DA RULES SAY:
The Campaign Phase
After each quest of a campaign, there is a Campaign phase during which
players may make decisions on how to upgrade their heroes and prepare
for the next quest. It is important to note that most quests have two
encounters and the Campaign phase does not take place until the entire
quest is finished. During the Campaign phase, all players may spend
experience points to enhance their abilities. Also, the heroes may visit
the shop in Arhynn to purchase new equipment. The following steps are
performed during each Campaign phase.
1. Receive gold from Search Cards: Record the total gold value of
every Search card the heroes acquired over the course of this quest
on the Campaign sheet (even if the Search card was used during the
quest). Then return all Search cards to the deck (even if the heroes
didn’t use their abilities). The heroes are assumed to sell their newly
discovered treasures in Arhynn.
2. Cleanup: All heroes recover all damage and all fatigue. The overlord
combines his draw and discard pile into one deck. All Condition cards
are discarded, all effects end, the map is disassembled, and the quest is
generally cleaned up as the players prepare for the next one.
3. Receive Rewards: The overlord player and hero players each receive
one experience point, regardless of who won the quest (as listed in the
Quest Guide). Record this on the Campaign sheet. The winner of the
quest receives additional rewards as noted in the Quest Guide.
4. Spend Experience Points: Players may spend any experience points
they have earned at this time. Experience points are spent on new
skills for heroes and new Overlord cards for the overlord.
5. Shopping: Hero players may spend any gold they have acquired to
purchase new Shop Item cards (see “Shopping” on page 20).
6. Choose Next Quest: The winner of the quest chooses which quest,
from those available, will be played next (see “Choose Next Quest” on
7. Set Up Quest: The players begin setting up the next quest following
the standard rules for setting up a quest. The overlord player should
remember to shuffle his Overlord deck, including any new cards just
purchased, to create a new deck before drawing his starting hand.
8. Travel: Heroes travel to the next quest location
Seems to me 3 of the rumor cards have to be played before the players get their gold.