New Cthulhu projects - answer for Dj

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:01 AM

We will let the game decide...I will run at it in 'normal' (ha! never was that word more abnormally used) and if I do ok, Ill crank it up to 11. Julia your point about making way for double the fun is excellent and had crossed my mind too.

Ok, so thematic items are out - although they only change the random draws not the fixed possessions, it is wiser to assume there might be some unforeseen conflict.

I'm a Doctor Who fan (less than 4 months to the 50th!) - so "RUN!" is a favoured tactic. Also, as a Cthulhu rpg player, running was the only way to develop your character in a positive direction...I also learned long ago that the most valuable resource in Arkham isn't clues or Elder Signs, its time. And probably the most significant skill is prioritising actions and evaluating the importance of he numerous and varied threats. So my tactic is to kill only when it is absolutely necessary and to generally ignore the Terror track unless I cant.

As for tactical devouring: I don't think I ever did it. So it will be a blooding for me...but one thing about me and games is I am not afraid to make sacrifices if I have to. I've just never *had* to in AH...

#42 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

some of them were noobs and ended up being butchered, but still - and no, Avi, I'm not complaining :-p 

::laughter::

#43 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

We will let the game decide...I will run at it in 'normal' (ha! never was that word more abnormally used) and if I do ok, Ill crank it up to 11. Julia your point about making way for double the fun is excellent and had crossed my mind too.

Ok, so thematic items are out - although they only change the random draws not the fixed possessions, it is wiser to assume there might be some unforeseen conflict.

I'm a Doctor Who fan (less than 4 months to the 50th!) - so "RUN!" is a favoured tactic. Also, as a Cthulhu rpg player, running was the only way to develop your character in a positive direction...I also learned long ago that the most valuable resource in Arkham isn't clues or Elder Signs, its time. And probably the most significant skill is prioritising actions and evaluating the importance of he numerous and varied threats. So my tactic is to kill only when it is absolutely necessary and to generally ignore the Terror track unless I cant.

As for tactical devouring: I don't think I ever did it. So it will be a blooding for me...but one thing about me and games is I am not afraid to make sacrifices if I have to. I've just never *had* to in AH...

Agreed.  It sounds like you may have the correct perspective on the game to succeed in the advanced league (provided you properly manipulate game features).  I like telling people that being distracted from the primary objective in Arkham is far more fatal than monsters.

Although I wouldn't necessarily say that time is more valuable than Elder Signs and clues.  I sort of look at them as all different time related currencies ;') if you exchange one for the other, it is important that you are getting a good exchange rate.  I don't just look at an Elder Sign as an easy seal, I look at it as a way to potentially devour a character you want to be rid of (rarely, but I've done it before), a way to gain turns equal to the number of investigators, plus a little more since it's not like you get one doom per turn, and of course, guarantee of not getting stuck at a difficult to close gate, so, a little more time.  And of course, the time saved on clue hunting or clue trading ;')  Of course, all this comes at the cost of time spent elder sign hunting, but I'm sure you know all this.

Speaking of time, I like your new Avatar :'D

Edited by Avi_dreader, 26 July 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#44 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

Aye, I like Dj's new avatar too.

Avi, I was considering designing three special Scenarios to be considered as "bonus" (hidden levels where you train with the master? something like that) to be used at the end of each of the first three segments of the League - Hard mode. What do you think? Will you accept an external interference? The first one will be Yog (after scenario 5), the second one will have some nefarious things related to the Cats of Ulthar (after scenario 12), and the third one should be a sort of prequel to the last segment (and you all will hate me for this, I promise you)

Lemme know

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#45 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

Aye, I like Dj's new avatar too.

Avi, I was considering designing three special Scenarios to be considered as "bonus" (hidden levels where you train with the master? something like that) to be used at the end of each of the first three segments of the League - Hard mode. What do you think? Will you accept an external interference? The first one will be Yog (after scenario 5), the second one will have some nefarious things related to the Cats of Ulthar (after scenario 12), and the third one should be a sort of prequel to the last segment (and you all will hate me for this, I promise you)

Lemme know

Wellllll...  I spent a few minutes thinking about this.  My answer is yes and no.  Yes, you can make bonus content scenarios that I'd be glad to add in the bonus content section under Alternate Timelines, no in the sense that I don't want them interrupting the narrative (plus I don't want to write narrative for them), so I'd want them put at the end.  If you want investigators to still have some bonus items for them, just provide extra random or fixed items for those scenarios.  How does that sound?  I think it'd be fun if some of your content got more exposure in the context of the league.  I was always somewhat sad that it was designed before you really started taking off with your creations, because I would have incorporated all or most of them had they been around earlier, on the other tentacle, fortunately I did not, because that would have given me even more work to do, and one has only so many tentacles to do things with.  ...  That sounds wrong.  One must be more careful while discussing tentacles in Lovecraft Land.  To work with.  Better!

Edited by Avi_dreader, 26 July 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#46 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

So, correct me if I'm wrong, it's a sort of mini-league to be set off after Scenario 24, right?

I'd go with something like "save this from the first segment", "save this from the other" and so on.

Really, I think no narrative is required.

It won't really be about my stuff, but about something different. You'll see :-P But first of all, I need to seriously work on some stuff :devil:

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#47 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

So, correct me if I'm wrong, it's a sort of mini-league to be set off after Scenario 24, right?

I'd go with something like "save this from the first segment", "save this from the other" and so on.

Really, I think no narrative is required.

It won't really be about my stuff, but about something different. You'll see :-P But first of all, I need to seriously work on some stuff :devil:

I would just assign investigators a bonus item or two, it would make things a lot easier instead of having to edit.

#48 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

I would just assign investigators a bonus item or two, it would make things a lot easier instead of having to edit.

I guess not editing a dam(n) is a good point...

#49 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

I guess not editing a dam(n) is a good point...

First principle: be lazy.

Second principle: be lazy.

#50 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:00 AM

Agreed.  It sounds like you may have the correct perspective on the game to succeed in the advanced league (provided you properly manipulate game features).  I like telling people that being distracted from the primary objective in Arkham is far more fatal than monsters.

Although I wouldn't necessarily say that time is more valuable than Elder Signs and clues.  I sort of look at them as all different time related currencies ;') if you exchange one for the other, it is important that you are getting a good exchange rate.  I don't just look at an Elder Sign as an easy seal, I look at it as a way to potentially devour a character you want to be rid of (rarely, but I've done it before), a way to gain turns equal to the number of investigators, plus a little more since it's not like you get one doom per turn, and of course, guarantee of not getting stuck at a difficult to close gate, so, a little more time.  And of course, the time saved on clue hunting or clue trading ;')  Of course, all this comes at the cost of time spent elder sign hunting, but I'm sure you know all this.

Thanks, I like it too, it is from the Elder Sign: Omens list.

Yes, you are right of course, the exchange rate for things is the critical factor, and I usually base that on what is happening at the time so there are no real guidelines to it, it is something you get a feeling for. Speaking of which, that is one of my gaming quirks: I can sit and stare at the board and get a sense of whether or not the worst is about to happen. You know the deal: is that seal going to crumble, will the Gug move and join up with the Dhole, will the Dunwich Horror awaken this turn, etc. It doesn't work with the lucky break syndrome, only with the stuff you don't want to happen. I get it right about 8 out of 10 times according to the group I play with. Is this cheating, and do I need to wear an aluminium cap?

hmm ...am I slowly turning into a servant of my nemesis, Glaaki...???

Edited by dj2.0, 27 July 2013 - 03:01 AM.

#51 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Thanks, I like it too, it is from the Elder Sign: Omens list.

Yes, you are right of course, the exchange rate for things is the critical factor, and I usually base that on what is happening at the time so there are no real guidelines to it, it is something you get a feeling for. Speaking of which, that is one of my gaming quirks: I can sit and stare at the board and get a sense of whether or not the worst is about to happen. You know the deal: is that seal going to crumble, will the Gug move and join up with the Dhole, will the Dunwich Horror awaken this turn, etc. It doesn't work with the lucky break syndrome, only with the stuff you don't want to happen. I get it right about 8 out of 10 times according to the group I play with. Is this cheating, and do I need to wear an aluminium cap?

hmm ...am I slowly turning into a servant of my nemesis, Glaaki...???

Yes, I too am very good at predicting what will happen in the game. Every turn I predict that something bad will happen, and sure enough, it does!

Your nemesis Glaaki will be even more of your nemesis after scenario 2 ;')

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS