Photo

Is there a chance for all new archetypes?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 MarcelloKing

MarcelloKing

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

Hello. 

I am wondering if there is a chance that we become a new archetype in Descent 2. edition?

What do you think? 

#2 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

I don't think so...Following the Descent ways of doing, 4 Archetypes is the sweet spot.  More Characters and classes will be added but I don't think we'll see a new Archetype...

We currently have Warrior, Scout, Healer and MAge...but it could be fun to speculate on a 5 one...what would you like to see?

The Warrior classes:  Zerker, Knight, Champion and Beastmaster.

The Scout classes: Thief, Wildlander and Treasure Hunter (the 4th one will be in Trollfens).

The Healer classes: Disciple, Spiritspeaker and Apothecary ((the 4th one will be in Trollfens).

The Mage classes: Runemaster, Necromancer, Geomancer and Hexer.

What i'd like to see is maybe a way to multi-class?  That would open up new playstyles and more build variety and maybe adding a new "Neutral" class deck that could solder those multi-classes?  

My idea: You'd have to choose a Primary Class which you'll have to level to a certain point before being able to choose skills in your Secondary Class.  Maybe use the same system as the OL where you have to get X number of skills before unlocking the other...like Having at least 2 Primary class skills before being able to select a Secondary skill.  And add to this some kind of control where you must have at least X more Primary skills than your Secondary skills.

As for a 5th Archetype: Bard/Skald!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- A pure support/buffer archetype where each classe specialize in boosting a specific stat.  One for Attack/damage, one for Magic, one for resistance/defense, etc.

• griton and Kunzite like this

#3 MarcelloKing

MarcelloKing

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

I dont know if this is possible in the descent universe. i am a new descent palyer. 

But one archetype would be, to get crazy, a person who is half human and half animal. 

for example half wolf and half human. Centaurus. so he gets some abilities which the animal has. :) 

#4 Ringskipper

Ringskipper

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

I feel like Bard would fall under the Healer class.

#5 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

I feel like Bard would fall under the Healer class.

Well or the Scout one...but I admit it looks too much like an existing Archetype.

But i'd really love to see a pure buffer/support class...but as much as i'd love to see this I don't think it'll be a viable archetype when playing with only 2 Heroes...

#6 Radish

Radish

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

Bard could be under healer or rogue depending on how they wanted to handle it.  Four archtypes is pretty soild.  It handles pretty much every fantasy template of guy that hits people, guy that looks for traps, guys that hits people with his brain and healbot.  Anything is pretty much a subset of those in one way or another,

#7 MarcelloKing

MarcelloKing

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

hm yes right. I also dont think there will come a new one. Aslong as the classes are unique and different it is ok. 

#8 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

Ok here's another idea: A Smith Archetype.  They could implement some kind of Material Deck that when you search you pick X amount of Mats cards to add to your Smith.  Then add a Campaign step or simply dot his during the Shopping phase that let your Smith forge some random item from the scraps he collected.  

I know it's a bit too much but add X type of items that can be forged: Weapons, Armors, Accessories and Runes (?!!??!) so that we have 4 types for the 4 Classes: Weaponsmith, Armorsmith, Jeweler and Runesmith.

Damn that would be fun!

#9 MarcelloKing

MarcelloKing

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

this sounds like a cool idea. but the question which remains is, is there enough potential for many classes? 

4 classes 4 sure. would be hard to find cool abilities for those guys :) 

#10 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

this sounds like a cool idea. but the question which remains is, is there enough potential for many classes? 

4 classes 4 sure. would be hard to find cool abilities for those guys :)

Yeah that would be the challenge, make 4 unique classes...

Maybe make it a one-class Archetype and release some of those?  Make is a Smith Archetype with only 1 class (or 2).  Make a unique Smithing Deck where you forge a unique/random item on par with the Shop Item power.  

But it would be cool to have specific smithing decks where you have to find specific mats to forge them.  Like Rings and Amulets you'd have to find a gem and a ring/pendant.  When you have both you can forge a magic Accessory and pick a card from the Accessory Smithing Deck. :P

That's pushing it a bit but maybe something i'll try to create, look fun to try!

#11 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

Here's to complement on my Smith idea:

Instead of Mats Cards maybe during the Shopping Step the Smith could roll X dice for each Search Cards the group have.  Some card would roll less dice and some more depending on the item.  Each result would give a number ot Material Tokens to the Smith which he can use immeditely to forge unique items.

Plus this would be a unique classe that ANY character and Archetype could choose.  It would have a unique Skill deck for it so it would level like any other classes.

Heart = Simple jewelery

Surge = Gems

Number = X/2 rounded down in scraps (metals, leathers, etc)

X = Nothing

You could keep your mats or use them right away to forge items.

After that, why not add an Enchanter class to enchant itens?!??! :P

I think i'll start creating this class...damn that look cool!

Edited by SolennelBern, 15 July 2013 - 09:52 AM.

• Kunzite likes this

#12 MarcelloKing

MarcelloKing

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

good luck to you!

#13 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

As for a 5th Archetype: Bard/Skald!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- A pure support/buffer archetype where each classe specialize in boosting a specific stat.  One for Attack/damage, one for Magic, one for resistance/defense, etc.

This would encourage to have heroes choose one archetype over another, you know? Like to have a mage heavy campaign. I would like to see something like that. It makes the OL's job easier and harder at the same time.

I like the all buff character. I think it would be intresting.

"Bide your time and hold out hope."

~Count of Monte Cristo

NotesFromTheOverlord.tumblr.com

#14 MarcelloKing

MarcelloKing

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

it is possible to play for example with 4 scouts or 4 warriors. 

it is not forbidden am i right? 

#15 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

Not forbidden at all and it's quite fun!

#16 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

You can have as many archetypes as there are class cards for it. No two characters can share a class, but they can share an archetype. My heroes are no fun and won't try it out. Maybe our next campaign ^.~ or if there was a bard!

• SolennelBern likes this

~Count of Monte Cristo

#17 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

Another idea for the Smith...why not just create a Trade Skill system that all characters can follow during a campaign?!?!?

Like in many MMOs where a toon can undergo a trade skill.

#18 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

Another idea for the Smith...why not just create a Trade Skill system that all characters can follow during a campaign?!?!?

Like in many MMOs where a toon can undergo a trade skill.

Or a character who helps buff trade value of things. At least that much! Or as a hero ability they can flip up the first three shop items and buy one of them for 25 less then list price if they have the money.

But I like where you are going with this. It would give the heroes a buffer when it comes to shop so they don't really have to focus getting all the search items and consentrate on the quest.

...or something like that.

Though I like smiths. Maybe a smith could modify existing weapons during the shop phase? Maybe a skill could be for x gold an upgrade could be done.

~Count of Monte Cristo

#19 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

I don't think D2E needs a fifth archetype.  As others have said, the four they have to a good job of covering all the basic class ideas you're likely to need in a fantasy setting.  Furthermore, such an archetype would be at a pretty serious disadvantage in the number of classes it had to choose from, unless the expansion that introduces it was nothing but 5 or 6 classes for that archetype.

I do like the Smith idea, a hero who can forge his own gear, but I think that could be explored as a class for each archetype who specializes in making gear for his archetype.  Less disruptive to the base mechanics of the game, and more possibilities for future expansion.

#20 wumpus

wumpus

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

I really like the multi-classing idea. Maybe restrict to only level 2( 2 exp cost ) skills with two classes  and base/level 1 cost skills for three classes...?  

Or out of archtype class mixing skills cost 1 more exp than normal... Hmm I will have to play around  and see what is reasonable and not uberpowered.  

Playing when I can:

Descent 2nd

Netrunner:Android

X-wing minis

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS