Photo

How many maneuvers to go from engaged w/ ally to medium?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

Just trying to make sure i have my head wrapped all the way around this, because spacial visualization is not my strong suit...

If my character begins his turn engaged with an ally, and then I want to move to medium range from that same ally, that would cost 1 maneuver, correct?

• Emirikol likes this

#2 aljovin

aljovin

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

2 maneuver:

1 from Engaged to Short

1 from Short to Medium

EDIT: Humm, engaged with an Ally? I'm not sure anymore....

Edited by aljovin, 06 July 2013 - 10:10 AM.

• Emirikol likes this

#3 Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Unless the ally is swinging a club at your noggin, it shouldn't be hard to "disengage" from them. I think any notion that disengaging from an enemy might take longer is thanks to the fact that you have to back up carefully out of stabbing/bashing/headbutting range before you can safely turn tail and vamoose.

I've seen and pondered some discussion that it takes a maneuver just to disengage and then you can move to short, which would vastly change the flow of combat. Many games feature such a caveat.

Edited by Mark It Zero, 06 July 2013 - 06:00 PM.

• Emirikol likes this
"Over the line!"

#4 Voice

Voice

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

2 maneuver:

1 from Engaged to Short

1 from Short to Medium

EDIT: Humm, engaged with an Ally? I'm not sure anymore....

If you're engaged with an ally, you're stuck.  It takes a lawyer to disengage.

• aljovin likes this

#5 ValiantOne

ValiantOne

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

This exact subject was brought up at the Warhammer FRG board. The answer from FFG was it does not take a maneuver to disengage an Ally. The Star Wars Edge of the Empire Beta (pg. 131) also states no maneuvers are required to disengage an Ally. I am assuming this as not changed in the Core Rulebook (Sorry, don't have my copy yet!)

So the answer to your question is: It would only take 1 maneuver to go from an engaged Ally to medium range. You would be going from engaged to close range (no cost), then from close to medium range (cost 1 Maneuver.) 

Hope that helps! :)

Edited by ValiantOne, 06 July 2013 - 09:56 PM.

"The only thing needed for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing..."

#6 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

This exact subject was brought up at the Warhammer FRG board. The answer from FFG was it does not take a maneuver to disengage an Ally. The Star Wars Edge of the Empire Beta (pg. 131) also states no maneuvers are required to disengage an Ally. I am assuming this as not changed in the Core Rulebook (Sorry, don't have my copy yet!)

So the answer to your question is: It would only take 1 maneuver to go from an engaged Ally to medium range. You would be going from engaged to close range (no cost), then from close to medium range (cost 1 Maneuver.) 

That's what I figured.

Thanks!

#7 Tassedar

Tassedar

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

it takes Jean Luke Picard to engage you.

#8 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:31 AM

Pages 202-203 of the CB. It's a subsection nicely titled Engage or Disengage from an opponent. It further clarifies, as the last line in the entry, "[c]haracters do not need to perform this maneuver to leave an engagement consisting only of friendly characters or allies."

So to answer the OP, 1 maneuver to go from engaged to an ally to medium range.

-EF

• ValiantOne likes this

#9 Masque

Masque

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:37 AM

I think this is ever so slightly wrong.  It is not "no cost" to go from engaged to close of an ally.  Moving to a different part of close range from any target, friend or foe, is one maneuver.  Engaged is a specific location within close.  But it would only take one maneuver to go from engaged with an ally to medium.

#10 ValiantOne

ValiantOne

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

Pages 202-203 of the CB. It's a subsection nicely titled Engage or Disengage from an opponent. It further clarifies, as the last line in the entry, "[c]haracters do not need to perform this maneuver to leave an engagement consisting only of friendly characters or allies."

So to answer the OP, 1 maneuver to go from engaged to an ally to medium range.

-EF

Thanks for providing the Core Rulebook stance on this! I can't wait to get my copy... :)

I think this is ever so slightly wrong.  It is not "no cost" to go from engaged to close of an ally.  Moving to a different part of close range from any target, friend or foe, is one maneuver.  Engaged is a specific location within close.  But it would only take one maneuver to go from engaged with an ally to medium.

Interesting. I think that is what I said... The "no cost" is only applicable to ALLY disengagement, not enemy disengagement... Does that clear it up for you?   :)

Edited by ValiantOne, 07 July 2013 - 07:40 AM.

"The only thing needed for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing..."

#11 Endrik Tenebris

Endrik Tenebris

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

Instead of thinking of Engaged as its own distance, think of it under the subheading of close range.  You are only engaged with something if you are close enough to interact with it, and you only need to make a special maneuver to get away from it if it is actively trying to prevent that from happening, or would do something bad to you if you showed your back to it.

FFG Star Wars RPG Content - Periodic Updates.  Species, items, and more:  https://www.dropbox....3x57/qXerqp6BHq

FFG Star Wars Mass Effect Conversion - In Progress:   https://www.dropbox....woxz/xr0nnETGK4

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS