34 replies to this topic

#21 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

The Internal Rot skill reads:

Internal Rot: XP Cost: 2, Fatigue Cost: 0
   Each time a monster becomes hexed, you may place 1 additional hex token on that monster.
   Each of your attacks with a magic weapon targeting a hexed monster gains Pierce 2.

Does this imply any time a monster is hexed, or only the first time?

This is one of those "always on" skills.  "Each time a monster becomes hexed" means each time.  Each attack yo make against a hexed monster gains Pierce 2, for all eternity or until the game ends, whichever comes first =P

Question #2

The Plague Cloud skill reads:

Plague Cloud: XP Cost: 3, Fatigue Cost: 3

Action: Perform an attack with a magic weapon. This attack targets each hexed monster in your line of sight and ignores range. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Before rolling dice for the attack, each monster adjacent to a target monster is hexed.

Since the attack targets multiple hexed monsters, can I use Enfeebling Hex to discard hex tokens from each of those monsters?

Yes.  The attack "targets" each monster, so you may use Enfeebling Hex to discard tokens from any of them.

If so, would the discarded hex tokens contribute overall damage to the attack, or only damage to the monster from which I discarded the hex tokens? For example, I use Plague Cloud targeting two monsters, where monster A has 2 hex tokens, and monster B only has 1. Can I discard all of the hex tokens to deal +3 damage to both monsters, or would it only deal +2 damage to monster A, and +1 to monster B.

(Relevant text from the Enfeebling Hex skill: "When performing an attack targeting a hexed monster, a hero may discard any number of hex tokens before spending surges. The attack gains +1 heart for each hex token discarded.")

"The attack gains +1 [Heart] for each hex token discarded," therefore the bonus damage from each hex token discarded will apply to all affected monsters.  Note "affected," not just "targeted."  This is indeed a powerful combo.

Also, what happens if I add Blast to the attack (e.g. with the Lightning Strike rune)? Would the blast apply to every targeted monster as well?

This is a bit vague, but I believe the blast radius would emanate from every targeted monster, yes.  The text for the Blast effect only refers to a singular target space, but I believe that's simply because FFG was assuming the attack would only have one target.  They do that sort of thing.  You can ask FFG if you want an official answer.

Any additional monsters caught in the blast would be "affected" but not "targted."  Therefore they will suffer the same additional damage from any hex tokens discarded via Enfeebling Hex, but you cannot discard hex tokens from these monsters as they are not "targets."  (It could happen that a monster has hex tokens, but is not within LoS of the Hexer, therefore is not targted by Plague Cloud directly but may be close enough to get caught in the Blast from an actual target.)

Also note that there is no "affected twice."  In the event that multiple Blast radii "overlap" on a single space, any monster in that space is only hit once by the attack.

#22 Frozen_Firebat

Frozen_Firebat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

The Internal Rot skill reads:

Internal Rot: XP Cost: 2, Fatigue Cost: 0
   Each time a monster becomes hexed, you may place 1 additional hex token on that monster.
   Each of your attacks with a magic weapon targeting a hexed monster gains Pierce 2.

Does this imply any time a monster is hexed, or only the first time?

This is one of those "always on" skills.  "Each time a monster becomes hexed" means each time.  Each attack yo make against a hexed monster gains Pierce 2, for all eternity or until the game ends, whichever comes first =P

Question #2

The Plague Cloud skill reads:

Plague Cloud: XP Cost: 3, Fatigue Cost: 3

Action: Perform an attack with a magic weapon. This attack targets each hexed monster in your line of sight and ignores range. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Before rolling dice for the attack, each monster adjacent to a target monster is hexed.

Since the attack targets multiple hexed monsters, can I use Enfeebling Hex to discard hex tokens from each of those monsters?

Yes.  The attack "targets" each monster, so you may use Enfeebling Hex to discard tokens from any of them.

If so, would the discarded hex tokens contribute overall damage to the attack, or only damage to the monster from which I discarded the hex tokens? For example, I use Plague Cloud targeting two monsters, where monster A has 2 hex tokens, and monster B only has 1. Can I discard all of the hex tokens to deal +3 damage to both monsters, or would it only deal +2 damage to monster A, and +1 to monster B.

(Relevant text from the Enfeebling Hex skill: "When performing an attack targeting a hexed monster, a hero may discard any number of hex tokens before spending surges. The attack gains +1 heart for each hex token discarded.")

"The attack gains +1 [Heart] for each hex token discarded," therefore the bonus damage from each hex token discarded will apply to all affected monsters.  Note "affected," not just "targeted."  This is indeed a powerful combo.

Also, what happens if I add Blast to the attack (e.g. with the Lightning Strike rune)? Would the blast apply to every targeted monster as well?

This is a bit vague, but I believe the blast radius would emanate from every targeted monster, yes.  The text for the Blast effect only refers to a singular target space, but I believe that's simply because FFG was assuming the attack would only have one target.  They do that sort of thing.  You can ask FFG if you want an official answer.

Any additional monsters caught in the blast would be "affected" but not "targted."  Therefore they will suffer the same additional damage from any hex tokens discarded via Enfeebling Hex, but you cannot discard hex tokens from these monsters as they are not "targets."  (It could happen that a monster has hex tokens, but is not within LoS of the Hexer, therefore is not targted by Plague Cloud directly but may be close enough to get caught in the Blast from an actual target.)

Also note that there is no "affected twice."  In the event that multiple Blast radii "overlap" on a single space, any monster in that space is only hit once by the attack.

Thanks for the response.

That's how I thought Plague Cloud worked, which seems to give the Hexer really amazing damage potential if the conditions are just right. Imagine attacking a group of monsters with Plague Cloud and discarding a total of 8 hex tokens (not too hard to imagine) for +8 on the attack without even taking your dice roll into account.

As for blast, I agree with your assessment that the blast would emanate from each targeted monster. Though I noticed that the Rune Master has a similar skill (Break the Rune) that also targets multiple monsters, yet includes a clause that the attack "cannot be affected by Blast". Perhaps a similar note was mistakenly left off of Plague Cloud.

I think you misunderstood my first question though. My fault for not explaining it well. Regarding Internal Rot, I was specifically wondering about the first half of the skill and the wording "Each time a monster becomes hexed...". At first glance it seems to imply: "any time you give a monster a hex token, give that monster two hex tokens instead." but in that case I feel like it would have been worded "Each time a monster is hexed...", or "Each time you hex monster...". Instead, it seems like it should be whenever a non-hexed monster becomes hexed, or when a monster goes from having 0 hex tokens to > 0. In that sense, it would only trigger when you hex a monster who wasn't already hexed.

#23 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

A3: Initially I was thinking that the monster would have to target a hero, since normally monsters must target heroes and this ability doesn't actually say the monster can target other monsters.  Nor does it say the monster is considered a hero for this attack or anything weird like that.

But then I re-read the rules for attacking on page 12.  They say that the attacking player must declare a space that contains an enemy figure for the attack.  I don't know that any player can really claim enmity against plastic figures, but assuming this sentence is to have any logical meaning, I'm inclined to think that this means the monster in fact must target another monster (LTs included, of course.)

Here's the part where it should've clicked:

The card does not say "have that monster perform an attack", it says "perform an attack with [that monster]." This is similar to the Necromancer skill Army of Death that says "Perform an attack with your Reanimate." I believe FFG has stated somewhere (again, I can't remember where) that this attack originates from the caster, but uses the stats of the Familiar. So it can almost be treated like you are wielding that figure as a weapon instead of your own weapons.

That said, this should theoretically allow for personal, non-weapon abilities to be used in combination with the attack. This is probably something to clarify with FFG, though.

#24 piligrim

piligrim

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

I received additional clarifications from FFG concerning my first two questions.  Their answers are as follows:

Question #1: "... Hex 1 monster within 3 spaces of your target."  Can you choose to hex the actual target monster?  Obviously, it is within 3 spaces of itself, but the way it is phrased "seems" to indicate a difference between the target and all other monsters within 3 spaces of itself.  Thoughts?

FFG Answer: The target monster may be chosen as the monster to hex.

TARGET! 

Target monster OR monster in target field (space)? If the monster can be "target" then next dispute is on way:

EHEEDDDEELE

EEEEDDDEEEE

In that simple scheme "E" is an Empty space; "H" is the Hexer hero; "D" is Shadow Dragon; "L" is Lieutenant; Yellow "D" is the Target space which attacking player declared.

Question is: Can the Lieutenant be hexed if he stand on 5 spaces from the "target field (space)" but on 3 spaces from the "target monster" or not?

In card is written: "Hex 1 monster within 3 spaces of you target.

In Basic rules is written: "... and declares the target of the attack (a space containing an enemy figure)." (Page 9 in 1. Declare Weapon and Target)

But in that "answer" is written: "target monster"...

I think that such dualism is inadmissible but in the same Basic rules in Example on Page 12 we can read: "The zombie is not in Jain's line of sight and she cannot target it with her attack."

In "Plague Cloud" mishmash is the same: "... adjacent to a target monster is hexed."

So. What is the damn TARGET end up "space" or "monster" (figure)?

I love this game but why, WHY F.A.Q. should be with the size of a Dickensian novel? 

On top of all, this is the Second Expansion... Shame!

#25 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:39 AM

TARGET! 

Target monster OR monster in target field (space)? If the monster can be "target" then next dispute is on way:

EHEEDDDEELE

EEEEDDDEEEE

In that simple scheme "E" is an Empty space; "H" is the Hexer hero; "D" is Shadow Dragon; "L" is Lieutenant; Yellow "D" is the Target space which attacking player declared.

Question is: Can the Lieutenant be hexed if he stand on 5 spaces from the "target field (space)" but on 3 spaces from the "target monster" or not?

No, you cannot hex the LT.  "Your target" is the space, not the monster.  The target space must contain an enemy figure, but the target is still the space.

To say that "a figure is targeted" means "this figure is occupying a targeted space."  Likewise, the phrase "target monster" means "a monster occupying a targeted space."

(Are there actually any cards that say "target monster", or is that just a convenience used by us fans?)

#26 piligrim

piligrim

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

To say that "a figure is targeted" means " this figure is occupying a targeted space." Likewise, the phrase "target monster" means "a monster occupying a targeted space."

Yes, I understand that, but we talking about a RULES, not about a free conversation between gamers or about flavor texts. Rules are the Laws of the game, and they must be unambiguous and not subject to interpretation!

If we put the sign of equivalence between the Target and the Monster (like FFG do in some cases), under the condition that the shape and size of the monsters are variable, will achieve only a Chaos!

(Are there actually any cards that say "target monster", or is that just a convenience used by us fans?)

Please, judge for yourself. These are exact citations:

ACCURSED ARMS: Exhaust this card during your turn to choose 1 hero adjacent to a hexed monster. The chosen hero may immediately perform 1 attack targeting a hexed monster.

Plague Cloud: Perform an attack with a Magic weapon. This attack targets each hexed monster in your line of sight and ignores range. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Before rolling dice for the attack, each monster adjacent to a target monster is hexed.

1. Each hexed monster in LOS is a Target.

2. Any monster adjacent to a Target (hexed monsters in LOS) becomes hexed Before dices rolling (I.e. also becomes a target).

3. Range is ignored.

4. That Hero isn't a simple Hexer. Hi is a God and with one successful attack can clear the entire field from any monsters...

Edited by piligrim, 20 August 2013 - 08:47 AM.

#27 Husker949

Husker949

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

If i remember correctly, FFG had clarified in the FAQ that when targeting a large sized monster, you actually target a space that it occupies that you have LOS to and can make a legitimate attack.

#28 piligrim

piligrim

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

If i remember correctly, FFG had clarified in the FAQ that when targeting a large sized monster, you actually target a space that it occupies that you have LOS to and can make a legitimate attack.

Yes that is correct!

But how do you interpret the phrase "each monster adjacent to a target monster"? And then imagine one dragon on 6 spaces... And another one adjacent to him... And all monsters adjacent to them...

The issue here, does not affect the target, but things related with her. That is something different.

For comparison, in definition for Blast, all is completely clear: " On a Blast attack, all spaces adjacent to the targeted space are also affected by the attack."

Now, please imagine little different definition: "On a Blast attack, all spaces adjacent to the targeted monster are also affected by the attack."

I just replaced "space" with "monster" and look what happened... 

Additionally, Blast affect figures - Plague cloud affects only the monsters.

I not talk about Fair and Unfair or about Overpowered hero. Let hexer can kill all monsters with one attack - does not matter. If that is possible, Players will kill the Hexer because in this way he will destroy not only the monsters but the whole game.

I just find very unacceptable such bending and blurring of the rules moreover, in a second expansion.

Edited by piligrim, 20 August 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#29 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

There is an overlord card called "Uncontrolled Power" that trolls Dazra pretty hard core. With that one card (bouncing it back to my hand with Bloodlust and Dark Ritual) I kept her from EVER setting any hexes on my monsters for the whole quest. There are ways for an OL to keep a very powerful hero like her in check.

"Bide your time and hold out hope."

~Count of Monte Cristo

NotesFromTheOverlord.tumblr.com

#30 piligrim

piligrim

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:31 AM

Maybe you mean "Unholy Ritual" (who after clarification gives 2 additional cards)?

I'm so curious how the card "Plague cloud" is played in your group?

#31 jerry1989

jerry1989

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

Some question about hexer:

Is it possible to hex more monster with ONE attack? (i mean use two surges to hex two monsters) i think that it isnt possible, but at the same time, its rly hard for me to have hexed more then one monster at a time (bcs rest of group always kill it or i use hex to activate some other ability, so its hard to efectively use Plague Cloud). Do u have same problem or can u share some types about how to hex more then one monster easily? (other then "spasm" ability) maybe iam missing something in that mechanic). 

Fell comand: May i wait until hexed monster walk some distance to activate this ability or i have to use it directly when it is activate by OL?

Apologize for my english and thx for the answers:-)

#32 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Is it possible to hex more monster with ONE attack? (i mean use two surges to hex two monsters) i think that it isnt possible, but at the same time, its rly hard for me to have hexed more then one monster at a time (bcs rest of group always kill it or i use hex to activate some other ability, so its hard to efectively use Plague Cloud). Do u have same problem or can u share some types about how to hex more then one monster easily? (other then "spasm" ability) maybe iam missing something in that mechanic). 

In general, each surge ability can only be activated once per attack. So as a general rule, no. Plague Spasm doesn't allow you to hex another monster, it just is an effect that can be used with already hexed monsters.

For spreading your Hexes, your options are Enfeebling Hex (the standard to apply a hex to a monster), Viral Hex (possibly doubling the number of hexed monsters near you), and Plague Cloud (Spreading hexes to adjacent monsters)

Fell comand: May i wait until hexed monster walk some distance to activate this ability or i have to use it directly when it is activate by OL?

According to RAW, no. The monster is commanded when chosen, before normal activation. After the attack, it activates as normal, so Fel Command can't be used to interrupt the middle of a monster's activation.

#33 Kharan

Kharan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

I think you misunderstood my first question though. My fault for not explaining it well. Regarding Internal Rot, I was specifically wondering about the first half of the skill and the wording "Each time a monster becomes hexed...". At first glance it seems to imply: "any time you give a monster a hex token, give that monster two hex tokens instead." but in that case I feel like it would have been worded "Each time a monster is hexed...", or "Each time you hex monster...". Instead, it seems like it should be whenever a non-hexed monster becomes hexed, or when a monster goes from having 0 hex tokens to > 0. In that sense, it would only trigger when you hex a monster who wasn't already hexed.

I would like to know the answer to this. Not only to clarify that every time monster receives a hex token, Internal Rot gives it one additional token, but also to clarify if Internal Rot affects the number of tokens distributed by other skill cards. For example:

Viral Hex is used and there's 2 hexed monsters inside 3 spaces of the hexer. The 2 hex tokens from Viral Hex are placed on one of these monsters, with Internal Rot doubling both tokens, giving the monster in question a total of 5 tokens.

Another example would be Internal Rot combined with Plague Cloud. If there's 3 hexed monsters each next to each other, Cloud would distribute 6 tokens with Rot doubling that to 12 tokens. Would those examples be correct?

#34 Light Bright

Light Bright

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

Yes that is correct!
But how do you interpret the phrase "each monster adjacent to a target monster"? And then imagine one dragon on 6 spaces... And another one adjacent to him... And all monsters adjacent to them...
The issue here, does not affect the target, but things related with her. That is something different.
For comparison, in definition for Blast, all is completely clear: " On a Blast attack, all spaces adjacent to the targeted space are also affected by the attack."

Now, please imagine little different definition: "On a Blast attack, all spaces adjacent to the targeted monster are also affected by the attack."

I just replaced "space" with "monster" and look what happened... 
Additionally, Blast affect figures - Plague cloud affects only the monsters.
I not talk about Fair and Unfair or about Overpowered hero. Let hexer can kill all monsters with one attack - does not matter. If that is possible, Players will kill the Hexer because in this way he will destroy not only the monsters but the whole game.
I just find very unacceptable such bending and blurring of the rules moreover, in a second expansion.

Exactly why I dislike this game. All this OL and hero OP stuff gets a laugh from me. I wonder with all the complaints with the game favoring OL or Heroes if most are even playing this poorly vague written game properly.

Don't get me wrong the game is we'll imagined and thought of and I want to like it.
  • Silverhelm likes this

#35 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

Viral Hex is used and there's 2 hexed monsters inside 3 spaces of the hexer. The 2 hex tokens from Viral Hex are placed on one of these monsters, with Internal Rot doubling both tokens, giving the monster in question a total of 5 tokens.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I believe that since you are placing both tokens on a single monster, that Internal Rot would only increase that by 1, not double it. It's also possible to interpret this as being hexed twice (once from each token), but it's not how I would play it. I read it such that it is more strategic to spread things out so that you can double the tokens. That said, this is a bit vague, and is probably best to bring up to FFG via the Rules Questions link at the bottom.

Another example would be Internal Rot combined with Plague Cloud. If there's 3 hexed monsters each next to each other, Cloud would distribute 6 tokens with Rot doubling that to 12 tokens. Would those examples be correct?

In this case, Cloud would not distribute 6 tokens, it would distribute 3. Note that it does NOT read "Each targeted monster gives a hex token to each adjacent monster." It reads "Each monster adjacent to a target monster is hexed." In this case, even if they are adjacent to multiple hexed monsters, they are likely only hexed a single time (and given an additional token from Internal Rot). This one I'm fairly certain of, but it may still be a good idea to check in with FFG.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS