Scary module

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Working on a module were the players enter a drifting star destroyer that has been infested by a violent alien species and has wiped out the entire imperial crew (think "Aliens" movie series), but what Star Wars species fit this description or should I create one?
  • Mark It Zero likes this

#2 Bayard91

Bayard91

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

Well nothing out of the ordinary comes to my mind at the moment other than Trandoshan slavers. I'd say there could have been a "smuggling" ship that was ordered to dock in the SD for inspection. Normal stuff. Checking papers and shipping licenses, etc. Turns out the Trandoshans had a plan of their own. Kill entire crew. Salvage what they can. Return with cargo hauler to loot the bigger equipment.

The players arrive on scene to this "derelict" Star Destroyer, and go on their own salvage operation, only to run into the Trandoshan pirates, and then have the large cargo hauler with the rest of the pirate crew arrive.

#3 Amonithil

Amonithil

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

Your best bet in my opinion is to use Rakghouls:

http://starwars.wiki...m/wiki/Rakghoul

You have the added benefit of the fact that their bites are like zombie bites, they transform those they bite or scratch. There are also the evolved Nekghouls, could quite easily have one of them leading the others, as traditional rakghouls are non-sentient. That and you can have a few survivors, and your players will never know who is infected til its too late ;)

Edited by Amonithil, 06 July 2013 - 11:27 AM.

• Kager and BillW like this

#4 AlexE

AlexE

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

Rakghouls? No way! Gotta go with Ewoks. They're tiny, furry, and inspire nothing but fear and trembling.

#5 Amonithil

Amonithil

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

Rakghouls? No way! Gotta go with Ewoks. They're tiny, furry, and inspire nothing but fear and trembling.

I had only just managed to lock the terror that are Ewoks into the farthest reaches of my mind, along with lovecraftian horrors. Now I can't stop seeing tiny furry shadows running past my door in my peripheral vision... the horror... the horror!

#6 nobble

nobble

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

rakghoul infected ewoks?   best of both worlds

• Lone Jedi, Jegergryte and Nashable like this

Here was are now.. at the middle.. more and more.. I have the feeling we are getting nowhere...slowly we are getting nowhere and that is a pleasure... it is not irritating to be where one is ... it is only irritating to think one would like to be somewhere else... if we are irritated it is not a pleasure...nothing is a pleasure if we are irritated but suddenly it is a pleasure.. and more and more it is not irritating.. originally we were nowhere and now again we  have the pleasure of slowly being nowhere

#7 Rikoshi

Rikoshi

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

You have the added benefit of the fact that their bites are like zombie bites, they transform those they bite or scratch. There are also the evolved Nekghouls, could quite easily have one of them leading the others, as traditional rakghouls are non-sentient. That and you can have a few survivors, and your players will never know who is infected til its too late ;)

Beat me to the punch. Totally seconding the rakghoul idea.

#8 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Great suggestion

Beat me to the punch. Totally seconding the rakghoul idea.

Thanks, Great suggestions! Hmm, now stats for the Nekghouls?

#9 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Should rakghouls be the option chosen (and they do work great for an "Aliens" type of scenario), somebody was considerate enough to provide EotE stats for the nasty beasties.  They were written for the Beta, so a few things might need to be tweaked, but at the very least it ought to provide a decent baseline to work with.

http://gsa.thegamern...t-the-rakghoul/

As for their viability in a "horror" scenario, GM Chris used them to great effect in his Saga Edition Alternate Universe campaign, leaving his players very much on edge.  The big trick is don't let the players (especially those that have played the first KOTOR game or read the Vector cross-over event) know what they are at first.  Try to keep their descriptions as uninformative as possible, and have the rakghouls attack under poor lightning conditions.  Perhaps the bodies rapidly dissolve into goopy bio-matter upon death, to make post-mortem identification nigh impossible?

Edited by Donovan Morningfire, 06 July 2013 - 12:47 PM.

• Kager and BillW like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#10 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Should rakghouls be the option chosen (and they do work great for an "Aliens" type of scenario), somebody was considerate enough to provide EotE stats for the nasty beasties.  They were written for the Beta, so a few things might need to be tweaked, but at the very least it ought to provide a decent baseline to work with.

http://gsa.thegamern...t-the-rakghoul/

As for their viability in a "horror" scenario, GM Chris used them to great effect in his Saga Edition Alternate Universe campaign, leaving his players very much on edge.  The big trick is don't let the players (especially those that have played the first KOTOR game or read the Vector cross-over event) know what they are at first.  Try to keep their descriptions as uninformative as possible, and have the rakghouls attack under poor lightning conditions.  Perhaps the bodies rapidly dissolve into goopy bio-matter upon death, to make post-mortem identification nigh impossible?

Terrific! Thanks!

#11 deeahchur

deeahchur

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

Rakghouls are a great choice.

For an alternative, for power gamers who think they are on top of everything, consider the Bartokk. A true conversion may have to be adapted, but the key trick about them is that unless the bodies are incinerated, even a severed limb can grow into another Bartokk and operate within their hive mind.

#12 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

I hadn't considered the Bartokk, mostly as I didn't remember they existed.

Hmm, sounds like a possible new entry for Threat Assessment is on the horizon...

• Cilionelle and Kager like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#13 The Whacko

The Whacko

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

Rakghouls of the zombies of Death Troopers could make for a great Halloween themed campaign.

#14 Rikoshi

Rikoshi

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

Another good possibility for a horror confrontation is Mnggal-Mnggal; it's less along the "Alien" vibe, perhaps, but done right it could be pretty good.

#15 TacticalBastrd

TacticalBastrd

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

I did a adventure that was very simialer. It took place on the Star Destroyer from the Death Troopers book. Party had a blast! I look forward to seeing what you come up with. 

"The probability of a successful dice roll is inversely proportional to the relative amount of negative impact its failure will have on your character."  -Murphy's RPG Corollary-

Co-Host of The Sabacc Table Podcast

#16 Crimson_red

Crimson_red

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

I like the Rakghoul idea, but if you're looking for something else, I've used the Charon death cult to great effect before.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Charon

I had the PCs trapped on a small remote colony in wild space, overrun with Charon; they had to travel through infested service tunnels from their crashed transport to the colonies power plant, then across the landing field, through the abandon residential area, to the broadcast tower to send instructions to a ship in orbit to destroy the hive center and send aid. It was one of the best adventures I ever ran, people still talk of 15 years later.

#17 Endrik Tenebris

Endrik Tenebris

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:07 AM

I did a adventure that was very simialer. It took place on the Star Destroyer from the Death Troopers book. Party had a blast! I look forward to seeing what you come up with. 

Yea, Death Troopers and its prequel, Red Harvest, both deal with "The Sickness," which is pretty much a Sith-made zombie outbreak (that is markedly different from the Rakghoul Plague, another zombie-like Sith-made outbreak.)  If you want zombies, go with The Sickness.  If you want mutants that work a lot like zombies, go Rakghouls.

Case in point, the Sith mess everything up.

FFG Star Wars RPG Content - Periodic Updates.  Species, items, and more:  https://www.dropbox....3x57/qXerqp6BHq

FFG Star Wars Mass Effect Conversion - In Progress:   https://www.dropbox....woxz/xr0nnETGK4

#18 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

I've thought about running an adventure featuring a bunch of Gank gone crazy. Texas Chainsaw Massacre-style. So the PCs just have these massive hulking creatures who look like they're made out of shattered and bloody storm trooper armor and droid parts.

Edited by Inksplat, 15 July 2013 - 12:14 AM.

#19 Bronski

Bronski

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

I'm going to do something similar to this but with crazed droids. Essentially they will get trapped in a basically unknown starship graveyard. They won't know it but the place is home to a crazed group of droids who have been using a ancient gravity well projector to pull ships from hyperspace if they are unlucky enough to pass near. They kill off the organics, infect the droids that are with them so they join their side, and basically strip the ship of what they need.

The Rakgouls would also be a fun one to do.

#20 kelann08

kelann08

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

Case in point, the Sith mess everything up.

And that's why we can't have nice things.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS