Seal of the crown

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 orion_kurnous

orion_kurnous

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Hello , i have a question over this card.

Text:

Decree, Condition

Attach to your House card. If you are not running an agenda Seal of the Crown gains: 'Players draw 1 additional card during draw phase.

After a player draws 1 or more cards through another card effect, that player must choose and discard 1 card from his or her hand.'

Many friends of mine have the opinion that this card have 2 efects:

1) If you don´t have agenda you draw.

2) If any player draws through another card efect discard a card.

Now the question or problem its that my friends have the opinion that if you have an Agenda and play this, you must discard if you draw through a card efect,

I dont like discuss with my friends its for that i like that ktom tell something about this im tired of explain this.

Thanks.

#2 Crevic

Crevic

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

You are correct in that the card has two effects, however, if you are running an agenda, Seal of the Crown gains none of that text.  Both effects are inside of the quotations.

• -Istaril likes this

#3 celric

celric

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

I'm looking at this text from the rules Page 9 - 

Draw: 
(1.1) Drawing Multiple Cards 
When a player draws multiple cards (e.g., by 
drawing 2 cards during his draw phase, or due 
to a card effect like that of Insidious Ways 
(CORE L163), he is considered to be drawing 
them one at a time, not all at once. This is 
important for effects that may trigger by a card 
being drawn.

Since each drawn card is considered an individual event, would this allow Seal of the Crown to discard more than one card?.

Let's say my opponent won a challenge with Insidious Ways ("If you win the challenge, draw 2 cards"), would Seal of the Crown trigger off each drawn card for a net gain of 0 cards or would it only discard 1 card instead?

#4 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

Crevic has the right of it. Because of where the quotes are placed in the card text, both effects (1. All players draw an extra card in the draw phase; and 2. All players must discard 1 card for each draw effect they use) are "turned on/off" together by the controller of the attachment having an agenda.

The quotation marks indicate that everything after the word "gains" requires the attachment's controller to have no agenda. The cards is "all or nothing," and does absolutely nothing if its controller is playing an agenda.

It might be worth double checking to see if the quotation marks are in the same place in the Spanish language cards if you are not playing with the English text versions.

#5 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

Since each drawn card is considered an individual event, would this allow Seal of the Crown to discard more than one card?.

Let's say my opponent won a challenge with Insidious Ways ("If you win the challenge, draw 2 cards"), would Seal of the Crown trigger off each drawn card for a net gain of 0 cards or would it only discard 1 card instead?

Seal of the Crown specifically says, "After a player draws 1 or more cards through another card effect...," so it is being initiated by the resolution of the draw effect, not the act of drawing the card. So you only discard 1 card per draw effect, not matter how many cards you actually draw. It is possible to net more than 0 cards by using effects that allow you to draw more than 1 card.

If it read simply, "After a player draws a card...," THEN it would work the way you suggest, discarding 1 card for each card drawn (for a net gain of 0), even when you draw more than 1 card from a single effect.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS