Hyperspace, how does it work?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 korjik

korjik

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

So, I'm wondering how the Empire or anyone else maintains control of space, given the realities of Hyperspace...

Are ships in Hyperspace detectable?

Are they interceptable (short of having a deployable sun)?

and given as any ship with a Hyperspace drive can simply jump, how do pursuits work?

I'd recommend looking on Wookieepedia for the details on hyperspace, but to answer your questions more generally:

Ships in hyperspace can't be detected, but hyperspace signatures can, so you can see where a ship has jumped and try to guess where it's jumped too (this is why, when trying to escape, ships will often plot a short jump, drop out of hyperspace, then make another jump or series of jumps before heading toward their real destination).

There are also Interdictor ships that the Empire (and other entities) use to pull ships out of hyperspace; basically, it creates a giant mass shadow to force a ship's failsafes to kick in and drop out of hyperspace--basically tricking the ship into thinking it's going to hit a sun or something so that it forces a stop.

Ships in hyperspace can be detected. You see it in Return of the Jedi

#42 yeti1069

yeti1069

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

As a further note, many systems/planets have designated approach lanes or sectors for incoming ships dropping from hyperspace--usually somewhere far enough away from heavy traffic areas as to not run into sub-light traffic in the area, and obviously outside the mass shadow of the planet(s), but often also somewhere that has a strategic defense of some sort (could be a defense platform in orbit, turbolaser emplacements on a nearby moon or asteroids, or a pocket within an asteroid field, etc...). Entering from a non-sanctioned location may result in fines, or even immediate military action (them disabling or destroying your ship).

This also means that foes who want to lay a trap can set up ships at that jump in point to intercept. Normally, when ships come out of hyperspace their weapons and shields aren't powered up, which makes them easy targets. Savvy smugglers or agents may anticipate such a move and take precautionary measures.

Starship chases will often occur in atmosphere or in a mass shadow where jumping is impossible, or when there's a reason to not jump, such as not wanting to leave someone or something behind, though, often, the better strategy is to make a short jump away, turn around, and jump back to another point. Remember that most of the chases in the original Star Wars films were due to the hyperdrive of the Millennium Falcon being non-functional (damaged from a shot, equipment failure due to all the jury-rigging Han and Chewie did on the thing, or sabotage). 

#43 MrDodger

MrDodger

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:31 PM

Didn't think this was thread-worthy, so I'll ask here.

Hypothetical:  You have an adventure that involves a shipboard incident during the "6-12 hours" it takes to fly, sublight, from one planet to another in a system.

What is to stop the players leaving planet A, making a micro-jump (maybe half a light year) into deep space, then jumping straight back to planet B, a trip taking a few minutes or so?

#44 hencook

hencook

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

Didn't think this was thread-worthy, so I'll ask here.

Hypothetical:  You have an adventure that involves a shipboard incident during the "6-12 hours" it takes to fly, sublight, from one planet to another in a system.

What is to stop the players leaving planet A, making a micro-jump (maybe half a light year) into deep space, then jumping straight back to planet B, a trip taking a few minutes or so?

Let's get this straight:

You wrote this super cool adventure for your players, but the hyperdrive element of Star Wars is preventing you from using that story because the story can be so easily subverted using hyperspace. What's more is that there are many restrictions; The story has to take 6-12 hours, and the destination planet is in the same system.

It would be great to know exactly what the incident is, in order to explain why they could not simply use hyperspace to get to planet B, but I will try.

A) Something is stopping the ship from entering hyperspace. There can be multiple sources of gravity, such an asteroid field, interdictors, or perhaps a black hole with a lenient event horizon that disables hyperdrive.

B)There is something disabling the hyperdrive from funcitoning. This could be some antagonist element that takes control of the ship (an AI, a space pirate, or faulty pit droids), or the main hyperdrive could be down. You could force the team to go on backup, which while it is 13 times slower, is unlikely to slow your team down if the planets are >12h in distance.

A different ship component can be down that also stops the ship from entering hyperspace. The power cell, possibly the reactor core, and the warp vortex stabilizer are all essential components for safe hyperdrive travel. If the navicom's star charts are out of date in a relatively unknown system, it can be unsafe to do a quick jump. Or the hyperdrive switch is broken off.

C) Something in deep space is preventing the team from making that microjump. A deep space anomaly that you're going to have to pull out of the rabbit hat will do here.

Is that what you were looking for?

#45 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

Yeah, if I felt it was really important I'd say something like "this system has a weird ion signature that makes it tricky to jump to hyperspace within it", or that it's in a nebula or something like that. 

Like, you could do the hyperspace jump from planet to planet but it has the potential to damage your hyperdrive because of 'atmospheric conditions in outer space' technobabble reasons.

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#46 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

Why not suggest that the cost of hyperspace travel (maintenance, fuel, upkeep) is such that it's not economically feasible to use a hyperdrive to travel within a system?

• hencook likes this

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

#47 MrDodger

MrDodger

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:17 AM

Couple of things - I know (I think!) you can't Hyperspace within a system from planet to planet. Hencook, lots of good stuff but I was really wondering why people don't do it, rather than stopping them from doing it. The fifth or tenth time I cook up an excuse is going to get old. I agree for a one-off adventure reason though, this is the way to go.

Yoshiyahu this seems reasonable. I was looking more for the rationale as to why people in-universe don't just use this shortcut all the time, instead of 12 hour slogs in real space.

Cheers all :)

#48 hencook

hencook

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

Couple of things - I know (I think!) you can't Hyperspace within a system from planet to planet. Hencook, lots of good stuff but I was really wondering why people don't do it, rather than stopping them from doing it. The fifth or tenth time I cook up an excuse is going to get old. I agree for a one-off adventure reason though, this is the way to go.

Yoshiyahu this seems reasonable. I was looking more for the rationale as to why people in-universe don't just use this shortcut all the time, instead of 12 hour slogs in real space.

Cheers all :)

Oooh, that's a good one..

If you have a system's star with a massive gravitational pull, and have the planets counter this with a fast revolution speed, then the ship cannot go to hyperspace without exiting the entire system before hand, which can take a good amount of time. That, or have the planets be relatively close to the star. Remember, weird things happen in space all the time. You can also have the planet itself exerting a lot of gravity due to its size.

Recommended reading on making your planets weird...

http://io9.com/on-ad...yste-1527176401

It's never actually clear as to what range a ship must traverse before it is out of the effects of gravity, so just BS it.

wait wait wait... Why didn't the Death Star use their hyperdrive and drop out of hyperspace in front of Yavin?... Navicomputers are supposed to have info on a planet's whereabouts, right? That's how navicoms exist? They computate rotational patterns so that you don't run into anything?

#49 MrDodger

MrDodger

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

True, but we also saw the Rebel fleet drop right on top of the second Death Star. I think the real answer therefore is "plot decides", but I didn't want to just artificially stop them doing it over and over if there's a legitimate reason for people not doing it. If you see what I mean :)

Your point is well taken though. I imagine that Yavin stamps a much larger gravitational footprint than, say, Ryloth, meaning you would have to enter the system further away then fly in. Which is also what the Falcon does with Yavin.

Edited by MrDodger, 04 March 2014 - 08:48 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS