Interest in Play-by-Post?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

I'm starting up a PbP game using Ark of Souls. Anybody interested? I'm looking for 4-6 players. Obviously not having read or played through AoS is a bonus, :)

I'll probably be using the oriignal, pre-errata weapon stats combined with the BC/OW combat rules, but I haven't fully decided yet.

#2 Korvis

Korvis

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

Roll20 ?

#3 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

What I do is use random stat generation and then allow up to 3 points to be switched between any given pair of stats, as long as they are not taken below 32 or over 50. That avoids min-maxing, but also keeps utterly unviable characters out.

EDIT: hmm maybe I misunderstood your question.

Edited by bogi_khaosa, 14 July 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#4 TormDK

TormDK

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

He is asking if you will be using the Roll20.net website :)

#5 Korvis

Korvis

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

Yeah, sorry for not being more articulate.  I recently joined a game there from a thread started on another forum.  No need for TeamSpeak or Ventrillo as there is a native video/audio chat built into the site.  GM's can build maps, create player tokens and so on.  My first experience playing on Roll20 as well as first game of DW.  There is a dice roll tool that you can set macros for and the GM of our game has arranged "helper" sessions to get our characters rolled up and set up our macros based on our loadouts, stats and modifiers.  It's pretty cool and since everyone has to roll up on the site, there's no "invulnerable/unbelievable" Marine characters.  We rolled 10 times and threw out the lowest and placed our numbers where we wanted on the sheet.  Same for Armor and associated histories and such as well as the rest of the stats.

IMO, it's a great tool for GM's but it's pretty fun for players too.

#6 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

I was planning on doing it on rpol.net -- my computer doesn't even have a video or audio feed set up.

#7 Korvis

Korvis

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

Video and or mic audio isn't required, it's just something that is available through the site without having to run another app/program in the background.  Text chat is along the right side for everyone and the "Chat" is automatically archived so anyone in that game can go back and review anything that went on....saves some note taking, just scroll up.  Even when the game isn't currently being played, players can log in and check the Chat Archive to get caught up if the miss a session or just to refresh their memory prior to an upcoming session starting.  It's pretty flexible and best of all.....FREE.  It just runs best on Chrome too rather than IE.

Was just offering an alternative.  I'd not heard of it until recently and I think it's a GREAT idea.  I've not heard of rpol.net and maybe it's similar but different. 

#8 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

Well chat won't really work likely, because 1) I normally do this at work :) and 2) I live in a much different timezone from most otehr players.

#9 Korvis

Korvis

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

The game I'm in has people on both coasts of the US as well as players in Ireland and Australia.....

#10 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Don't you need to organize a time when everybody can be online at once?

#11 Korvis

Korvis

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

GM has coordinated it and is keeping in contact with everyone and scheduling time windows for the group to meet for a session.  I just maintain contact with the GM by the means established (forum threads, message feature at Roll20 and email) and log in during the window.  I'm not saying it's easy...it's just the conditions of the group currently assembled.  It covers the geographical gap quite well (Roll20) but the time zone coordination and peoples time availability to play is something a website just cannot do.....human factor.

#12 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

Anyway, I'll be using rpol.net, because this seems logistically complicated. :) anybody interested? I need 4-5 people.

#13 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

I'm in! Do you accept custom Chapters?

#14 TormDK

TormDK

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

I'd like to try it if possible. I'm on GMT+1

#15 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

If we're just playing PbP,, time difference issues shouldn't be a problem.

As far as custom chapters go, I would prefer to go with things out of the box (book), since such things require vetting from me and hence more work, and I work 14-hour days so I try to keep things down.

So, two people? Ideally I'd like 4 or 5. Hopefully people who both know the rules pretty well and haven't read the adventure. :)

Edited by bogi_khaosa, 15 July 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#16 Jargal

Jargal

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Never used rpol.net, but I can try.

#17 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:05 AM

Its fine with me. I'll probably go with some successor Chapter and see where that leads me. 

#18 Hampulina93

Hampulina93

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

I'd like to join.

#19 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

Ok give me a couple of days and when my work deadline is met I'll contact you.

I'd ideally like 5 people; one should be an Apothecary for obvious reasons and the adventure pretty much demands either a Tach-Marine or somebody else with tech skills (like an Iron Hands or Salamander), somebody who can serve as a poor man's techmarine if need be.

#20 Rikkazen

Rikkazen

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

I would love to join this game if you still have room for another player.

My preferred chapter would be Black Templars, but if I'm needed to play a different chapter for role purposes, I'm fine with it.

Currently playing: Black Crusade, Only War.

"The moment we love, the world has something to use against us."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS