Familiar questions please

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DescentNoodle

DescentNoodle

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

I checked FAQ and forums but didn't find divinities answer. Please help!

Treat familiars as heroes. Does this mean that overlord takes a card when familiar is defeated? I assume if yes, only when overloads defeats one and not self destructed?

And line if sight. Saw rule on greedy. Is this the same for geolancer? He can summon a rock behind my critters?

One more while I'm at it... My son was pummeling me... And he had his entire overlord deck in hand for act two... Is there a rule for this circumstance... He laid a trap.. I passed and it said if hero passes draw card... A loop... So I failed and was done. Though I assume one doesn't stand a chance once overlord has 15 cards...

Thanks!

#2 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

Treat familiars as heroes. Does this mean that overlord takes a card when familiar is defeated? I assume if yes, only when overloads defeats one and not self destructed?

Any token "treated as a hero" counts as a hero may be targeted by Overlord cards, hero abilities and monster attacks as if it were a hero.  That is all.  The Overlord does not get to draw a card when such tokens are defeated.

And line if sight. Saw rule on greedy. Is this the same for geolancer? He can summon a rock behind my critters?

Line of sight is not required for hero abilities that aren't attacks, unless the ability says that it is.  I'm not familiar with the exact wording of the Geomancer ability in question, but if it doesn't say LoS is needed, then yes he can summon a stone behind a monster.

One more while I'm at it... My son was pummeling me... And he had his entire overlord deck in hand for act two... Is there a rule for this circumstance... He laid a trap.. I passed and it said if hero passes draw card... A loop... So I failed and was done. Though I assume one doesn't stand a chance once overlord has 15 cards...

There is nothing to prevent the overlord from stocking up on cards for the second encounter.  It's one of the cheesier things about 2E and something I'm considering a house rule for, personally.  But per RAW it's perfectly legal.

Do note, however, that the Overlord is not allowed to play two cards of the same name on the same trigger condition, so even though he is immediately re-drawing the same card (because it's the only card to draw), he cannot play it repeatedly until you fail the check.

For example, supposing the trap car din question triggered "when a hero enters an empty space."  He would be allowed to play it each time your hero entered a new space, so you would be facing the same trap card every step your hero took, but he could not play it twice if you only took one step and then stopped.  In that case, there has only been one instance of the triggering condition ("a hero enters an empty space") so there can be only one trap card of this particular name played against it.

Edited by Steve-O, 06 July 2013 - 09:31 PM.

• SolennelBern likes this

#3 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

Dang... I hadn't thought about just limping through the first encounter as an OL - not playing a single card - to get the full 15 in my hand...

Interesting thing to think about. :P

I don't think I'll play that way personally - but interesting now that I think about it - that they didn't think of an OL hand limit.

#4 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:32 AM

Note that there is an non official wiki on BGG, where many Q&As (answers given by FFG guys) are provided : http://boardgamegeek...icial_FAQ#toc57

• SolennelBern likes this
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
G. K. Chesterton

#5 Tyrosh

Tyrosh

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

I just want to step into this thread, since I am still a little unsure about my familiar. The champion class deck has some abilities in it, which provide valor tokens to heroes. Can my undead familiar collect those, too? I mean, heroes get the tokens as a result of another hero´s ability (or through activating an item), right?

Edited by Tyrosh, 16 July 2013 - 07:30 AM.

#6 chasewystone

chasewystone

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

The Champion's Horn of Courage specifically reads:  "Exhaust this card during your turn and choose another hero within 3 spaces of you.  The chosen hero gains 1 valor."

You cannot give these to a familiar, since they are not Heroes, nor are they ever treated as Heroes.  The text for the Reanimate and even the Wolf specifically state that they are to be treated as FIGURES.  Figures block line of site, and take up the space they occupy.

I'm not sure where the original poster is getting the "treat figures as heroes" statement with regards to familiars.  With the current expansions included, the Reanimate and the Wolf are treated as figures (page 18 of the rulebook explains what this means).  The Summoned Stone is treated as an obstacle (this is explained on page 18 of the rulebook, under "Terrain").  I have yet to see a familiar that has the text "treat as a Hero."  Such a familiar would feel overpowered, since it would essentially grant the player 2 turns for a single character: 2 actions for the Hero, 2 actions for the Familiar...  as it is, Familiars receive 1 Move Action and 1 Special Action, if any is listed on their card.

Edited by chasewystone, 16 July 2013 - 02:38 PM.

• Robin likes this

#7 Radish

Radish

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

"Familiars Treated as Figures

.. They may be targeted and affected by monster attacks, hero abilities and overlord cards that target a hero."

Main rulebook page 18.

Edited by Radish, 17 July 2013 - 06:55 AM.

• chasewystone likes this

#8 chasewystone

chasewystone

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

Oops!  See what happens when you don't read the instructions properly????  :P

• Kunzite likes this

#9 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:05 AM

Oops!  See what happens when you don't read the instructions properly????  :P

In fairness, the familiar cards really should say "treated as heroes" since, AFAIK, this logic does not extend to other tokens "treated as figures" unless they are explicitly "treated as heroes."  Your confusion on the subject is certainly understandable.

Dang... I hadn't thought about just limping through the first encounter as an OL - not playing a single card - to get the full 15 in my hand...

I don't think I'll play that way personally - but interesting now that I think about it - that they didn't think of an OL hand limit.

Well, the core rulebook explicitly says that the OL does not have a hand limit, IIRC.  It's not that they forgot to include a rule specifying a hand limit for OL cards, it's just that they chose to go an unusual way on that point.

#10 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:50 AM

Well, the core rulebook explicitly says that the OL does not have a hand limit, IIRC.  It's not that they forgot to include a rule specifying a hand limit for OL cards, it's just that they chose to go an unusual way on that point.

It's also the only upper hand the OL has on the heroes since monsters don't get boosts. If that means getting all your cards in your hand (which I came close a few times, but never did) to troll for later, then awesome! I think if there was a hand size it would make the OL far less powerful and maybe... MAYBE unusable. At least against really strategic heroes. 

But I also think this is a reason that there is a minimum of 15 cards in the deck. If there where even 5 less minimum that could make the OL deck really concentrated and jerky.  In one quest I had my deck so fine tuned that no hero could move anywhere without me playing something horrible on them.

"Bide your time and hold out hope."

~Count of Monte Cristo

NotesFromTheOverlord.tumblr.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS