If you have got it to work on a mac, please let me know what reader you're using!

#74 2percentright

2percentright

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

The only way I got it to show the dice symbols was to fill out the character sheet online in the web browser. If I just save the PDF and then fill it out, the dice symbols don't carry over. 

Has anyone had any luck getting this to work on a mac? I've tried five different pdf readers now (including foxit, preview, adobe reader and pdf reader x), and not one of them shows the dice symbols. Running on 10.9.4 btw.

If you have got it to work on a mac, please let me know what reader you're using!

#75 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

The only way I got it to show the dice symbols was to fill out the character sheet online in the web browser. If I just save the PDF and then fill it out, the dice symbols don't carry over. 

That sounds like the PDF Reader you're using is reinterpreting the PDF before saving it, which would remove any unused fonts from it. I had this issue with my sheets, which I fixed by embedding the font in a used form in the document, but in a hidden area (so it won't print or show while entering data).

Try right-clicking (or whatever the apple equivalent is for the single-button mouse) the links to download the PDF rather than clicking "Save" inside the reader.

#76 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

It's on the most recent character sheet. 

Here's a screen grab to see what it looks like on my end:

k9WCs4d.png

The weird thing is, when I fill it out, the circles are black. But when I print to PDF the circles are white as shown. Not sure what the deal is. 

Checked this out as best I could and it shows up as Black for me. So, might be an issue with either your printer driver or whatever version of the PDF reader you're using (I was testing with Adobe Reader v11.0.7).

#77 jmachate

jmachate

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:20 AM

I love sheets like this for RPGs and this one is no differant.  I can't express enough how appreciative I am of the work you are doing.

A few  things I would LOVE to see.

1) The main one is a personal gear page with  Quantity and  Encumberance Columns (doesn't need to do math or anything).  The sheet is 3 pages long so moving Personal Gear to it's own page OR at least give it half a page so we can fill it in with all of our gear.
2) Armor section with clumns for Defense, Soak, Enc and HP

3) Encumbrance with Threshold and Current columns.

4) Criticals with 3 columns: Critical Injury, severity and Details.  The severity column would be 4 check boxes (dice pool)

5) Motivation and Obligation boxes can be smaller as they don't use that uch space.

4) Something that I don't even know is possible would be a dice pool in the weapons area that takes into account special features that add dice, such as Accuracy.

Thank you so much for your work.

#78 MrDodger

MrDodger

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

That sounds like the PDF Reader you're using is reinterpreting the PDF before saving it, which would remove any unused fonts from it. I had this issue with my sheets, which I fixed by embedding the font in a used form in the document, but in a hidden area (so it won't print or show while entering data).

Try right-clicking (or whatever the apple equivalent is for the single-button mouse) the links to download the PDF rather than clicking "Save" inside the reader.

That's not it unfortunately. I've even tried downloading it on a PC, doing one change (proving it works), saving it to Dropbox and opening it on the mac. No use. Ranks boxes won't click very well, and no dice symbols ever calculate. Will have to stick to editing it on the PC i guess.

Thanks for the work though!

#79 knasserII

knasserII

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

I just wanted to say thank you for these. They are very smart, very helpful.

I had some problems with the forms becoming non-editable after the first time I saved them, but that was just Adobe's software playing silly buggers. I installed Foxit Reader and it works fine.

Thanks.

I lack credentials.

#80 CaptainRaspberry

CaptainRaspberry

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

I realized I haven't posted here, and I wanted to say that these sheets are the ones I use and recommend to everyone in my various groups. It would be excellent to see a version of this available for AoR and FaD, or even a master sheet that has spots for the various extra skills and mechanics. That said, this sheet is definitely my favorite.

Thanks for making it.

Sic transit gloria.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS