The 2013 GenCon Melee Thread

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kr4ng

kr4ng

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

Who is as excited as I am for the 2013 GenCon Melee Tournament?

I have been putting a lot of time into Agot this year.  And I have decided that raw talent alone cannot win joust in this environment with too many baddies winning with TLV; therefore, I have been focusing on melee--a game that is won based on raw skill.

Let me explain, because I am sure you are thinking: "Whaaa??? Melee is not really a skill game".

### 

No. Melee is truly where it is at right now.  The restriction of the scourge and the engineer has brought balance back to melee.  That deck was really strong control deck, and a lot of people were trying to play rush last year so of course it would dominate.  But now, rush has entered back into the melee meta prior to GenCon 2013.  Can a pure control deck win again, like at worlds?  I think it can, but only piloted by a skilled player like DCDennis.

Furthermore, TLV won't be very good in Melee because it usually takes a while to get those decks rolling and the Bara player at the table will have won by then.  In fact, since TLV is so broken in joust, they should just errata the agenda to, "If you have more than one opponent" since I think the agenda is quite balanced in melee.

###

Most people in DC are coming to Indy just for the melee tournament this year (I know a few of us actually have to catch the red eye home after the melee tournament is over) as it has been pretty much the only thing we are playing this summer.  It has been a lot of fun!  We have had lot of fights though.  The table alliances have been broken more times than Taylor Swift's heart.  I am never making an alliance for second place with Corey again. F**k that guy seriously.

I have had all the usual DC suspects (Corey, Erick, Dennis, Brian, Dan etc etc. because lets be honest they love melee more than joust too--since they can never win a joust championship and close doesn't count) over to my place for cocktails, beers, bbq, and melee about 15 times this summer.  We try to have 4 to 6 melee games per week.

The best part about these melee parties is that we have found melee to be super competitive in all the houses.  We have had some crazy games come down to the wire.  One time we were playing and it was like 14 power for Erick and I had 10 power and then my girlfriend came over to serve us some more margaritas and she spilled them all over Dan Ach's cards! We just stopped playing and declared it a draw--actually I don't know where I was going with that story.  I had to buy Dan a new playset of NCF's. 

###

The point is, melee is where it is at, and I can't wait to play it at GenCon 2013.  Not sure which house I wanna try and win it all with this year, but I am thinking Bara, Targ, or Greyjoy. Any house can win from our playtesting though.--Not that our melee playtesting is definitive by any means (we have a general bias toward NPE melee decks).

You guys should all get out there and start doing some melee testing prior to the joust FAQ. Because the melee restricted probably won't change to much, and melee is a game, in the words of my good friend and true mensch and woodman, Erick Butzlaff: "Melee is a game that can be beaten."

• scantrell24 likes this

#2 HoyaLawya

HoyaLawya

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

BBQ, beer, and melee bro!

#3 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

The best part about these melee parties is that we have found melee to be super competitive in all the houses.  We have had some crazy games come down to the wire.  One time we were playing and it was like 14 power for Erick and I had 10 power and then my girlfriend came over to serve us some more margaritas and she spilled them all over Dan Ach's cards! We just stopped playing and declared it a draw--actually I don't know where I was going with that story.  I had to buy Dan a new playset of NCF's. 

I remember that! That's when I stopped playing Stark forever.

#4 fhornmikey

fhornmikey

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'll be counting on my good friend Brian again this year to ****** victory from Jon's hands and deliver it into mine (I'll bring you 3 copies of Knights of the Storm Brian, you can play them OOH if you must).

Seriously looking forward to yet another big melee tournament, hopefully this time with less shenanigans (but if Dennis got DQ'd for old times sake I wouldn't complain too loudly).

#5 fhornmikey

fhornmikey

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

I'll be counting on my good friend Brian again this year to ****** victory from Jon's hands and deliver it into mine (I'll bring you 3 copies of Knights of the Storm Brian, you can play them OOH if you must).

Seriously looking forward to yet another big melee tournament, hopefully this time with less shenanigans (but if Dennis got DQ'd for old times sake I wouldn't complain too loudly).

LOL @ this forum software censoring Sn.atch.

#6 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

Yeah.  I find it amusing anytime profanity is censored. :-)

#7 scantrell24

scantrell24

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

That's a fantastic idea for what to do with TLV.

1st Place 2013 AGoT Regional (Kingsport, TN)

Crimson and Gold Author on Cardgamedb

The Comprehensive New Player Guide

Find Players In Your Area

#8 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

I remember back when i played wow, the word 'grape' would always get censored because it contained the word '****'.

#9 darknoj

darknoj

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:39 AM

Its great to hear the DC meta is still focused on what they do best (melee). I know the last year has been hard for them not having anyone from DC take down the melee national or world titles but i think your hard work will pay off soon kr4ng. keep it up man and keep promoting the game you love and are good at.

cheers

#10 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

Its great to hear the DC meta is still focused on what they do best (melee). I know the last year has been hard for them not having anyone from DC take down the melee national or world titles but i think your hard work will pay off soon kr4ng. keep it up man and keep promoting the game you love and are good at.

cheers

That's kr4ng - melee poster-boy. 

It would be sweet if the Nationals melee table ended by calling a draw from too many margaritas. Then everyone would hug it out and co-design the champ card.

• fhornmikey likes this

#11 kr4ng

kr4ng

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

cheers

Thanks Darknoj, I'll see what I can do at GenCon this year--obviously a lot of my melee post was tongue-in-cheek, but I actually do enjoy melee.

I may be joining the San Fran meta soon; delivering all the DC decks for the price of new thrones friends out west ;)

#12 darknoj

darknoj

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

I will buy you a beer at gencon kr4ng come buy and collet it any time. ;)

#13 Rehlow

Rehlow

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Now I'm just sad I can't go to GenCon. Maybe again some year.

#14 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

10/10 - Would read again.

Also, wtf, dcdennis?!?!?!?! WHO PLAYS WOW WITH THE SWEAR FILTER ON!?!?!?!?!

#15 kr4ng

kr4ng

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

I will buy you a beer at gencon kr4ng come buy and collet it any time. ;)

deal!

#16 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

~Get your melee-loving, Kanuk-fraternizing butt to SF! All it takes it one beer from someone in the US's backyard for your to sell out? smh

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS