• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

I personally will shy away from letting my players be survivors of the Clone Wars and Order 66 unless they can back it up with some very plausible reasoning.

Heh, closest I got to this was playing a Clone Trooper (later generation Kamino-grown batch) that had wound up deserting from the Stormtrooper Corps.  It only came up briefly in the campaign, but he did follow Order 66 when it was given.

But I agree with you, playing a Jedi refugee (aside from being a bit trite) probably isn't very plausible in this system, at least as things currently stand, unless you're going to introduce some significant house rules, at least with most people's conception of what sort of skill base a Jedi refugee should have (namely, lightsaber proficiency and better-than-average ability to use the Force).

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#82 Legate71

Legate71

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

It's a description, not a mechanic, but ok, fair enough :ph34r: draw.

Nice to see two of us can agree to a draw.

Actually, I haven't played Cyberpunk 2020 in a very long time, though I did try to start up a Judge Dredd game (Traveller) not that long ago.  Either way my opinion here is not based on a life path system.

The lack of a lightsaber skill is one of the things I really like about the system as it is .  Though, I can see a lot of players going to their GMs 7 or 8 sessions into a campaign and advocating that that since their PC has been using their lightsaber in just about every physical altercation they should be able to get better at the skill.  But, then that is why it is mentioned in the book that the GM should feel free to create such a skill when needed.

"I personally will shy away from letting my players be survivors of the Clone Wars and Order 66 unless they can back it up with some very plausible reasoning."

Why?  It is only 18 years in between the end of the Clone Wars and the beginning of the game. You would seriously decline a player who had an idea for a character who was a politician during the Fall of the Republic, or was a member of military unit during the Wars (a human member I mean.)? 

Look, I fully understand and agree with the Spirit of the rules; all I am saying is the FFG will have to be very careful in the writing and editing process in the future to avoid printed information that could cause confusion.  I am also very intrigued to see how they plan to allow a Player to  get his FSE PC to the point of being a full Jedi knight in the upcoming releases.  Because, personally, I see some problems there as well.  But, we will have to wai and see. 

Edited by Legate71, 10 July 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#83 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Look, I fully understand and agree with the Spirit of the rules; all I am saying is the FFG will have to be very careful in the writing and editing process in the future to avoid printed information that could cause confusion.  I am also very intrigued to see how they plan to allow a Player to  get his FSE PC to the point of being a full Jedi knight in the upcoming releases.  Because, personally, I see some problems there as well.  But, we will have to wai and see. 

Seems to me that you are the only one taking issue with the fluff. It doesn't seem to be confusing anyone else. So I don't know how much more circumspect they really need to be with something that is just meant to jumpstart the players with ideas.

As to future Core books, the will contain specs which can be taken much like the current ones. So a Bounty Hunter/FSE could go on to take a Jedi Initiate spec in AoR to further his character. Perhaps leading up to a Jedi Guardian spec in F&D eventually. Doesn't seem to difficult to imagine.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#84 Legate71

Legate71

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

"As to future Core books, the will contain specs which can be taken much like the current ones. So a Bounty Hunter/FSE could go on to take a Jedi Initiate spec in AoR to further his character. Perhaps leading up to a Jedi Guardian spec in F&D eventually. Doesn't seem to difficult to imagine."

I guess this is where we get into a debate on deficiencies in training to become a Jedi Knight.  For me if you have a FS character that has spent most of his life being something else (doctor, smuggler, etc.) him becoming a fully trained Jedi knight would be subject of narrative RPing throughout the campaign; not all of sudden buying a new spec.  Perhaps, I am being too detail oriented again.

Also, recheck the thread there are one or two who have made the same point as I have.

Edited by Legate71, 10 July 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#85 Voice

Voice

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

"As to future Core books, the will contain specs which can be taken much like the current ones. So a Bounty Hunter/FSE could go on to take a Jedi Initiate spec in AoR to further his character. Perhaps leading up to a Jedi Guardian spec in F&D eventually. Doesn't seem to difficult to imagine."

I guess this is where we get into a debate on deficiencies in training to become a Jedi Knight.  For me if you have a FS character that has spent most of his life being something else (doctor, smuggler, etc.) him becoming a fully trained Jedi knight would be subject of narrative RPing throughout the campaign; not all of sudden buying a new spec.  Perhaps, I am being too detail oriented again.

Also, recheck the thread there are one or two who have made the same point as I have.

The in-game process of becoming a fully trained Jedi Knight, *absolutely* should be the subject of the narrative and RPing throughout the campaign.  Mechanically, however, it will be represented by buying into the appropriate specialization(s), and buying the appropriate skills and talents.

A character doesn't suddenly become a Jedi Knight *because* he put XP into a new specialization from a new book.  He puts the XP into that specialization because he's become a Jedi Knight.  (RP driving mechanical choices, not mechanical choices dictating RP.)

#86 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

I personally will shy away from letting my players be survivors of the Clone Wars and Order 66 unless they can back it up with some very plausible reasoning.

Heh, closest I got to this was playing a Clone Trooper (later generation Kamino-grown batch) that had wound up deserting from the Stormtrooper Corps.  It only came up briefly in the campaign, but he did follow Order 66 when it was given.

But I agree with you, playing a Jedi refugee (aside from being a bit trite) probably isn't very plausible in this system, at least as things currently stand, unless you're going to introduce some significant house rules, at least with most people's conception of what sort of skill base a Jedi refugee should have (namely, lightsaber proficiency and better-than-average ability to use the Force).

I have a player who made a droid (scout) who is 80 years old and is being blackmailed for information that he has in regards to his former master who was a Protector of a certain sith artifact. This is as far as i will let my players take it though.

#87 Legate71

Legate71

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

The in-game process of becoming a fully trained Jedi Knight, *absolutely* should be the subject of the narrative and RPing throughout the campaign.  Mechanically, however, it will be represented by buying into the appropriate specialization(s), and buying the appropriate skills and talents.

A character doesn't suddenly become a Jedi Knight *because* he put XP into a new specialization from a new book.  He puts the XP into that specialization because he's become a Jedi Knight.  (RP driving mechanical choices, not mechanical choices dictating RP.)

Ok, what would you tell a player who has been running a smuggler-FSE, has been playing as a smuggler, made no mention of his Force heritage  (other then using the odd force power now and then) and then suddenly (when it comes out) takes the Jedi Initiate (or whatever they will call it) Spec to become a Jedi Knight?

Also, how do you RP a PC getting the proper training without a teacher.  Again, going with the "fluff" of the universe, most people who train themselves usually become a slave to the Dark Side.

Edited by Legate71, 10 July 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#88 Voice

Voice

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

Ok, what would you tell a player who has been running a smuggler-FSE, has been playing as a smuggler, made no mention of his Force heritage  (other then using the odd force power now and then) and then suddenly (when it comes out) takes the Jedi Initiate (or whatever they will call it) Spec to become a Jedi Knight?

Also, how do you RP a PC getting the proper training without a teacher.  Again, going with the "fluff" of the universe, most people who train themselves usually become a slave to the Dark Side.

The same thing I'd tell him if he'd been running a purely pacifist doctor, and he suddenly decided to buy into the Assassin spec with no prior indication of even *wanting* to harm people.  I'd say, "What happened?  Why the sudden change in character concept?", then we'd have a discussion about what's going on, and if it made sense, I'd say, "Ok, sounds good." If not, I'd recommend at the very least playing up the whole 'exploring the Force' or 'wanting to kill things' angle a bit before going that route.

Rule 2 for a GM: Just because it's in a book, that doesn't mean you have to let your players use it.

Rule 3 for a GM: Just because you don't think it makes sense for a character, doesn't mean the *player* doesn't have a perfectly valid reason, if you just take the time to ask.

Even beyond that, it's not like just buying into a new specialization immediately gives you a whole bunch of new abilities.  It just gives you *access* to them.  It may be that buying into the new spec signals the player's intention to *start* focusing on that aspect of things.

Edited by Voice, 10 July 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#89 daddystabz

daddystabz

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

Get ready GMs for a lot of arguing with players.  Upholding the integrity of the story and RP'ing can be a daunting/challenging job.  Players loathe being told 'no' but sometimes it is necessary.

This is one reason this is quite possibly my LEAST favorite era to game in the Star Wars timeline.  I much prefer the Old Republic era.  I really hope FFG addresses whether they will officially support by way of game materials playing this game in different eras or if we have to cobble it all together based on what we are given for this one particular epoch in Star Wars history.

Edited by daddystabz, 10 July 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#90 FangGrip

FangGrip

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

Same way that anyone would learn to any skill without a teacher.

Books, a training hologram, trial and error.  Yes, many would succumb to the Dark Side, but while they have cookies they do not have an automatic brainwashing technique.  It is just easier, and the player would have to be very careful to train his emotions.

That said, what if he found his own personal Yoda out in the hinterlands?  Or formed a self-help group with other FSE he found?  I can think of a lot of possible story ideas and chronicle settings in that desire of a PC.  It won't be quick and clean, but heck...where is the fun in that?

Check out a truly universal RPG with Free Starter Rules at www.AlphaChronicles.com!

Check out the Consummate Gamer Blog for everything that isn't Alpha Chronicles.

#91 Legate71

Legate71

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

"Yes, many would succumb to the Dark Side, but while they have cookies they do not have an automatic brainwashing technique.  It is just easier, and the player would have to be very careful to train his emotions."

Ok, Wh...what did you just say?  Cookies and brainwashing...?

#92 daddystabz

daddystabz

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

I played a jedi master in the Dawn of Defiance campaign for Star Wars Saga Edition.  I played him from 1-20 all the way through the campaign.  This past campaign took place during the Rise of the Empire era.  Now that this game takes place in the Rebellion era I plan on playing the son or maybe just student of my original character from Saga Edition that learned what he could from my original character and has his holocron and a basic lightsaber.

#93 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

This is one reason this is quite possibly my LEAST favorite era to game in the Star Wars timeline.  I much prefer the Old Republic era. 

Me too, but I don't see the problem.  Fact is of the trillions of people in the universe, most would never encounter a Jedi or Sith in their entire lives, no matter what era.  The game is set on the fringes of society, which always exist.  Even in the middle of a galactic war people need things smuggled, stolen, transported, etc.

#94 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:12 AM

One of my main issues with d20 RCR ... Jedi [insert type] level 7 = Jedi Knight (at least as I remember it)...

This system allows for different concepts that does not - in the same way - require a "clean slate" story, this system allows for more of a background in my opinion.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#95 FangGrip

FangGrip

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

"Yes, many would succumb to the Dark Side, but while they have cookies they do not have an automatic brainwashing technique.  It is just easier, and the player would have to be very careful to train his emotions."

Ok, Wh...what did you just say?  Cookies and brainwashing...?

It is a common quote amongst sci-fi fans around here.

"Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies"

:D

Sorry, I presumed it was ubiquitous.

Check out a truly universal RPG with Free Starter Rules at www.AlphaChronicles.com!

Check out the Consummate Gamer Blog for everything that isn't Alpha Chronicles.

#96 A1istor

A1istor

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

I asked this in another thread but this one seems to have way more info. How does one become an fse? Do you purchase a skill from the tree and thats it? Also for a person to be fse can they spend their entire starting experience on fse?

#97 fjw70

fjw70

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

One could spend all their starting XP on the FSE spec and talents, but remember that characteristics (i.e. brawn, agility, etc.) can only be increased directly through XP at character creation. You can use XP on the FSE stuff at anytime.

#98 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

I asked this in another thread but this one seems to have way more info. How does one become an fse? Do you purchase a skill from the tree and thats it? Also for a person to be fse can they spend their entire starting experience on fse?

Right now, the only way to become a Force-Sensitive is to purchase the Force Sensitive Exile specialization, which grants you a Force Rating of 1 and thus makes you Force-Sensitive.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS