Photo

Anyone interested in participating in a 2013 Scenario Contest?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

[EDIT:  GAME ON!!!  Yes, we have enough people.  the suggested rules are in a thread lower down.]

I'm just gauging interest again this year.  We had 5 excellent entries last year.

Are any of you interested in participating in a scenario writing contest again this year?

If we get at least 5 people committed to author, I will again sponsor the following:

• Winner: $20 gift certificate and bragging rights
  • Entrants: Free Official original printed copy of Day Late, Shilling Short mailed to you and bragging rights to put on your RPGGEEK game designer page.  (I still have about 60 copies left of DLSS by the way).

Rules will be a minimum word count (probably 6+ pages minimum not including pre-gen characters or maps) to ensure substantial content.  Entries will be judged by anyone interested.

I will assist any new authors needing help and there are always lots of other people who will also assist.

Deadline is October 31st.

Interested?

Jay H

Edited by Emirikol, 20 July 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#2 Ghazi

Ghazi

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:30 AM

I would be interested in submitting.

What happens to the entries, both the winner and the other entries? 

Who won last year's contest?

Is there a template that should be used for format of entries?

#3 Ambivalent Badger

Ambivalent Badger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

Being somewhat confident when it comes to my writing skills, I might be able to cook up something decent if I only had a good story to work with. However, methinks I'm too inexperienced, having only written/hosted six different episodes this far - none of which are standalone scanarios.

But I might enter next year, if things go right...?

I have developed a tool for developing character personalities through random table selection. Please check it out

I've also made a similar tool for plot creation and development, which you can find here.

#4 cparadis

cparadis

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

I'd be interested.

#5 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

I think I might be interested too. It is always fun to write when you reach the "flow of writing".

I can also offer the Daily Empire as a hosting site for all the scenarios as well as my limited skills in layout editor.

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#6 Captain Fluffy

Captain Fluffy

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

I'd give this a go. Last year life kind of got in the way and I ended up writing my submission the day before the deadline. Maybe this time I can actually have enough time to proof-read it!

Give me more fluff and less rules

Hear me on the Tabletop Chronicles Podcast
https://itunes.apple...ast/id670638100

#7 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

If I have time I would finish converting the Steward of Grauwerk to general use I would submit it.  It's about 14000 words, including handouts etc.

Rob

#8 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:10 AM

I'm absolutely interested in participating this year. I already have a rough scenario outline planned.

#9 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

Ok, then I am putting all of you to task:

• Outline or first rough submission by August 31st.
  • Final deadline:  October 31st

Here is the suggested way of doing things:

Assumptions: It is assumed that GMs running the scenario have access to the Core set and Adventurer’s Toolkit. References beyond those should be summarized in a sidebar where possible.

Preferred Scenario Content: Length should be 10+ pages or at least 5,000 words.

Formatting Recommendations: 11 or 12 point readable fonts, 2-column except for appendix, maps or handouts, and 1 inch margins maximum. Skill checks are most helpful to GMs if marked in bold.  Read Aloud Text should be in italics and it is stressed that it paint a brief background to an encounter. Title page should also include your name(s), a brief blurb about the scenario, and legal disclaimer (see end).

Standard suggested layout: 

·         “How to use this scenario” section.  Typically includes:  Minimum character rank/advances suggestion, summary of components included, special references to products other than the Warhammer Fantasy Core Boxed Set, etc.

·         Course of expected play (note this is not a requirement of the flow of the scenario, but it helps GMs plan and organize).  It is oftentimes arranged in a step-by-step fashion.  It is useful to indicate major clues that need to be discovered or things to be accomplished.

·         Scenario Background.  It is suggested that this be limited to relevant information leading up to when the PCs become involved.  This sometimes includes a timeline.

·         Act and Encounter organization of official scenarios is typical of most submissions, but not required if you feel your scenario would be better served by doing things a different way.

·         Creature and NPC Stat Block format: Most creatures and non-player characters can simply be referenced by page for Tome of Adventure.  Other creatures should be listed in a side-bar.  They may be referenced by page as well, but not all GMs will have access to all products. A sample stat block formatting document is uploaded at RPGGeek.com.

Send me your submission(s) directly via these forums (Emirikol).

Somewhere in your submission (preferably at the bottom of your title page) should be the following disclaimer:

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay © Games Workshop Limited 1986, 2005. This edition © Games Workshop Limited 2009. Games Workshop, Warhammer, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, the foregoing marks’ respective logos and all associated marks, logos, places, names, creatures, races and race insignia/devices/logos/symbols, vehicles, locations, weapons, units and unit insignia, characters, products and illustrations from the Warhammer World and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay game setting are either ®, TM and/or © Games Workshop Ltd 1986-2009, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. This edition published under license to Fantasy Flight Publishing Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are trademarks of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

What happens to the entries, both the winner and the other entries? Who won last year's contest? Is there a template that should be used for format of entries?

HERE ARE LAST YEARS ENTRIES AND WINNERS:  http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?showtopic=74348

Edited by Emirikol, 20 July 2013 - 05:24 PM.

• Pedro Lunaris and Ghazi like this

#10 Johann Rowlocks

Johann Rowlocks

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

I think you could think about crowd sourcing the prize up a bit to raise the stakes. I would be happy to paypal (or something) a further $20 to Emirikol for the gift certificate prize and would challenge those who want to see this go off but haven't the time to submit themselves to do likewise... Would this be welcome Emirikol?

#11 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

Sure, we could do something like that.  The way I did the last one, I just emailed the winner a digital gift card. That would work great for anyone wishing to pledge something like that and we can give more instructions as the time arises.

I suppose if enough money was put up, we would get more entries.   :)

I've already started working on my submission, but I would excuse myself from winning, just because I like to contribute to the hobby in a meaningful way. 

SO, if any of you want to pledge anything $10+ to the winner, I'll send you an official copy of Day Late, Shilling short as well after the contest is over.  All you've got to do is pledge it, and at the end, we'll just have you email a $ gift card to the winner.

The reason we fans are doing this is again because we enjoy writing, FFG doesn't put on a contest like other companies did, and we firmly believe that more scenarios helps us all.

Best, 

Jay H

(p.s. you can all thank Mr Sarkar for having gotten us all of those DLSS copies to distribute)

Edited by Emirikol, 28 July 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#12 Johann Rowlocks

Johann Rowlocks

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:35 PM

Okay - I pledge a $20.00 Gift card to the winner as well and encourage other to do the same!

#13 No:12

No:12

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

Hi,

I'd like to enter too please, and happy to contribute cash to the cause. Might need some help with the tech behind the gift card but the will is there!

#14 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Bump

jh

#15 JA_42

JA_42

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:16 AM

Hello, i don't know if i've enough time to write (and read by some English friend to translate, i'm not fluent), but i'll try.
and i'll ask my own company (gaming one, in France) because maybe i've an idea of gift i Can add

#16 Ghazi

Ghazi

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:51 AM

As a third place prize, I will offer up a near mint copy of the Rogue Trader rulebook.  (Unless, miraculously I were to win third place, in which case this would go to the 4th place writer).

#17 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

Are any of you having trouble coming up with an idea for your basic outline?  I'd like to suggest that you randomly roll for a couple of beasts or random careers to stimulate your ideas for involved NPCs and monsters.  Another great idea is to take an Adventure Hook from the Creature Guide or other WFRP product (2nd edition was great for this) and adapt an idea from there.

jh

Edited by Emirikol, 17 August 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#18 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

The recommended submission of a skeletal outline (meaning just the basic idea) is Sunday.  It is not  a requirement in any fashion, but just a recommendation to keep you on track.

Ideally they are posted in the GMs forum for feedback.

Jay

#19 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

I have a nearly complete draft of the Steward of Grauwerk to send to you if you like.

Rob

• Emirikol likes this

#20 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

Sure.  You've got my email. :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS